Do I still need a video tape?

Forgive me for butting in with a stupid question here - is the spouse not allowed to attend the visa interview if they are able to be there? I fully intend to accompany my husband if and when he has an interview, and I had perhaps foolishly assumed that they would allow you to interview together when possible ...

And what about other evidence besides videotape - I can produce reams of emails with my parents and many others (including myself), his English teaching credentials, etc.

Forgive me for butting in with a stupid question here - is the spouse not allowed to attend the visa interview if they are able to be there? I fully intend to accompany my husband if and when he has an interview, and I had perhaps foolishly assumed that they would allow you to interview together when possible ...

And what about other evidence besides videotape - I can produce reams of emails with my parents and many others (including myself), his English teaching credentials, etc.

If the system made sense, of course you would be interviewed as a couple whenever possible. But needless to say that's not the case. You'll have to wait across the street while your spouse has his interview.

I doubt they'll be interested in any english credentials. It seems they'll base their decision entirely on the brief face to face interview. I personally think it's ridiculous to put such an emphasis on verbal communication, but these people seem intent on playing "relationship police".

But then in that case (and obviously I am still living in a world where I expect things to make sense) wouldn't the fact that his English is stellar in the interview negate the need for a videotape? So why do so many people still need it?

I was actually amazed when I was at the BJ consulate to fight with an officer how many people being interviewed for non-immig visa couldn't (or wouldn't) speak English and still got a visa. And there was my husband with his American wife and excellent English being rejected ...

This is kind of a tangent, but he is still amazed how being my husband works against him and is still p'd off at Americans for it, so I am trying to gently coax him through the immigration process... and all this extra nonsense doesn't help much. And he was kind of throwing it in my face when we were at PSB arraning my own visa and it turned out to be very easy being married to him. I had to agree China is nicer in this regard - but then not so many Americans are trying to live here as Chinese trying to live there...

Yes, well, the fact that your husband speaks good english is probably one of the main reasons why he was refused the student visa. This the reality of our screwed up system.

As for the videotape. I'm in the same boat as you. My fiance's english is pretty damn near perfect, but now I suppose I'll have to get the videotape, just in case. Who knows what they might ask for? As Carl has pointed out, it seems as though they are now actively searching for excuses to deny people, hoping that we'll just "give up" I suppose...

If the system made sense, of course you would be interviewed as a couple whenever possible.  But needless to say that's not the case.  You'll have to wait across the street while your spouse has his interview.

I doubt they'll be interested in any english credentials.  It seems they'll base their decision entirely on the brief face to face interview.  I personally think it's ridiculous to put such an emphasis on verbal communication, but these people seem intent on playing "relationship police".

I think that the consulate has a waiting room. I am planning to go at the time of the interview, and make sure the people working there see me. I know I cannot go into the interview room, but If they at least see me I figure there will be less problems. The best evidence of relationship is me being there.

I do agree that they should allow both people to be interviewed, if it is possible for both to make it to the interview.