Do you have a new hobby..

Hi...

Need a break from the.. well never mind.

The weather is still hot here and my new/old bike sits chained up with deflating tires as does my exercise program..sigh :wub:

I stopped smoking just about 2 years ago when I first came over here. Darrell and I were comparing bellies the other day! heheh that and getting older.

So now it is the bike for exercise and more walking in the city when we get back... but what I wanted to start a topic about is what new hobbies has anyone started?

I am learning more about Glider planes, rounding up simulator software over here, and will start reading up on the FAA rules. :lol:

I found that joining a soaring club as they call them is really not that expensive. bea is evn interested in it.. wow!! a new wife a new baby and a new hobbie!

Mark and Bea

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joining a soaring club and flying gliders sounds real cool. Having an ultralight is something that had always seemed interesting to me.

I was discussing with my wife that when she comes to the states it would be nice for us to get bikes since there are a lot of trail/paths in my area to ride. I plan to take her to a baseball game or two.

I've been playing on a slow pitch softball team which is a relatively new hobby. I used to play baseball when I was young, just for fun.

I like to ice skate a lot but haven't done that in about a year.

eating cheetoes, does that count as a hobby?

I have a two seat ultralite. well actualy it is considered an airplane because it has two seats. If you look around it isn't hard to find a true ultralite for around $3,000. Two seaters like mine start at around $6,000 used and are around $17,000 new. What??? Don't know how to fly?? Well, I'm self taught but true ultralites need no license and lessons are available.

What??? Too dumb to learn??? No problem, before I started flying fixed wing I watched a 20 minute video and bought a motor powered parachute. They are idiot proof. If you forget how to land someone can simply shoot out your fuel tank and the parachute takes over.

actually, ultralights are really cool, maybe someday esp since there is no need for license (I've been told that before). One of my co-workers owns a hot air balloon (popular in this area of Ohio), I believe there is a hot air club around here that has an annual ballooning outing.

Ah ~! Trigg....

NOW I understand what you meant about flying in to Portland ~! GREAT IDEA ~!

But better get started.... its going to start getting rainy here pretty soon ~! (actually, its been raining for a few days here , but thats unseasonal) So, Trigg, what do you do about the mountain ranges between here and Tenn. ~? (I hear the Rockies, particularly, are kinda high..)

A lot of my hobbies here in Oregon are dictated by the seasons...

Late August --- end of January, shooting and upland bird hunting...

We are having an unseasonal rainy spell, and that will begin an early season for the autumn variety of wild mushrooms: boletes, chantrelles etc...... there is a second season in the spring "morrels"

Summers I row a shell on the Willamette river several times a week (skinny boat) ...

There are always trips to several spots that I appreciate for wild trout, but I'm catch and release, kind of guy --- since I don't like the taste of trout. Crabbing with my daughters, combined with camping on the Oregon coast is good too --- (but I am a fair weather sailor, so that places some rather strict of limits on that activity.....) Hiking in Oregon is always good......

Well, Thomas, You are always welcome here in Oregon ~! 

Can almost promise a "group" of Candle members ~! particularly if you can  make it for one of our get togethers  ~!

(someday, I might even have my better half here to greet you as well................)

very nice, thanks B)

I was telling my Lao po about the starlight express that runs up from CA to WA. Would love to take that trip. I'm sure the two of us will travel to the pacific nw someday.

If you and the rest from that area are still posting when we plan a trip, we can plan it around a get-together.

T

Well, Thomas, You are always welcome here in Oregon ~!  

Can almost promise a "group" of Candle members ~! particularly if you can  make it for one of our get togethers  ~!

(someday, I might even have my better half here to greet you as well................)

very nice, thanks :lol:

I was telling my Lao po about the starlight express that runs up from CA to WA. Would love to take that trip. I'm sure the two of us will travel to the pacific nw someday.

If you and the rest from that area are still posting when we plan a trip, we can plan it around a get-together.

T

When you come through Portland give us a call. Many CFLrs here.