Cory is coming to meet my parents in early Sep. We are wondering what kind of gift he can present to my parents. The 1st impression is very important and We both want to please my parents.

I am the only child of my family and my parents are very traditional Chinese ppl. I suppose they don't want me to marry to someone outside GZ. I told mom about Cory but mom had doubt on him, saying that foreigners are not very trustworthy. sad.gif Tough task! sad.gif

Yeah, this has always been a tough task for me too... never know what the best thing to get her parents.

I had some nice pictures of Qingqing. Her smile so wonderful. So I decided to give them a nice frame with her beautiful picture inside. It seems many older Chinese like gifts with gold -- maybe can find a frame like that.

Of course, I knew this wasn't enough. I thought they sure would like it because it's a picture of their daughter, but it seemed too little to just give that. So, I bought some crystal (Waterford I think) -- I guess the kind of thing that's nice but that most folks wouldn't normally buy for themselves. And also, something that wouldn't be too easy to buy in China.

I hope the more ideas and examples you get from others, then just the right thing will pop into your mind.

Wish you and Cory the best!

Greg

Tough question. Over the years, gifts have included cosmetics and perfume, after shave lotion, cologne, jewelry, cigarettes, liquor, candy, maps of the US, money, OTC supplements like shark liver oil and vitamin E oils, even a meat cleaver and Rogaine (for Jingwen's balding brother).

Most of the items that I brought or sent were either unavailable where Jingwen's family lives or were darn expensive. Surprisingly, Oil of Olay, which is a cheaper line in the US, is quite expensive in Zhanjiang and was a real hit.

I gave my father-in-law some Jack Daniels- a gift from my dad- which he didn't drink (he doesn't drink)- I also gave him a painting of the Smoky Mountains (where I am from)- he then reciprocated with a painting to my parents. I think some artwork is nice- with clothes you have to do sizes- for your mom I would do perfume which is always exepnsive in China or lipstick- they have cool multi-colored gift packs of lipstick in duty-free which is always good. You know your parents better than he does and so if they do drink a nice bottle of something might be nice- but I can't reme,ber if your parents live in Guangzhou or not- because it is a pain in the a%* to take liquor on small flights within China otherwise. (You can't carry it on anymore and have to box it up- and when we went there was no one there to box it up and we were almost late for our flight).

Cory: Welcome to CFL!

Can't help you with ideas about gifts, but I see that you are planning to go to Sanya. I was there with my sweetie and we enjoyed it thououghly. We stayed in Yalong Bay. There were outdoor restaurants right on the beach and clean sandy beaches. You should also visit Louhuitou. It's a park at the top of a mountain in town with beautiful views of Sanya and the sea.

Have fun and welcome!

American gensing. My mothe-in-law would hug my neck if I brought her American Gensing. Not the pills but the actaul root. They can't get it there and they love it.

American Gensing can be ordered online. Found the grower here in US and got 1lb. for about $40.00. It came in printed plastic bags with farm info phamplet- as opposed to 4 oz. tubs or fancy boxes (and higer prices). Also 2-1/2 weeks ago found bulk ginseng in Chinatown S/F for $20 a #. MOST of the older generation loves American Ginseng

Other gifts that were well received: matching Bath & Body Works hand and body lotions (forget the bath gels and salts) in Non-floral scents, i.e., cucumber, white ginger, green tea. Other thoughts for the Mom: The fore mentioned Oil of Olay, also Clinique, Nivea, or other skin care. Duty free perfumes?

While on the gift subject- Younger generation: Assorted tourist Tee shirts and sweatshirts with maps/scenes of Nevada (some with US flag) (maybe try sports team jerseys as in Yao Ming's team and #) and of course "Red Envolepes". Ten packs of chewing gum.

Another suggestion I saw here (and I know my Lao po's Dad would like) was an aerial photo (no time: maybe sovernior maps) of where you live. As in "This is where your daughter/son will be living later". Richard

American gensing. My mothe-in-law would hug my neck if I brought her American Gensing. Not the pills but the actaul root. They can't get it there and they love it.

Well it doesnt hurt to ask them. I ask my wife to ask them. AMERICAN Ginseng was tops with Mom. Also American Chocolate Big Hershey Bars. Marlboro Cigarettes if they smoke, last but not least some money in a Red Envelope. The orders are in for Cigarettes and Chocolate for when I come back for a Visit.

Well it doesnt hurt to ask them. I ask my wife to ask them. AMERICAN Ginseng was tops with Mom. Also American Chocolate Big Hershey Bars. Marlboro Cigarettes if they smoke, last but not least some money in a Red Envelope. The orders are in for Cigarettes and Chocolate for when I come back for a Visit.

Hershey chocolate was a big hit as was the Lucky Strikes.

Money in the red envelopes, you can never go wrong. Make sure to put $99 or $999 in the envelope. "Nine" in Chinese is good because it sounds like "long and forever."

Hershey chocolate was a big hit as was the Lucky Strikes.

Money in the red envelopes, you can never go wrong. Make sure to put $99 or $999 in the envelope. "Nine" in Chinese is good because it sounds like "long and forever."

I put 3 1 1/2 lb hershey bars in my carry on bag. My Bag was swabbed for Explosives. The big bars must of shown up on the X ray. They didnt ask for Hershey Bars I just though since they wanted chocolate that was the best kind.

Thank you all for your great ideas. Cory and I will discuss the issue and decide what to get. I think my parents are the very traditional type of Chinese couple. They prefer practical things to some fancy stuff.

I'm still worrying how to introduce Cory to my parents. I told my mom about him a few weeks ago, but then mom keeps nagging at me. :( She often brings up examples that Chinese gals married western guys then found that their husband were broke and had a wife plus kids. I know mom is thinking for my own good. I'm her only child of course she wants me to have happy marriage.

The most important thing is to make my parents believe that Cory is true to me and will take good care of me as my parents do. But how? No idea. :)(