Hey Robert!

Since I write poetry and am interested in Zen, I like the plain and natural paintings... maybe something of a landscape, or a hut by a stream, maybe someone working in the field... doing their every day chore or the experience of everyday life.

Or if the painting represents a famous Zen saying, and displays the naturalness:

Here is master Dogan's famous 'moon in a dewdrop': "Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor the is water broken. Although its light is wide and great, teh moon is reflected even in a puddle an inch wide. The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in dewdrops on the grass, or even in one drop of water."

I like that fact that not only are chinese letters just letters but art too, chinese also seem to design many of thier houses into art. I am very fasinated by asian art, even a simple painting can have many meaning and depth to it you can not just look at asian art and walk away, many time you have to understand just what the artis was trying to convey to you.

robert

So how does that differ from western art or calligraphy? I think a big difference is that in western art and calligraphy the object is all important where as in Oriental Art the open space is the focus and defines the object. This influence is seen in the expressionists and minimalists.

So how does that differ from western art or calligraphy?  I think a big difference is that in western art and calligraphy the object is all important where as in Oriental Art the open space is the focus and defines the object. This influence is seen in the expressionists and minimalists.

ok, I agreed with you at Oriental Art's open space.. and even its influence to minimalist art (and maybe even authors)... but minimalism was a reaction or movement away from expressionism.. Expressionism was "expression defines form"; In minimalism, "space defines objects"..

• 2 weeks later...

what I find interesting is asia art has a style that does not change much over the centuries, most masters had to learn for at least 30 to 50 years under another copy thier works until they are allow to create thier own work, very few broke away from thier training to become different. Viet nam is interesting in the fact they have embrace european art because of the french inthe early 1900s, and have mix the two worlds into thier own style.

Bronze work of china is still practice today as it was in anient china. I'm hoping in the years to come I get to see many of the artists and thier craft in Viet Nam and China, more I learn about the art the more respect I have for it.

robert