Medical Insurance

Guest Long_strider

The answer is usually yes.....

Blue Cross Blue Shield through an employer based program is covered under ERISA Rules. Your employer may pay for your premiums and that of family members or only yours as the employee and you must pay the additional monthly premium.

There are a number of "qualifying events" that allow a person to be added onto an existing policy, marriage, having a baby, or your spouse losing their current coverage are all typical qualifying events. You should talk with your HR or benefits person with your empoyler. Also usually once a year, the employer/insurer has an open enrollment period where they may join even if there is no qualifying event.

hope this helps.

long_strider

If it's your employer's insurance, then make sure you add her immediately after you get married or as soon as possible. The "qualifiying events" Long Strider described usually have a very limited window within the date of the qualifying event (I think it was a month on my company's plan) outside their usual enrollment periods to make a change to your policy.

Trigg:

International Medical Group. They specialize in health insurance for foreign immigrants. I have made arrangements for my wife Qing to be insured through them because I cannot immediately get her BC/BS. My medical coverage is not through work and apparently there is a waiting period at least here in Florida for get an immigrant on your policy. I believe it might be 6 months.

Ken

;)

But the VA says it will only be another two weeks. They started saying that last April so I, in my infinite wisdom, got UCIS and the VA and The SSN and my congressman involved. Needless to say so much governement involvment makes life oh so easy and makes everyhitng go so fast. WTF was I thinking?

Well, gotta go. My son plays semi-pro football and I'm off to watch the game and tell him all the things he is doing wrong.