Looking For Info On Visiting China

China is a safe place....

...Even if you travel into the neighborhoods of the "have nots" And there are a lot of those in China..

But, don't be stupid, don't show lots of money, and particulary, guard your passport..

There are a whole host of countries that I would feel less safe than in China --- ALL of Europe, and every country south of our southern border, starting with Mexico...

Remember, China is a nation of LAWS --- which it seems, is becoming less of the case world-wide..

That plays to the advantage of western visitors --- if a Chinese is caught commiting a crime against an American, he is very much up: Sh-t" Creek"

The only dangerous thing here in China is the taxi drivers :lol:

That is, before I start driving on the road. Last night I met two guys in a restaurant and they invited me to join them for a drink -- REGUOTOU (52%?) filled up in a beer glass for each person. When I finished mine, which is after two of theose large bottles of beer, one of them wanted to try another bottle of REGUOTO, I decided to leave. One guy offered to drive me back to my hotel (he already had another glass of those before I joined). I decided I could not trust any of them and offered to drive the car. God knows how many of the drivers roll down the window and throw up!

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up in New York City, that was dangerous, I really enjoyed my trip to shanghai last year. never felt anything negtive from hundreds of peopleI encountred... People seemed to be surprised to see me, a tall black man.

Anyway, I went to church there and many other things like jazz clubs... I felt very happy there. I want to visit many more times....

Welcome to CFL Sean!!!

Like you my family was not thrilled when I told them I was going to China to meet a lady I met online. I thought my Mom was going to have a cow! And I was 46 and had been to Korea twice in the military.

But I found that my SO took good care of me. People stared when we were at the bus stop, but it did not bother me. We went to the Cultural Village in ShenZhen and the children all wanted to say Hello. But that was ok. I found most of the people to curious, but not dangerous.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the experience.

Dave

I grew up in NYC and I have traveled many places... At no time did I ever feel any danger while I was in china... what you read in the papers and media are just talk between goverments mostly.... When you are a tourist, you just see the Chinese people. I was in shanghai last year... I only saw one policeman and no military. I attended church and was treated like a celebrity by almost everyone... others looked at me like i was from MArs, but I totally enjoyed myself... I hope this helps with your parent.... Go to China and enjoy it!!