O.T. ??? for the Techies

Guest blsqueaky

Guest blsqueaky

Okay all of you techies, here is the problem. For some reason lately, every time that I try and downloada program from a CD, it will not auto-run. Also when I just insert a CD in the D-drive, it will not automatically start. I have to manually start. All of the programs that I have downloaded recently, including DSL, I had to manually start in the run option. Did I by chance turn something off at one time when I was downloading.

Right now I am trying to download a program from Kingsoft that Ling's friend sent her, program for turning English into chinese, but she did not include directions and it will not automatically start up when insert. I have even gone into my computer, install program, insert CD, and comes up with errors.

Any help here would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Guest blsqueaky
Welcome home, S&L.

Did you turn your computer ON ?

Dean

Let me see Dean, If I am lookinig at this, yes computer on. I treid everything that I could think of from this end, even went into Kingsoft'w web site, nothing, and there other is in chinese, and even Ling could not understand what I was trying to do. I did go into system and properties and looked their for my CD, and it shows that I do have the box checked for auto start.

Robert, story to follow soon, and you will not believe some of the things that I am going to tell you.

Feel good to be back.

Ohhh where are the techies here when you need them. :unsure: :(

What operating system are you using? Windows 98 or XP? (I think you have 98', XP doesn't have the auto start box like you described. It's labled differently.)

If the problem is with all your programs downloaded from the internet and CD there's a chance there's a problem with your registry. Not the CD. I can run Chinese SW on my computer too. (Don't mess with it, if you don't know what your doing.) There is also registry repair software you can try from ZDnet.com or Downloads.com

Try running windows update

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

You can look for answers here too.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;136214

http://support.microsoft.com/

If you have the CD that came with your computer, you can choose to format your drive two ways. Clean like the day you bought it (wipes out your personal stuff) or format the drive and keep your personal stuff untouched. You should back-up all your personal files 1st.

Hope that helps. :lol:

Guest blsqueaky

Thanks Doug, well here is what it is doing now. Before when I would insert any CD, whether music or program, auto start would begin. Now any program, will not start unless I go to start then run and enter the command. Music CD's used to autostart, both with CD player and Media player, now just media player. I do not think that I want to re-do everything, especially siince I can not find right now my Windows 98 Disc.

The other day when I got DSL, that disc would not autostart, so I had to manually start. I think that this all started when I added web cam, and when I had to re-install cam, it kept asking me to re-install windows 98. This would be so easy if when I was sent the disc, it would have included the instructions.

for win98.....try this...

1.) click on menu/settings/control panel.

2.) double click on 'system' icon. from there, you will have 'system properties' window.

3.) click on 'device manager' tab at top which will list all your equipment/attachments. You should see 'cdrom' listed.

4.) double clicking on 'cdrom' will show the 'kind' of cd rom that is installed.

5.) click on the 'brand' and then click on 'properties' at the bottom.

6.) should come up with another window...click on the tab 'settings' on the top and make sure your 'auto-insert notification' is on.

Guest blsqueaky

Everyone, thanks for the help. I just now found out that the reason that the autorun would not work on this CD, it is not an original CD, it was a copy, only good for one download.

Now, someone, give me a towel, going to have to smack the wife. She just now tell me, after all the worrying that I have done, and all the help that I have asked.

Everyone, so sorry for the red herring. She now also tells me that she told me, and I can guarantee that if she would have, well.

Again, thanks everyone.

Guest blsqueaky

Forgot to Add, insert wall, take head, move to wall, hard, ouch, hurt, problem still here, wall still there, knot on head.

Now vodka, juice, drink, forget previous :D :D :D

Hi Mark. My sweetie also has the King translator and it comes up with some very interesting translations!! ;) :o :P B) :D :( :D

Even though it they said it is only good for one download, there is no way for the disk to know how many times it has been read: I. E. It is very likely that you can put it on more than one machine with no problem.

Along those lines, I just got a copy of Win XP PRO SP1 in Chinese!! . . .

this is going to be fun to try to install it on a dual boot system with english XP !! And, NO, I do not read or speak chinese!!! hehehehe I gotta be nuts!!!

:D

Guest blsqueaky

For some reason the only cd's that will autoplay are my music. No install disc's will. This is what I find strange. When I installed a web cam, my dsl and some other hardware, had to manually start in the run mode.

Guest blsqueaky

Well a freind sent me a web site to fix the autoplay registry, the values were at 0000009500 so fixed it to read 95 00 00 00, and still will not run. Think later will go to staples, cough up $100 and get the XP download, get rid of win 98. lately puter doing many strange things, like after the wife uses it. The other day I received a security update, went to open, and it was in chinese. If I forget to log her out of Yahoo, go into my yahoo, chinese, and even always now have to log in to CFL, does not remember me.