Got learners permit

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this:

Jade passed the written drivers test and got her learners permit today. Only problem is they told us it is only good until the I-94 expires which is March 3rd. They said she will not be able to get learners permit or license after that time until she is a legal resident (greencard in hand). Is this correct?? Doesnt make sense to me - if she gets her EAD how is she supposed to get to work??

Thanks,

Jeff

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this:

Jade passed the written drivers test and got her learners permit today.  Only problem is they told us it is only good until the I-94 expires which is March 3rd.  They said she will not be able to get learners permit or license after that time until she is a legal resident (greencard in hand).  Is this correct??  Doesnt make sense to me - if she gets her EAD how is she supposed to get to work??

Thanks,

Jeff

The DMV's want proof of legal presence/residence before issuing a learner's permit, driver's license, or ID card.

As far as DMV is concerned, the I-94 is the only authorization she has to this proof.

Once she gets the EAD card, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

My wife's learner's permit expires when her EAD card expires.

Can I get an SSN card with my valid I-94 then take the SSN down to DMV and the permit then will not expire in March?

Thanks,

Jeff

SSA will accept your I-94 showing your status and your passport for picture ID to process your application for a SS number.

However, without the EAD card, the SS card will be marked not eligible for work. Furthermore, I don't think a SS number will help out too much at DMV. DMV follows DHS guidelines and they want to see proof-positive of legal presence/residence issued by DHS. They go by the expiration date, like on your I-94 or an EAD card.

File for the EAD if you haven't already. Try to see if you can get an interim EAD card from your local CIS office. There are some here that have done this and maybe can offer more details on it.

Can I get an SSN card with my valid I-94 then take the SSN down to DMV and the permit then will not expire in March?

Thanks,

Jeff

SSA will accept your I-94 showing your status and your passport for picture ID to process your application for a SS number.

However, without the EAD card, the SS card will be marked not eligible for work. Furthermore, I don't think a SS number will help out too much at DMV. DMV follows DHS guidelines and they want to see proof-positive of legal presence/residence issued by DHS. They go by the expiration date, like on your I-94 or an EAD card.

File for the EAD if you haven't already. Try to see if you can get an interim EAD card from your local CIS office. There are some here that have done this and maybe can offer more details on it.

Ucis offers interim EAD only if 90 days have past since you applied. EAD usually doesn't take that llong depending on your local office.

This is the link fro local ucis proccessing times https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptim...id=dgcCMKdUjCGf

The DMV's want proof of legal presence/residence before issuing a learner's permit, driver's license, or ID card.

My wife and step son both got an Oregon Id card at DMV with just there passport for ID... No residence address aked for...

They now have Id with our residence address on it...