Well just a quick update.

My sister-in law was approved for a tourist Visa today! She was only asked 3 questions:

1. Where are you going to visit?

2. Why do you want want to go to the USA?

3.Where do you work?

"Congratulations, you are approved"...

Unlike most who have posted here, we did NOT give any financial support promise but we did promise to help, for speed and convenience, with health/travel insurance.

My own sister also added an invitation letter which may or may not have helped.

I am not certain of the exact Visa she will receive as it has not come in the mail yet but "I think" it is normally a 1 year multi-entry?

Anyway, just wanted to update and Thank everyone who helped with advise!

Well just a quick update.

My sister-in law was approved for a tourist Visa today! She was only asked 3 questions:

1. Where are you going to visit?

2. Why do you want want to go to the USA?

3.Where do you work?

"Congratulations, you are approved"...

Unlike most who have posted here, we did NOT give any financial support promise but we did promise to help, for speed and convenience, with health/travel insurance.

My own sister also added an invitation letter which may or may not have helped.

I am not certain of the exact Visa she will receive as it has not come in the mail yet but "I think" it is normally a 1 year multi-entry?

Anyway, just wanted to update and Thank everyone who helped with advise!

Each case is a unique situation - I think we tend too much to give black-and-white "do this" advice.

Even so, the I-134 is NOT any kind of a promise or obligation, but is simply a statement of the resources that MAY be available in the U.S.

The visa will most likely be a B-2 Visitor's visa, with one year validity and 2 entries. You can expect six months stays allocated for each one (may extend past the period of validity of the visa). Extensions of each stay may be applied for while in the U.S.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Still working on getting a visitor visa for my wife's parents.I have read everything here and it has been extremely helpful, but I still do not quite understand one thing. On the first post, under supporting documents, under inviters:

What is the notarial certificate of relationship?

I have a copy (not the original) of a notarized translated birth certificate of my wife which, of course, states her parents' names. Would this be sufficient to fulfill this requirement?

Hi,

Still working on getting a visitor visa for my wife's parents.I have read everything here and it has been extremely helpful, but I still do not quite understand one thing. On the first post, under supporting documents, under inviters:

What is the notarial certificate of relationship?

I have a copy (not the original) of a notarized translated birth certificate of my wife which, of course, states her parents' names. Would this be sufficient to fulfill this requirement?

That would be it.

• 3 weeks later...
Even so, the I-134 is NOT any kind of a promise or obligation, but is simply a statement of the resources that MAY be available in the U.S.

The visa will most likely be a B-2 Visitor's visa, with one year validity and 2 entries. You can expect six months stays allocated for each one (may extend past the period of validity of the visa). Extensions of each stay may be applied for while in the U.S.

Question re the I-134, or is about the B2 visa?

Trying to help a 25 y.o. Chinese citizen friend get a B2 visa for about 4 weeks so she can make some visits to grad schools. She has probably got all her ducks in a row and a decent case for proving "strong ties" to return. She will be traveling with a VISA credit card.

Can I help by doing an I-134? Or, otherwise provide some kind of letter? I think I understand the strategies and rationale for the process but, now that clock has started, I am a little nervous. I am willing to help her out should anything unexpected happen.

Also: she would like to have 7-10 days tourist activity in her itinerary. Is there any problem with that? She will shorten or lengthen her visit to increase her chances of obtaining the visa because the ability to make the school visits is paramount.

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by Greg.D. (see edit history)

Question re the I-134, or is about the B2 visa?

Trying to help a 25 y.o. Chinese citizen friend get a B2 visa for about 4 weeks so she can make some visits to grad schools. She has probably got all her ducks in a row and a decent case for proving "strong ties" to return. She will be traveling with a VISA credit card.

Can I help by doing an I-134? Or, otherwise provide some kind of letter? I think I understand the strategies and rationale for the process but, now that clock has started, I am a little nervous. I am willing to help her out should anything unexpected happen.

Also: she would like to have 7-10 days tourist activity in her itinerary. Is there any problem with that? She will shorten or lengthen her visit to increase her chances of obtaining the visa because the ability to make the school visits is paramount.

Thanks,

Greg

Yes, your I-134 will most likely help.

The length of stay granted at the POE is usually 6 months. Her itinerary should show what her plans are. This is not set in stone, but may be changed at any time for any reason.

Yes, your I-134 will most likely help.

The length of stay granted at the POE is usually 6 months. Her itinerary should show what her plans are. This is not set in stone, but may be changed at any time for any reason.

Thanks! I'll complete it ASAP, THEN.

I'll post back to this thread if she is successful.

Greg

Can I help by doing an I-134? Or, otherwise provide some kind of letter?

My friend got her visitor's visa. She declined the offer of the I-134 but did accept a friendly letter of support. Also, she put my name as contact person on the DS-160 (if that is the name of the online form). She had a stack of documentation and color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us. However, the officer did not even look at that but, rather, asked 3 questions:

1. What is the purpose of your trip?

2. What do you do? (as in "what is your job")

3. How long do you want to stay?

The interview was relaxed and friendly and ended with "Congratulations! You got your visa". So, it is possible for a young, pretty, single woman to get a visitor's visa. In so far as I "coached" her I advised against memorized, canned answers (especially if she found them on the web somewhere) but to just be natural and open. She had nothing to hide. I suggested that consular officers have had it up to here (holding hands to eyebrows) with the BS and she could help the officer do her job by providing clear, understandable answers that got to the point.

As we all do, she was all over the web looking for the group wisdom on Beijing embassy interviews and it was mostly quackery. Which leads to one of our common conversations about how Chinese prefer to believe each rather than Elvis himself but I dont think I have persuaded her (yet) to believe otherwise.

Greg

• Like 1

Can I help by doing an I-134? Or, otherwise provide some kind of letter?

My friend got her visitor's visa. She declined the offer of the I-134 but did accept a friendly letter of support. Also, she put my name as contact person on the DS-160 (if that is the name of the online form). She had a stack of documentation and color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us. However, the officer did not even look at that but, rather, asked 3 questions:

1. What is the purpose of your trip?

2. What do you do? (as in "what is your job")

3. How long do you want to stay?

The interview was relaxed and friendly and ended with "Congratulations! You got your visa". So, it is possible for a young, pretty, single woman to get a visitor's visa. In so far as I "coached" her I advised against memorized, canned answers (especially if she found them on the web somewhere) but to just be natural and open. She had nothing to hide. I suggested that consular officers have had it up to here (holding hands to eyebrows) with the BS and she could help the officer do her job by providing clear, understandable answers that got to the point.

As we all do, she was all over the web looking for the group wisdom on Beijing embassy interviews and it was mostly quackery. Which leads to one of our common conversations about how Chinese prefer to believe each rather than Elvis himself but I dont think I have persuaded her (yet) to believe otherwise.

Greg

VERY excellent work, there. Great research and attitude!

• 6 months later...

Question:

My wife has just received her green card. During her interview, the officer requested joint sponsorship as my income was too low (I'm still working toward my PhD).

For my wife's parents to visit on a B2, could my low income affect their chances? Are we the only ones who can sponsor them, or can we get joint-sponsorship for them?

Lastly, if the B2 could be unsuccessful due to income, what other options might we have to allow her parents to visit?

(Just to clarify, they'd only be here a month or two and then return to China. They're not immigrating.)

Your low income will not affect parents chance at a visit visa, the consulate is only concerned if the visit visa applicant poses a possible immigration intent.

The only factor you would show is possibly a place they will stay whine visiting, then again like any other tourist they would be self supporting.

Excellent. Thanks for your quick reply.

One more question:

From looking over this topic (and others) it now appears that the application is done entirely online. Is this correct or did I misread?

Yes, the DS-160 is started here: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ and then continued here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/

Question:

My wife's daughter has visited us here in CA twice now (each time on a new tourist visa). She only stayed less than 2 months each time and returned to China. On her last visit we started the process for an immigration visa which I assume will take many years until a number is available for her.

Since she has had 2 previous B2 tourist visas in the past, do you think she will have a difficult time getting B2 visas while waiting for her immigration to become available?