Certified copy of passport

Hi all,

I remember a member or two here posting thet their fiancee was asked to provide a certified copy of their passport. So, I decided to send Jun one just in case.

However my city court refused, saying that you CAN'T make a certified copy of a passport...

So what's the real story? Am I asking the wrong people? Do I have "certified" confused with some other term... or was that GZ's way of saying "no"... "Bring us something that doesn't exist, then we'll give you the visa"

I figure someone out there knows.

Jason,

It is legal to copy passports. I personally read the law when they had to look up whether it was legal to notarize a copy of my driver's license and social security card. I had it notarized too, just for grins. ;)

The second page of the legal instructions for a notary explains what can and can't be notarized. The passport is a legal document which can be copied and notarized (along with my driver's license and Social Security card).

Suggest you simply go to a different notary, (one who knows the laws or can at least look them up). :wub:

-jim and Ning Ning

CERTIFICATION is what needs to be done to when you are in China, after you have had the documents NOTARIZED by a Chinese notary.

Certification is done at the county seat. There's a place on Shamain Island that can handle it, takes a day and a small fee. If my memory serves correctly, after the documents have been certified you can take them to the consulate and have them put a stamp of approval on them, after which they will serve as legal documents as far as the USA is concerned.

I had to jump through these hoops to get my wife a SSN before she set foot in the USA. (Don't try this now, the rules changed days after I got her number).

CERTIFICATION is what needs to be done to when you are in China, after you have had the documents NOTARIZED by a Chinese notary.

Thats what I thought, thanks for the clarification. Jason can just send a notarized copy and Jun would get it certified. I'm my case my wife would get hers notarized and or a certified copy.

Thanks

I was under the impression for the interview your fiancee just needs the passport and visa pages notarized along with the I-134 notarized.

Ken

Yes, but these are "American" documents. You can get a color copy of your passport made and notarized in the Citizen Services section of the consulate. I don't recall how much this normally costs. You don't need to have these certified.

Smiling Face

Thanks for re-posting your timeline Wayne

Your welcome! Maybe we'll see now how long it takes to get an interview after going thru the NVC with the P3 and paying the Visa Fee and providing financial information ( I-864).

I tried to get my wifes passport notorized here in the US for the IRS and the ITN number. The man said only if I see the original passport and her in person. I showed him the Chinese notorized copy and he said he couldnt read chinese. I was Lucky and I had a Co-worker who is a Notary and knew I was married to my wife so they Notorized the Copy of the Passport I had.

If I understand it correctly. The Chinese passport/visa can be certified, but the U.S. passport/visa should be notorized.

If anyone else is under a different impression please post it, I need to get a copy of my wife's passport (taxes).

T

OK let me set you all straight,, your close but a little confused..

You do get your passport or any document you want a copy of certified here is how it works and the confusion you are having.

You have your signature notorized when you SIGN something ie I write a letter and sign my name in front of a notory they confirm with signature and stamp that your are the person signing..

Certifing a document does not include any signature in fact if you sign a document you want certified as a true copy it would cancel the notorys stamp..Only the Notory signs a certified copy. They attest to the fact that they have see the original and that the are giving their OK that this is an exact copy.

You are going to send a CERTIFIED COPY of you passport or what ever document you are sending.. What the Notary does is ceritify it as a true copy. They have seen the origanal which you will present to them they look at it and say yeah its the same and Certify that they/you have made a true copy of the original.

How I do it is like this I go to my trusty computer go into word or what ever look at the document you want certified and find a fairly clear spot in the document the one you want certified. I then match that spot to about where I will put this stement:

This is a true certified copy of the passport belonging to MIKE LAST NAME

Type that on your word document on your screen and print it now you will have a blank page with just the: this is a true copy etc etc on it.

Next do one of two things put the document you want certifed the original on your SCANNER passport etc and the piece of paper you have with the This is a true certified copy in your Printer feed tray orienting face up or down you want to print your copy from scanner on to this-- and hit your scanner when the scanner prints the document you will have a copy of your document with the this is a true certified copy on the page along with a copy of the document sort of like having this is a true copy in the back ground.

Or take it to a copy center and feed that through the copy machine and copy the document. Make several pages with the statement on it in case you need more then one to figure which side will print up,

Then take it to your Bank or Notory and have CERTIFIED as a true copy.

Thats what you need to tell them.

You printed this already and is in the back ground of the document copy.

The notory will stamp and sign either above or below the TRUE certified copy statemet and will love that you did this and now you have a certified copy of your document.

I do this in color on my scanner and printer and it is very impressive.. The Notory will love it and ask how did you do this :D

Oh and by the way if YOU make the copy and just want it certified as a true copy they are not breaking the Law on any document you present you are just asking them to verify/certify with notory stamp that it is a true copy. So if you want to report yourself to the law I guess that would be up to you. They did not make the copy so what you do is really none of their business. They just verify/certify that it is a true copy.. I have NEVER had any Notory balk at doing this. Most know about certifing a true copy.

What I can't figure out JP, is why you don't just send Jun the damn passport by DHL ~?

My understanding is that you can't go --- and have no immediate use for it.  She, of course can bring it back to you after her interview, which we all expect to be a slam - dunk!

Merry Christmas !

I would be careful about sending my passport anywhere without me.. US Passports on the black market bring I am told from $15K to $25K think about it..

See my posting above for the answer..