Besides all of the wedded bliss, taking regular trips to the Asian grocery, phone calls home to Mom nd Dad, getting to live with THE WOMAN I LOVE and blahblahblahblahblah.....

After we get married (on a K-1 visa), what is the next step? What forms do I file and with what govt. agency?

I know the AOS forms are out there, I know I need an SSN - but what else??

THANKS!!!! :)

....AND, Sarah and Xiao Xiao will arrive in the US (SFO) on Thur 9/2. I will go to her sister's home in CA at the end of the month - WOO HOO!!! I am so glad I spent July with her in Nanjing and GZ! Man, I cannot wait to see her!!!!!

:) :blink: :P :D :lol: :) :rolleyes: :lol: :D :rolleyes: :)

Does a non-immigrant (lets say - a K3) have to reside in the U.S. for a minimum amount of time to get SSN? Someone I know came to the U.S. and I asked if he's found any work (he came with an IR-1 immigrant visa). He said that he can't get a SSN because it hasn't been 3 months yet. Is that true?

Also, is it a requirement to have a SSN when you file for AOS?

In our case, my wife had to get her EAD card before SSA would even consider assigning a number. EAD first, then SSN. But it took 5 mos. to get the EAD card, and over a month to get the SS card.

Printed on the front of her SS card is "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION"

-a social security number isn't required to file AOS. You only need the alien registration number and the eight-digit red number on the visa.

Does a non-immigrant (lets say - a K3) have to reside in the U.S. for a minimum amount of time to get SSN? Someone I know came to the U.S. and I asked if he's found any work (he came with an IR-1 immigrant visa). He said that he can't get a SSN because it hasn't been 3 months yet. Is that true?

John, I think there are many variables at play here. In answer to your last question, you do not need an SSN to file for AOS.

As far as having to wait 3 months to get a card, I have never heard of this as it directly relates to the card. But, let me share my experience. We applied for EADs but since we did not receive them within 90 days, we applied for and got temporary EADs (one day service) which we then used to apply for SS cards. The Atlanta office of SSA then gave us a form letter stating that it would take at least another 45 days for them to verify the EADs with USCIS before they could issue the SS cards. It may be possible that your friend is in a siimilar situation, having to wait for an EAD or EAD verification.

But, IR-1 is an Immigrant visa, right? So, theoretically, he shouldn't have to wait for an EAD, right? Anyway - that's his (my friend's) problem.

I'm not so worried about my wife being able to work right away. Rather, I want her to start school and get her Bachelor's done ASAP. Does anybody see any problems if I follow this sequence:

1) File for AOS and EAD the day after she comes to the U.S.

1) Get her into school

2) Once we get the EAD, file for SSN

3) Wait for AOS approval

4) When eligible, apply to "remove conditional status"

Sometimes others can see possible problems better. So, does my plan seem ok? Thanks. I would really appreciate a response.

And ... and ...... is an interview required for EAD? or just for AOS?

Get the SSN ASAP do not even wait to marry at least she will have a number and as you know that does not change. If you wait to long they will not grant as visa has expired so if you marry right away should be no problem but if you are going to wait a month or so get the SSN right away. She shows he Visa and thats about it. We brought the birth cert. but they did not ask. had SS card in 2 weeks.

Good luck

That may work for K-1 but it certainly doesn't work for K-3 at least from our experience and other K-3 holders I have seen here. In the States, K-1 can obtain documents much faster than K-3.

That's one of the things( among many) I don't understand about the workings of the system! :blink:

Guest blsqueaky

John, I think there are many variables at play here. In answer to your last question, you do not need an SSN to file for AOS.

As far as having to wait 3 months to get a card, I have never heard of this as it directly relates to the card. But, let me share my experience. We applied for EADs but since we did not receive them within 90 days, we applied for and got temporary EADs (one day service) which we then used to apply for SS cards. The Atlanta office of SSA then gave us a form letter stating that it would take at least another 45 days for them to verify the EADs with USCIS before they could issue the SS cards. It may be possible that your friend is in a siimilar situation, having to wait for an EAD or EAD verification.

What I was told when I went to the SSN office here, my wife is in the system, but has to file the I-765. Called INS and they stated about 6 months right now. Chicago si working ono Feb apps now.

As far as AOS, I have to wait till I get that approved I-130 before I can file those forms. I know that you can read on the K-1/K-3 info site that they might take a copy of the NOA1 for the I-130, but I was told, "NOT"