Found that my wife owns a nice home in China

I found, recently that my wife owns a very nice apartment in China. It is free and clear. I have some questions that maybe someone can help me with.

She says that it is not insured. She says that most insurers in China charge too much for insurance, and don't pay when there is a claim. Can we get a foreign insurer with a good reputation that might insure our home there?

When the time comes to move there from america, what can a person expect in the way of visa extensions, or a semi permanent visa to spend time there?

I found, recently that my wife owns a very nice apartment in China.  It is free and clear.  I have some questions that maybe someone can help me with. 

She says that it is not insured. She says that most insurers in China charge too much for insurance, and don't pay when there is a claim. Can we get a foreign insurer with a good reputation that might insure our home there?

When the time comes to move there from america, what can a person expect in the way of visa extensions, or a semi permanent visa to spend time there?

Iv got one too.. let me know what you find out...

Maybe a cheap place to retire..

I found, recently that my wife owns a very nice apartment in China.  It is free and clear.  I have some questions that maybe someone can help me with. 

I own a 2 bed room condo in China. Actually i have never heard about insurance on a home in China, not like in the U.S. where home insurance is almost a necessity.

My mom takes care of the condo for me. She rents it out and as of this year the rent income would be a profit since the investment has been paid off. It makes me feel better that this property is bringing my parents some extra income although they do not really need it. In the Chinese culture, we always have a responsibility to take care of our parents. However my mom said if we decide to move back and live for a period of time in China, we can stay in my condo. I belive if you are a foreigner, you definitely need to register at the local security office if you plan to stay in an apt, or any other private residential property.

I belive if you are a foreigner, you definitely need to register at the local security office if you plan to stay in an apt, or any other private residential property.

It seems to depend on the city and the length of time staying. I never had to register in the city in which my darling's Hukou is listed, even though I stayed at her home. However, they *do* require registration if you are working there or staying for more than a 30 day period (I think it is 30 days, but it may just be the length of a visit or stay).

In terms of property however, I have a few questions:

What does one need to do to obtain both names on the property?

And once both names are on it, can the foreigner set up a "hukou" or obtain a residence permit?

Lastly, if I have been offered a job for a short period of time, but with a high salary, what type of visa would I need? Would it matter if we lived in such a house given above, or would that not be relevant to the question at hand?

Thanks all!

I belive if you are a foreigner, you definitely need to register at the local security office if you plan to stay in an apt, or any other private residential property.

Definitely a must in Shanghai. My wife was called on day number 5 after my arrival through Pudong airport back in Sept. I always list our apartment address and her cell# on arrival. In the past I used to go to PSB after a few days and register no problem. In Sept. they wanted to fine me 500 RMB- a fine of 100 RMB a day. Also due to a prior post on this subject (post date in Sept) I asked TWO officers at 333 Wusong Shanghai Entry/Exit Bureau about this in Dec. VERY FIRM answer you have TWENTY FOUR HOURS TO REGISTER!. The only time I am not registered w/ the local PSB is following an extension issued by the E/E bureau. I believe that the computer at Pudong is tied into the local Shanghai PSB stations, There was NO other methods that would here generated the call from PSB asking my wife if I was there again. Even some smaller hotels in Shanghai require registration W/ PSB too. Likewise there was a quick hotel performed registration of ME in both Qingdao and Beijing. Hotel on the outskirts of Beijing called the room at 10PM and asked that I appear downstairs W/ Passport- not many Lao wais stay here.

NYViking also has posted similar info also.

Definitely a must in Shanghai. My wife was called on day number 5 after my arrival through Pudong airport back in Sept. I always list our apartment address and her cell# on arrival. In the past I used to go to PSB after a few days and register no problem. In Sept. they wanted to fine me 500 RMB- a fine of 100 RMB a day. Also due to a prior post on this subject (post date in Sept) I asked TWO officers at 333 Wusong Shanghai Entry/Exit Bureau about this in Dec. VERY FIRM answer you have TWENTY FOUR HOURS TO REGISTER!. The only time I am not registered w/ the local PSB is following an extension issued by the E/E bureau. I believe that the computer at Pudong is tied into the local Shanghai PSB stations, There was NO other methods that would here generated the call from PSB asking my wife if I was there again. Even some smaller hotels in Shanghai require registration W/ PSB too. Likewise there was a quick hotel performed registration of ME in both Qingdao and Beijing. Hotel on the outskirts of Beijing called the room at 10PM and asked that I appear downstairs W/ Passport- not many Lao wais stay here.

NYViking also has posted similar info also.

Wow, your experiences are *far* different.

I have only had to register in one city in China ever, and that was Xian.

I have spent more than 3 weeks in Beijing w/o registering.

I have lived in Chinese only places, no problem.

In Qingdao and in Shanghai I stayed in private houses with people who live there, never a problem.

Even during the SARS epidemic I never had a problem at all.

Whether in minority regions or in large cities, in all of the 16 provinces I have been in, never a problem.

In Shanghai, the hotel *did* share information on one of the occasions I stayed (and so the others, we stayed elsewhere), but I was never asked to see the police or show my ID.

It is strange when I hear these stories...

Am I just lucky, or are you guys just unlucky?

Little bit of both probably. If I remember correctly ANYONE not staying in a major hotel is required to register, period. As with most things, they likely only follow up with some of them, maybe at random maybe with some method in mind, maybe both.

I never registered in Beijing, Shanghai, or Hefei and never had any problem. I was nervous to not register, but Jun was worried about drawing attention (her dogs weren't registered, and she was occasionally harrassed by the police about it).

When I stayed with her in Hefei, it was no worry she said, as she has some very influencial friends there, to hear how she described it I probably could have done anything short of murdering someone and got away with it... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a call on a very good deal, 3 bedrooms 100 square meter in Nanning near the Guanxi university for 150,000 RMB for investment. Wondering if any one has experience buying realty in China as a U.S. citizen. Like restrictions and stuff. Currently I am living and working in Hong Kong with just a multi-entry visa into China. Any information on restrictions and the procedure of buying an apartment is appreciated. Thanks.