Biggest luxury for American in China

I was surprised on my first trip to China last January that many homes and public places have bathroom facilities without toilet seats. Apparently this is not unusual in foreign countries. This was my first trip abroad.

Fortunately I stayed in hotels and apartments that had that were equipped with this luxury on all of my three trips this past year. I am still trying to figure out the proper techniques if necessary.

Just thought to lighten up things a bit. Too many people too serious of late.

Ken

. :D :blink: :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised on my first trip to China last January  I am still trying to figure out the proper techniques if necessary.

"proper technigue" ??? LOL :P :P :D

How about: Drop em, squat and let er rip!

Note: Especially fun on a moving train!!!

P.S. Brink your own TP, small torn sheets of newspaper and magazines don't really get the job done (not to mention the comfort factor)!!

My big suprize was paying a yuan or 2 for a public toilet in Shanghai and seeing that the patrons still had to squat!

Luckily for me, I was able to save my dirty business for our hotel with a western bathroom.

They had an article in the Los Angeles Times about Chinese toilets right around the last time I visited in August. Beijing is worried about their reputation if the entire world sees the state of their public toilets during the Olympics when they are next held in Beijing.

They have a toilet budget of $12,000,000 to build state of the art toilets. Of course this is only in Beijing.

PF

Actually many chinese prefer to use toilets without the seat top, because it is cleaner. Thinking about you sit on the top that everyone else has been sitting on? Here in the U.S., bathrooms are equipped with paper seat covers and that helps a lot; In Germany, I happened to sit on a toilet that has an automatic seat cleaning sys. The seat moves around by itself. In Beijing Airport, most toilets are western style; however you would see chinese ladies line up for Chinese toilets.

So last summer, I'm in Changsha with Fei, and we are shopping on the busy walking street, and my time comes --- trots if I don't find a place fast. I duck into WalMart, was there the day before, and know they have squat toilets --- its an overflow crowd --- guys in line for the toilets --- but I notice that one stall is open in the back --- the one with the handicapped symbol on it --- the Han guys would rather wait in line than use it. I can't wait! So I go in the stall ---- western toilet !! :blink:

The concept of the seated flushing toilet is strange. Give the poop trench a chance. Squatting is a natural posture and there is no inward pressure applied against the buttocks. This is more conducive to bowel movement.

Try it a few times and you may discover your toilet at home is just a creature comfort. I'm thinking about destroying mine.