Actual Divorce Decree?

Guest Gene

Seeing How I have a couple of them to get together if needed, what are the VO's asking for when they want an"Actual" divorce decree?

I have the certified ones that I ordered over the phone from the state. They are an offical form with the cerified stamp and all the names and dates, no details of what happened through the divorce. This is what I used for the I-129f and the I-130.

Are the "Actual" decree's the thick stack of papers with all of the details?

What is meant by "Notorial" divorce dercree?

Is that another name for the Certified ones?

If the world was flat, would they put a fence around the edge so us confused people would not fall off? blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

Or just sell tickets? unsure.gifunsure.gif

From your state's vital records department you can obtain certificates of marriage, divorce, birth and death. These certificates are state proof.

The "actual" divorce decree is the the papers detailing the conditions set forth by law, drawn up by an attorney, signed by a judge and recorded in the courthouse of the circuit court. That is what the VO asks for. They already have the certificates that accompanied the petitions. I surmise that they want to see the "actual" document. Not the certificate.

Once recorded in the clerk's office of the circuit court, the divorce decree becomes a public record and anybody can get a copy. Well, I say anybody; the clerk may question someone's intent if the clerk feel's that he or she needs a justifiable reason from an individual to release a copy.

For a few dollars, the clerk will print off a copy, sign it, and emboss it with the jurisdiction's seal. Make sure to not only get signatures on all your necessary papers, make sure they are also all embossed with the appropriate seal.

Governments love to see sealed documents!...... :lol:

When I submitted the I-129F, I sent a divorce certificate from the state where my divorce was filed. I received an RFE from TSC asking for the divorce papers taht were signed by a court official(judge), so I had to obtain those and send them in.

I will be sure to send copies of both to my MM for her interview. In case any documents have been misplaced.

Dave

When I submitted the I-129F, I sent a divorce certificate from the state where my divorce was filed.  I received an RFE from TSC asking for the divorce papers taht were signed by a court official(judge), so I had to obtain those and send them in.

Thats interesting. I only sent the divorce certificates and it went through without a RFE.................I will also have the actual divorce papers for the interview

When I submitted the I-129F, I sent a divorce certificate from the state where my divorce was filed.  I received an RFE from TSC asking for the divorce papers taht were signed by a court official(judge), so I had to obtain those and send them in.

Thats interesting. I only sent the divorce certificates and it went through without a RFE.................I will also have the actual divorce papers for the interview

This was a real nit picker for TSC, and many people got RFE'ed because their evidence of divorce did not comport with TSC's notion of what a divorce decree should look like. For a time (don't know if the practice still persists), TSC wanted to see a decree signed/stamped by the judge. Other service centers were more flexible.

At the interview, Jingwen had her notarial divorce decree and a copy of my actual divorce papers (signed by the judge). The VO didn't bother to look at them, but Jingwen's notarial divorce decree was in the paperwork that the hospital assembled prior to the interview.