Try to establish credit for your wife

About the dying reason, in theory, she should wait a little a few months before she decides what she wants to do.  She shouldn't make the decision to stay or go just after you are gone.  Then it would be a purely emotional decision.

Unless she has all that credit built up.. that could shorten the grieving time...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good question. In our case it is because I am so old and I want to be sure she can function if I am not around. But it also gives the woman a sense of security and in most cases is something new for them. I also feel better if I am the only one signing for stuff on my CC.

If the wife lives here for a few years and establish ties (work, family, friends), it would be difficult for her to just drop everything here and go back to China. When she came here, she gave up everything back in China (work, place to live). So most of them would probably want to stay in USA if the husband dies or if the relationship goes sour.

Guest blsqueaky
A good question.  In our case it is because I am so old and I want to be sure she can function if I am not around.  But it also gives the woman a sense of security and in most cases is something new for them.  I also feel better if I am the only one signing for stuff on my CC.

Dayum Ski, when did you become old, did I miss something here. I am just trying to build Ling's up a little at a time, but also right now with know SSN, it is hard. I just wonder how her hospital bills are going to fit into this, since they are all iin her name, and as far as the hospital is concerned, they do not care who pays, just as long as it is paid. I know that I am on the forms as the guarantor.

Always think it strange that some on here think thier SO should go back to China as if they don't belong here after they died. It sad to think of your SO in that way, she here just to pass your time until you die then toss back to china? Think they need more respect than that and lot more intelligence to make thier own disision on what to do.

If you willing to keep life insurance and make sure she care for then you left .you give the best gift posible as a parting gift of your love.

Robert

Guest blsqueaky
Always think it strange that some on here think thier SO should go back to China as if they don't belong here after they died.  It sad to think of your SO in that way, she here just to pass your time until you die then toss back to china? Think they need more respect than that and lot more intelligence to make thier own disision on what to do.

If you willing to keep life insurance and make sure she care for then you left .you give the best gift posible as a parting gift of your love.

Robert

Robert, I will speak for some others here, and I hope that they do not get mad, but there some of us that when we are ready to retire, we are moving back to China, and some of already looking for property to retire at, and this way, God forbit something happens, then we know that she will be taken care of and provided for, both in her finances and place to live.

Personally, if something happens before this happens, I have already told my wife to move back home. Yes she has many friends here, but home, it is the family.

Always think it strange that some on here think thier SO should go back to China as if they don't belong here after they died.  It sad to think of your SO in that way, she here just to pass your time until you die then toss back to china? Think they need more respect than that and lot more intelligence to make thier own disision on what to do.

Robert doesn't it occur to you that we may have discussed this with our SO and may be repeating their feelings? Why must this be assumed we are disregarding their feelings.

This issue is also one that can be expected to change as time goes on and people change. The life insurance is a good thing I think and I may get it once we are established.

When I first went in the hospital she said she would be going back to China if I died. She had a good life there and misses her friends and family. But, I lived and she is still here. Just a week ago she told me that she feels so confortable here that she will stay if I die. She wants to finish college here and then maybe go back to China to try and help people who are poor. It is her decision but she is looking forward to getting 10 years of work in so she can qualify for SS and Medicare.

Squeaky, Last year!

Robert, I will speak for some others here, and I hope that they do not get mad, but there some of us that when we are ready to retire, we are moving back to China, and some of already looking for property to retire at, and this way, God forbit something happens, then we know that she will be taken care of and provided for, both in her finances and place to live.

Zixuan started talking to me already about buying a house in China.. for a place to go back to... Part if it seems to be tied to the idea of getting married and buying... um.. sounds like the american dream isn't so american...

why does anyone's wife need their own credit, as opposed to the credit worthiness of a married couple?

My ex never had her own credit card and did not work. But she has a credit history from our joint credit that works just fine for her getting loans now that we're divorced. Not sure I understand the need for her own credit card. In my last marriage I never had "my own" credit card.

stats, can you explain why it is  important?

Credit score(Fair Issac, FICO is based on the individual). Now if you are married and trying to establish credit, things can be done,

Sorry to all, I was in utter disbelief that someone would think it was unimportant for a wife to establish credit in her own name.

Late responding, sorry. Very busy latlely

Need to post my Houston I-485 Hell story soon.

I am also SHOCKED that someone would ask why their wife would need credit established for their wife! Its like saying why should she earn a income when she should just stay in the kitchen and cook all day! I'm not attacking anyone on this but when you are married you still have TWO seperate credit scores. In America you cannot do a single thing without credit (No car, apartment, house, computer, phone, loan, cell, NOTHING) and I for one would die if I didn't give Nicola her own Identity.

It is not "American" to help your wife function independent of you its human. Nicola is a stong women with desires and dreams of her own. Sure she is working with me right now but I see her building her own credit up and opening a business of her own in the future. That would require her own credit. She has mentioned opening a franchise on the side besides our rinky dinky furniture store and I think it would make a great additional income and I would be proud to see her walking into a bank and asking them for the money.

Besides all these reasons stated its also VERY uncomfortable for me to have Nicola ask me for things. I want her to be able to get up and do and have anything in the world she desires by herself. If she wants a cell phone, magazine subscription, credit card from a department store, bank loan (Okay i'm beating a dead horse here) You guys get the idea. I can't wait till the day she gets her credit rating to 750+ and gets $200,000 to start HER own creative business or venture. Its not "Husband may I have" but a independent thinker doing what she wants. Sure we discuss everything together but its HER ability to execute on her own without my permission. Its like saying "Why does my wife need shoes? Won't she be home cleaning all day anyway?" Your SO needs credit as much as she needs her own identity.