Watch out for Dental Scaling

My dentist recommended my wife for dental scaling or deep cleaning. So she had it done three times. The first time the dentist did one quadrant (45 minutes). She gave my wife a novocaine shot prior to cleaning. The second time the hygenist did the cleaning after the dentist injected my wife with the novocaine shot (one quadrant work in about 45 minutes). Finally, the last time the hygenist did two quadrants in 45 minutes without the novocaine shots. It was done so quickly because my wife had mostly crowns. I got the dental bill two days ago. It was $800 total ($200 per quadrant). The dental insurance paid only $200. So I am stuck with paying $600. I even called my insurance to find out if they can charge so much for peridontal scaling from a hygenist. I thought scaling can be only be done by dentist. The insurance said that it was justified (even by a hygenist). What a scam. So ask the cost of the procedure before the dentist or hygenist does anything to your mouth. Or you will be sorry like me. My wife also will need a triple-bonded bridge. The dentist wants $3300. I should have gone to dental school. <_<

Deep cleaning should be done by a Periodontist. Then the cost is justified and the work is done well. Go back every 6 moths for a cleaning (about 70 dollars with insurance) It keeps everything healthy so you don't waste the big bucks you paid up front.

I got a full bridge (upper) for 3200.00 and don't regret it one bit. :D

In the last two months, JM needed two deep cleanings (with novacaine), one tooth pulled (rotten), and started the crown process today. She needs four. JM will be finished with the treatment plan in three weeks and she's thrilled. Total cost? $3700. I'm happy her mouth will be "stable" and she now swears by Western dentistry. It helps that her DDS is from Taiwan.

When all is said and done, she'll need to think about an implant vs. a bridge for the lost tooth. Since I've never lost a tooth, I don't know what's best. JM's smile is so perfect (she has lots of caps) so I want the outcome to be the most perfect and comfortable. Any thoughts???

Yeah, the dentist is a big priority when Jun gets here too. Before we met for the first time, she had a tooth pulled. A couple of weeks ago, she went to another dentist to get x-rayed and see about getting a false tooth... turned out the last dentist left roots in!!! :angry:

In the last two months, JM needed two deep cleanings (with novacaine), one tooth pulled (rotten), and started the crown process today.  She needs four.  JM will be finished with the treatment plan in three weeks and she's thrilled.  Total cost?  $3700.  I'm happy her mouth will be "stable" and she now swears by Western dentistry.  It helps that her DDS is from Taiwan.

When all is said and done, she'll need to think about an implant vs. a bridge for the lost tooth.  Since I've never lost a tooth, I don't know what's best.  JM's smile is so perfect (she has lots of caps) so I want the outcome to be the most perfect and comfortable.  Any thoughts???

Dave, a long time ago in a far of land I had two of my front teeth busted out. The army doctors did a bridge and unless som one reminds me I usualy never remember they aren't my real teeth. I eat apples and bite conservatives on a regular basis--never had any problems. I have no idea what the implant would be like but the bridge is permanent and I have never had a problem.

I just went to the dental office and try to knock down the price of last visit. Since the hygenist performed two quadrants cleaning in one hour which is usually done in 2 hours, I told the office person that it should be charged one quadrant because the work was cut short by one hr. She told me the office manager will call me tomorrow. I am trying the Chinese negotiation technique. Hope it will work.

I just went to the dental office and try to knock down the price of last visit.  Since the hygenist performed two quadrants cleaning in one hour which is usually done in 2 hours,  I told the office person that it should be charged one quadrant because the work was cut short by one hr.  She told me the office manager will call me tomorrow.  I am trying the Chinese negotiation technique.  Hope it will work.

I bet it works better before you get the work done. :lol:

Good logic, but It propably won't get you much since they already have your money.

We will find out come monday as Bea is going to have her teeth cleaned.

Her gums have been bleeding and she couldn't have it done during the first 3 months of pregnancy.

She had a cap put in on front eye tooth and the first dentist couldn't match her teeth color. SO after a couple visits she left him in anger and went to another dentist.. they sent her to the factory to have it color matched right there!

The color is still off, although the work seems fine. Come to find out a friend of her's knows of a couple who run a dental hmmm? tooth and bridge making factory here in Shenzhen. All their clients are from America so they work on USA time.. up all night.

Seems they are sent all the materials from the states to make the teeth and just ship the finished product back, they are making a killing!!!

So there is also a dentist she knows of over here who uses these materials as well. So when we scape up the extra money for it I will finally get my bridge work done here with USA materials..:o

Never got it finished in the USA when I had the insurance, not my fault but the damn office managers!!! geeez so PO'd about that one..

While the prices may be cheap over here the materials and look is off because of what they use here. I guess it is best to pay the extra for dental coverage, get it all done and drop it after.

Mark and Bea and baby

Dave, I got a bridge last year on a front tooth. They did a great job and, like Trigg, I eat anything I want. My dentist, Dr. Gilbert Vigil, probably the best in Denver, recommended the bridge over the implant because it would be stronger, but that may just be in my case.

When I had the bridge done, the guy that made it said he could make it for about $200. The dentist charged me and my insurance $3100. He's going to make a killing on ShuPing's teeth.