vaccination question

johns... thanks! I'm curious, looking at your timeline.. why did you get the SSN before the wedding and then have to [name] change it anyway later ?    WHy not wait till after the wedding if you know she will change her name?    ALthough it seems to process quickly

well, 2 reasons

1. I was just following the flow chart for K1 on VJ (here is the link)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1flow

Furthermore, I heard some horror stories about the cluelessness of the SSA. so I thought it might be easier to apply with the names matching exactly from her passsport and birth cert to the card. Instead of the new married name. Sounds redundant but I try to keep it is simple as possible for many of the Einsteins working in these offices.

2. I was not sure how long it would take to get the card. Some timelines waited a month to receive the card. She got the EAD stamp upon POE at JFK also. She was anxious to start a part time job instead of sitting around the house all day so that let her start work a few weeks earlier. Instead of waiting after we were married then applying for a card.

Its a free application so why not take advantage if you have the time.

Lastly my local office was quite on top of things and very efficient so in hindsight many I didnot need the extra effort.

I've have long wondered which entry points give the EAD stamp...  Being on the east coast, I guess I now know which airport I'll make my arrival  in! thanks...

Well others have mentioned and I agree.

You may not want go out of your way for your POE for JFK.

It just so happens we are in Northern NJ and my wifes English is very good to start a job easily.

We would have flown in Liberty or JFK anyway. So it made sense to opt for JFK for that reason alone. We now have the present reward of her being able to work a part time job already. The only problem is now if her EAD card comes in after her K1 is expired, she will have to stop working until the card arrives.

But a job at a supermarket, any for that matter is easy to come by where we are living right now.

It was a standard fare and she didnot have to ask for the stamp.

Go to the timelines on VJ and look at POE. That should give you a good idea where the stamps are happening.

Whether she will need to quit in an interim until receiving her card is dependant on her employer's policy not the government. If you have paperwork showing that the EAD is applied for they can let her continue. U.S. law recognizes the intent of a law above enforcement of the letter of the law. Employers recognise that the government can be slow in issuing documentation and many do not regard this as a cause for terminating employment. This is done on a case by case basis with the belief that documentation will soon arrive. Also many employers do not have the means of checking files for expiring I-9 records more than once a year. While this puts them in risk of fines they just don't have HR personnel to do it. In such cases if you say nothing you may be able to have the documentation before they know the old expired.

I have been doing employment documentation for 25 years and passed many agency audits including INS.