Cell Phone Question

voltage adapter is easy. first though, look at your power pack... if it says AC 100 ~ 240... or something 220 or over as the high-end... you can just plug it right in no problem. So many electronics are made in China or other Asian countries (other than Japan which uses 100 volts) they support a wide range of voltages.

If you still need the adapter, Radio Shack has them, as well as many travel sites online.

Yes it's expensive. I used mine (ATT Wireless) in an emergency on my first trip. On subsequent trips, I had expensive calls from people who didn't realize I was out of the country.

ATT even charged me for calls routed to my voicemail. So don't turn it on in China unless you need it. I told folks to use email to contact me while I was there.

I used mine for text messages last March. But in September, that didn't work.

I bought a cell phone from CellularAbroad to use in China. That's much more economical.

If your phone is GSM you can buy a prepaid sim card at the airports from a peddler it will give you use of a phone in China alot cheaper then a US company.

Are some U.S. phones that easy to just swap a card in? I've always thought the U.S. cell phone system sucked. I used the same cell phone to go all over Asia just buying new cards in each country and it was sweet. Then the last time I was in Hong Kong I bought a card with global roaming. It's a bit too expensive to use in the U.S., but it makes calling while traveling really convenient.

People still laugh at my old phone though ... it's a brick that's about 7 years old. MY U.S. phone has a digital camera and everything. If I ever decide to move back to China, maybe I'll buy a new phone there.

Bob, Lee and Se Lang: Thanks for the heads up!!

Leave it to a phone salesman to tell me that Yes, I can make calls from China and convienently leave out the fact that it costs $2.99 a minute!!!

Gee, it almost sounded too good to be true! hehehe

Looks like I'll go the sim card route to get service and maybe an online calling card to call the US. I think I remember a few that can originate calls from China.

Thanks again guys!! I would of had a hefty phone bill if not for CFL !!!

(another unsolicited endorsement!!!) B)

Looks like I'll go the sim card route to get service and maybe an online calling card to call the US. I think I remember a few that can originate calls from China.

If you're going to buy a sim card in China, you might as well buy long distance calling card there too. They're sold just about everywhere in bigger cities. In Shanghai you can pick them up at convenience stores, shops in the subway and from street peddlers. You can usually get like RMB 150-200 for RMB 100. They give you the extra amount by giving you an extra card with the one you buy; you scratch off the code on the back and then can combine them onto one PIN. Then you dial a toll free number.

A couple of things to make sure of though:

(1) Some cards can only make calls in certain cities; if you're going to be doing travelling make sure you get one that lets you call from other cities as well.

(2) They have some cards that are only set up for domestic long distance, others only for international, and some for both - make sure you get the one you want.

(3) It might be cheaper using an online calling card (or your U.S. based carrier), so see if you can compare prices. I know that the China Telecom card I used gave much better rates than I got using my AT&T card in China to call the U.S., but I never tried something like Onesuite while there. And if you're not going to be making a lot of calls from China, it may still be cheaper to use your existing online or U.S. calling card than buying one in China - otherwise you might spend RMB 100 for a card, make one call for like RMB 5 and the rest would be wasted (the amount expires after a certain number of months). Of course you could always leave the card with your SO ...

If you are in the market for a phone you can use in China, make sure it is an Unlocked tri-band GSM phone. When you get to China, you can get a SIM card there and it should be compatible. In fact, if you are a GSM subscriber here in the US, you can use it as well.

I have a tri-band phone and I've used it in Hong Kong, China, the Philippines and in the US, no problem, just make sure you get an Unlocked phone. If you travel to Europe, you can use it there as well.

You can find them on E-bay and even Ubid.

Another suggestion, you can actually get a SIM card that would work in China from a travel agent in the US. You will pay a little more, but it makes things much easier in the Airport. I called my girl as soon as I landed and they knew exactly when I came out of the gate.

good luck.

So you want a cell phone to use in China?

Don't use your U.S. phone in China. Too expensive. Most don't work here anyway, unless you can change out the sim card and it takes the kinds of sim cards they use in China. One advantage of US cell phone like US Sprint or ATT or Singular: if they are stolen, no one can use them once they are turned off. Over here (in China) if your phone is stolen, the thief can just replace the sim card and keep on using your phone. With cell phone specific cell service as in the states, if the phone is stolen and you call the service provider to report it and have the service turned off, the phone is useless.

Getting a phone here: For $100 on up to $400, you can buy a phone in China and then purchase a sim card from China Mobile (phone number and $12 worht of charges which should see you through 2 to 4 weeks depending on how much you use it).

The service is immediate and you don't need any credit.

However, for those wanting to save money, have your honey look for used cell phones sold on the net. Wait, don't get paranoid. There are tons of sights where you can browse for a cell phone you like (your honey will know which is best at what price. Here's a good place to start, all in Putonghau.

http://phone.listings.ebay.com.cn/_W0QQfro...ocustoverrideZ1

I'd go with a nokia model just b/c the quality is assurred and then you can email or call the person who is selling the phone and your honey can ask some details about its condition. If the guy wants to sell and you want to buy, ask the seller to come by your place or meet up at a tea or coffee house. Take a sim card with you, plug it in and test it. Ask about the battery. If it seems in good order you can buy a decent used phone here for $10 or $20 (only 1 year old maybe less) as the locals love to replace their phones as quickly as advertisements and new technology can turn the eye. Like the Japanese, cell phones in china are an extension of the new age urbanite.

DON'T BUY THE SONY ERICSON. It's cheap AND it blows chunks, particularly the low end ear speaker (can't hear a thing) and it sometimes rejects a sim card for no apparent reason.

Now when you get lost when you are out on your own, you can just call your girl or boy and ask him/her to tell a local how to help you get found:)

Best,

Chad

T-Mobile works in China. You need to call them beforehand to have them activate your account for international use. I used T-Mobile once in 2002. I turned on the phone and received the "You have 1 new voicemail" SMS message. This cost me 5 USD. I never actually made any calls.

A cheaper alternative in China is to use a GSM phone that supports the 900/1800 MHz frequencies. Most tri-band "world" phones are 900/1800/1900 MHz phones. Buy a SIM card from any mobile phone store. This does not require a contract or any form of identification. SIM card prices can range from 40 to 300 RMB, depending on the phone number you choose (lucky digits like "8" cost more than unlucky digits like "4"). You also need to buy a prepaid calling card to use in conjunction with your SIM card. These are sold in 50, 100, 300 and 500 RMB denominations. Just enter the pin number into your SIM card and you are good to go.

Prepaid calling cards with China Mobile have a validity of 3 months from date of activation. You can retain the SIM card phone number for up to 9 months with a zero balance. After that, it can no longer be used and the phone number will be reissued. There is no "nationwide" plan in China that I know about. You will be charged long distance and roaming when dialing/traveling out of the market area where you purchase your SIM.