Chinese childbirth

We are expecting our baby any day now and Jennifer wanted me to find out about a tradition that says she is supposed to stay in bed for 30 days?  She wants to let my parents read about this tradition.  Do any of you guys know of a web site that explains this? :D

There is a CFL member here who talked about this tradition during the time his wife had their child. His username is "robhon"; you might try searching his posts to find out some information.

Guest hakkamike

Leonard and Jennifer best wishes with your newborn, I bet that your parents will understand your wife’s believes and culture-tradition when your wife or you explain it to them. I was just thinking, if I had another person inside of me growing for 9 months and then gave birth, I think I would want to just rest a month too in bed and I probably would not care if someone thought I should take a bath or not. Boy, girl or are you guys waiting for the delivery?

Later, Michael Perez

I can't pull up the geocities link but if it says no shower for a month no way!! hehehe

What Bea has told me ... just sounds like help around the house and with the baby. Seems like it is a mother's help and handing down info on caring for a baby to the daughter and maybe a watchful eye for postpartum blues..

We told her mom on the phone last night NO congee!!! heheh but that would be 4 to 6 months later. Her mom did offer to raise the baby for the first 3 years so we could get settled... heheheh Bea didn't even ask me this one.. just said NO way!!! and told me about it after..:P Her mom was concerned.. what the baby eat??

So actually this tradition I am looking forward to.. I figure any woman who can shower a 6 to 8 week old cat on a regular basis and not have one scratch on her HAS to know what she is doing!!

Bea is going to install a real MahJong game on her HD this way her mom can play and learn about the PC so she can teach Bea's dad as well and we can chat and web cam from the states. Plus I don't think her mom could go cold turkey for 4 to 6 weeks!

Mark and Bea

This tradition is becoming quite popular in the US as well. Many midwifes and doulas are encouraging new moms and babies to spend the first 4 weeks bonding and resting (after such a hectic ordeal as birth is to both parties, it is quite logical!). The skin to skin bond for mother and child is very important, especially for breastfed babies (Human milk for human babies!!!) My daughter and I spent as much time as possible nesting in the warm little cocoon of our bed. She is a well attached and very independent baby and I think it has much to do with the warm, soft, and pleasant welcome she was brought into the world with. Some people choose to leave the house and take the kid out into bright lights and loud noises right away (not to mention exposure to germs). The transition from womb to world does not need to be abrupt and harsh. As for the showering, here in the US it is not as important because we have clean well-treated water. Women are often left with wounds that must heal and if the water is not very clean, it can mean infection and prolonged recovery.

Congratulations to all the soon to be mamas and papas!

Tazsa

• 2 weeks later...
opinions on whether this tradition still exists vary.  some say it is a tradition only in rural areas these days and considered backward in more sophisticated circles of chinese society.

lots modern city-folks still follow it. sometimes parents are insistent; mom and mother-in-law show up to take care of daughter, who feels she must comply.

Some people choose to leave the house and take the kid out into bright lights and loud noises right away (not to mention exposure to germs).

hi tazsa,

i think there are some recent studies showing that preventing exposure to "germs" and the outside world in infancy leads to immune system problems, like asthma later in life.

i never quite let go of a prior career working in newborn intensive care units, and now i just work a weekend or so a month. but your point about the harsh, noisy, bright environment is so well taken. i often wonder what we're doing to our babies in the unit, although i've noticed more and more emphasis on minimal stimulation by touch, noise, and light. still, you can't do critical care in the dark and without touching. and we save lots of little lives.

i would really love to visit a hospital in china, to see how they handle the kind of work that i do, but i'm just sort of a person off the street to them, i imagine, so can't imagine they'd have a lot of interest in showing me around. i expressed that to yan zi, but she never really followed up on it or seemed interested herself. oh well.

steve

i think there are some recent studies showing that preventing exposure to "germs" and the outside world in infancy leads to immune system problems, like asthma later in life.

Hi Steve, if you read the post again you will notice that I didn't say anything about preventing exposure to germs in "infancy." I was talking about the first 4 weeks of a "newborn's" life. I believe the transistion from womb to world should be as gentle, soft, and welcoming as possible. Of course infants must gain exposure to germs and get colds and flus, otherwise they will have much weaker immune systems later in life. Newborns on the other hand should be protected from germs. That is why health care professionals really stress the importance of washing one's hands before handling a newborn.

Thank goodness for people who do what you do! If only this sense of gratitude was reflected in your paycheck!

In China, NO ONE is permitted in the nursery to see the babies or have a look if they aren't a hospital worker. This trend is giving way to more western ideas of family (specifically husbands who have always been banned from attending the births or any prenatal exams with their wives) participation in the delivery room, but you will only find it in Shanghai, Beijing, or Hongkong. I threw a tissy fit when the doctor wouldn't let my husband in for the ultrasound...they gave in because I am laowai but they said it was the first time a man (who was not a doctor) had ever witnessed a sonogram being performed on a pregnant woman.