Hotels in Guangzhou

If you can get on the Victory website, become a member, free, you can get real good prices. I know that my next trip, main building, deluxe room, oversized king bed, 320RMB night.

Hi blsqueaky,

Do you happen to know the website we can get a discount for the Victory Hotel? What about the other name of hotel that Dean Hall knows of? Do you know it?

http://www.guangzhouhotel.com/victory.htm

Thanks.

I checked out the youth hostal when I was there in August for info session. If I remember about 150rmb a night was the price. Being a backpacker myself its fine in quality.

I don't have a link so do a search. They even take reservations.

Excellent location also.

Lele -

Hi - I'm Dean Hall.

I stayed at the GZ Youth Hostel several times. It was around 160 a night, but I also had my wifes sister along, so I rented 2 rooms, and they negotiated the price - about 130 Y, I think.

The rooms are clean, you have Chinese tv, coffee/tea, tub/shower, western toilet.

It worked out fine for us. The beds are the "firm" chinese type.

I've stayed in the best and the worst in China, and when I close my eyes at night, they all look the same.

Dean

Oh - just a word of warning about the hotel policy.

You need to be married and show your little red marriage book if you plan on sharing a room with your SO. Otherwise you'll be renting 2 rooms.

Lele -

Hi - I'm Dean Hall.

I stayed at the GZ Youth Hostel several times.  It was around 160 a night, but I also had my wifes sister along, so I rented 2 rooms, and they negotiated the price - about 130 Y, I think.

The rooms are clean, you have Chinese tv, coffee/tea, tub/shower, western toilet.

It worked out fine for us.  The beds are the "firm" chinese type.

I've stayed in the best and the worst in China, and when I close my eyes at night, they all look the same.

Dean

Oh - just a word of warning about the hotel policy.

You need to be married and show your little red marriage book if you plan on sharing a room with your SO.  Otherwise you'll be renting 2 rooms.

Thanks for the information!!!

Actually, she will go with her father (the reason that I can not be there is my university, so I wanted to find them an inexpensive place), so I hope that this is ok.

However, the only time in China I experienced that it was no problem, and we were able to talk our way in anyway. Hmmm...how interesting!

But thank you so much for the recommendation. :lol:

(I personally have roughed it in Laos and Cambodia already, so even when I went to the west of China, it was not a problem.)

But, when I am in China, we will usually find a place that is clean and reasonably safe. I know that GZ is more expensive, as even in SH and BJ we could usually meet this for 100RMB a night, so 130 is definitely not a problem! Thanks...

The Baiyun next to the airport was not bad, the food was good at the resteraunt, and if you like airplanes you can watch them till your hearts content. The resteruaunt has I think pick and cook seafood from there large fish tanks, lobster fish etc. I never tried as the airline was picking up my meal tab. :lol:

Just back from GZ this morning...

Fei got her visa ~!

And we were on a rather intense time schedule --- Sanya just before the interview, but in GZ stayed at the Bai Ling, with a great, unrestricted Pearl river view -- This is a nicely appointed hotel (inside the rooms) --- with very nice fixtures, black granite and walk in showers in the baths, with great water pressure ~! .... good beds, quality sheets, and ok service. But catering to the Chinese clientele --- so almost no English at the front desk ---- $34.00 US per night.

Located 5 minutes by cab to the Consulate, and also on the edge of old Canton ---- interesting walking district in the winter --- like right now --- too hot in the summer. Also close to one of the Pearl River "dinner boat" docks ---- a surprisingly nice experience !

... And perfect for entertaining extended family (before snatching their daughter off to America!!) :D

WE stayed 4 nights last week at the Customs Hotel on Shamian, price was 298RMB per night. It is just a five minute walk from the Consulate.

Just got home from Beijing with the SO, we nailed the interview on the 9th!

I'll post some notes on our GZ experience here in the next few days.

Met some great people from 001 and from CFL while in GZ, you know who you are! And Congrats to all who got there visas!!!

:D