Single Certificate

I think this has been discussed not so long ago. There is no single certificate but there is a currently not married document requirement for those who were married. This is simply your divorce decree which must be certified. You can also take the certified document to the US Department of State to have it authenticated for China if you want to later get married in China. In that case you must also take it to the Chinese consulate for authentication.

We both had no trouble getting our papers from our respective local offices.

Thanks for your reply, but neither of us has been married, so that means she does not need any type of certificate regarding her marital status at the interview?

I did a search for single certificate on here, but the issue still wasn't clear as to if she needed it at the interview. If so, where can she obtain one from?

Thanks

All beneficiaries need to get a "single certificate". Such a document attests to the notion that the subject person is free to marry either because there are no previous marriages, or because any previous marriage(s) ended in divorce.

Juxin had no previous marriages, and she had to get one too.

I asked her where she got it from, she said she originally went to the "local residence community headquarters" to get such a certificate (I think it's the place where the family hukou (sp?) book is maintained), but they said that the American Feds don't like such certificates anymore. And they directed her to go to the "provincial notorization" place. She went there and she wrote a brief statement saying that she is free to marry. They then notarized that statement and attached it to some other official document that somehow supports the notion that she was free to marry. And that worked because she passed the interview no problem.

Hope that helps :rolleyes:

K-1 visa based applicants must bring a "notarial marital status certificate" (a.k.a. single certificate) to the interview. The GZ website clearly spells this out in the K-1 Frequently Asked Questions section of their website:

What documents should I bring to the visa interview?

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

Seems like plain English to me. I would imagine that a K-1 visa based applicant who fails to provide such a single certificate would likely be denied a visa.

And of course *logic* would indicate that the mere submission of a divorce certificate would presume current capacity to get married, but logic has nothing to do with this process! I remember first hand right here on CFL of other gals who got denied because they only brought a divorce cert and not a single cert. to the interview.

My golden rule: Do onto GZ as they ask to be done onto :rolleyes: