How About Chinese Music?

Guest blsqueaky

Guest blsqueaky

Since we have all been there, and many have our SO's back here now, just wondering if anyone else had their favorites when they were in China, watched any of the videos.

One of mine is Zhang Ye. Just about everytime you saw a video or benefit during the SARS, it was her, and there was another one that always had her videos done in the northern province's, set around the rivers or mountains, and one other who name right now escapes me, but she succumed to Cancer this past Xmas, big HK star.

Then if you liked high energy instrumental, the 12 girl band.

Now just curious to see what others liked and what they have to say. I know that there is one member here if he sees this, Kelly Chen.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every morning my wife spends an hour on the back patio doing Tai Chee. She plays old time traditional Chinese music when doing so. I have no idea what the words say but I love to sit and watch her and listen t the music. It is very beautiful and adds an Asian flare to life---for an hour a day at least.

Guest blsqueaky

Trigg, sometimes you really surprise me. Like you, I have no idea what the words are, but I so enjoy listening, especially when is doing her exercises. She seems so happy. It also help to remind me of my trips there.

Trigg, sometimes you really surprise me. Like you, I have no idea what the words are, but I so enjoy listening, especially when is doing her exercises. She seems so happy. It also help to remind me of my trips there.

Surprise you? Why surprise you? Well, anyway your right on. It is beautiful to listen to the music and watch my Chinese darlin engrossed in her tai Chee. It seems to give her an inner peace (she needs this to deal with me all day). The music may be saying "oh Fang Ling, what a dumb husband you have" I really don't know but it is very beautiful. A great way to start every day.

Guest blsqueaky

Surprise you? Why surprise you? Well, anyway your right on. It is beautiful to listen to the music and watch my Chinese darlin engrossed in her tai Chee. It seems to give her an inner peace (she needs this to deal with me all day). The music may be saying "oh Fang Ling, what a dumb husband you have" I really don't know but it is very beautiful. A great way to start every day.

Surprise me, live in TN, forget country music. What was nice about watching it there was many times they had the words in english scrolling across the screen, so you could realy appreciate, so now when I here some of the CD's, and can remember what they where saying.

One of mine is Zhang Ye. Just about everytime you saw a video or benefit during the SARS, it was her, and there was another one that always had her videos done in the northern province's, set around the rivers or mountains

That is so funny, I love Zhang Ye. My fiance is always teasing me about this, my taste in Chinese music puts me in her grandparents' generation! I also like Song Zuying, who sings the same style.

But really, my favorite is chinese instrumental folk music. Over the years I've managed to scour up some pretty great CDs.

I have not heard any pop music that I like the sound of but I love the old traditional music.

I am jealous of you, Turtle, for your collection of folk music, that must be great.

Now this is weird but I really like that super-exotic sound of the singing in Peking Opera.

My Ping does not do Tai Chi even though she learned it as a girl, but she looks really cute when she exercises with the hula hoop. :D

Now this is weird but I really like that super-exotic sound of the singing in Peking Opera.  

Yes, I love that too. That is why I got interested in Zhang Ye and Song Zuying, who sing in that style. My fiance thinks I'm crazy.

The best chinese folk music I've found is a 6-CD set called "folk music cafe". I haven't been able to find it anywhere in the US or online, and it took me 2 years to find 5 of the 6 CDs. They are all instrumental.

Guest blsqueaky

One of mine is Zhang Ye. Just about everytime you saw a video or benefit during the SARS, it was her, and there was another one that always had her videos done in the northern province's, set around the rivers or mountains

That is so funny, I love Zhang Ye. My fiance is always teasing me about this, my taste in Chinese music puts me in her grandparents' generation! I also like Song Zuying, who sings the same style.

But really, my favorite is chinese instrumental folk music. Over the years I've managed to scour up some pretty great CDs.

Turtle, my wife also the same. Everytime that I saw her on TV, I just tuned out my wife. I have to admit, that in a few trips, I also have been able to find many old CD's, dance music done to instrumental and another CD called the "Melody of Gourd Pipe". Enjoy this one also much. Even found a couple of CD, old music done to the new sound.

I love Chinese Music! Here are some of my personal favorites:

1) Han Hong (known for taking old folk songs from China's various ethnic minorities and breathing new life into them) she has a powerful voice and great instrumentals :D

2) Wang Lei---East meets West modern Chinese fusion....Great Stuff!

3) Wang Fei---Hailed as one of China's biggest pop stars..very contoversial verging on a "Madonna - esque" reputation. Definitely has a good sound.

4) Dou Wei--- Wang Fei's ex and super talent in his own right...check him out!

5) Zheng Jun---Chinese Rocker from Xi'an. He is my all time favorite!

6) Xu Wei--- also from Xi'an. Another rocker worthy enough to NOT show up on Billboard top 40

7) Second Hand Rose--- provocative new folk rock band

8) Cui Jian---known as the "father" of Chinese rock (the one who blind-folded his eyes with a red cloth and played to the students in tiananmen during the pre-massacre protests).

The list goes on but I will stop here.