Name Change

That is where you and I greatly dis-agree. You might be correct for all marriages in the US. However, that is a pretty off-base sweeping generalization for marrying a Chinese woman.

I'm not sure how much you really understand her culture. It is pretty disprectful to her father to assume your name.

If it works for you, fine. Just don't generalize. For me it was a given to honor her father.

I think you might better take a look at the replys to this post and realize that I am not making a sweeping generalization as you claim. More often than not, even when marrying a Chinese woman, when it is done in the US - the grooms name is taken. Your reaction would be similiar to me taking offense that your wife did not take your American last name. How could you disrespect your US father and not have your wife take your last name? I'm not sure how much you really understand American culture. It's pretty disrespectful to your American father to assume her Chinese name.

I honor my wife, my wifes father, and their Chinese heritage as much as anyone here rest assured.

My wife and I decided that since we live in America we will follow US custom in marriage. It was in fact an "obvious" decision for BOTH of us..

Jeff

Regarding statistics of name changes I found this online:

"Interestingly, over the past 10 years fewer and fewer women have kept their maiden names. According to a recent study by Harvard economics professor Claudia Goldin, based on Massachusetts birth records, the number of college-educated women in their 30s keeping their name has dropped from 23 percent in 1990 to 17 percent in 2000.*"

http://slate.msn.com/id/2097231/

I agree that most women do change their names- I think that just the use of the word "obviously" seems like the woman had no choice- but Jeff explained that his wife wants to change her name.. so it's just an issue of the word being taken out of context. I think "obviously" is a little bit of a strong word- it's definatly not 99% of women that change their names.

Also- it's not that Chinese women (when marrying a Chinese man) "don't often" change their names- THEY NEVER DO.

For me, I'm changing my name cuz I want our whole family to be the same.

• 1 month later...

We are thinking to keep her full maiden name in Chinese in US without my surname.

In China its Tang, Quanhua

In USA we will call it Quanhua Tang

Does anyone have any experiences or problems later on down the road if she keeps her full maiden name?

I know this might not be traditional but I feel myself falling inbetween since living in China for the past 2+ years and I have no problem with it.

thanks in advance

When Bing and I got married we decided to move her maiden name to her middle name and take my last name.  As far as Social Security, the DMV and our bank were concerned no problem.  When we filled out her AOS forms we used her new name.  When we got to interview the USCIS officer explained to us that we could use either her maiden name, my last name or a hyphenated last name using both but not use her maiden name as a middle name.  We opted for my last name but when her green card came it has her former last names first letter as middle initial. I would presume that the same issue would concern her first name. They will probably say no.  At some point though you could go to court and change it  I suppose.

Sounds like the song (name game) to me.... be-by bo Bing---Bing