Request for evidence

As if uncle sam wasn't having enough fun with us already, I just got a notice requesting additional evidence of marriage, most of the documents I readily have on file, no problem. However they have requested the original household/village registry of Manjuans family, which I am not, and apparently should not be listed on, Her family is a little concerned having to send this old and valuable document over here. I called the BCIS to see if a notarized copy will do, no way they said, It was implied, send it or else. Is the BCIS reliable in returning original documents? Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Quote:

p3 returned 11/07/03

secondary namecheck started 11/?/03

countless calls to DOS........

countless e-mails to GZ........

Info requests to FBI........

starting to look like a black hole

Starting to? Wow, I'd say you passed the black hole stage a long time ago... Never heard of an RFE at this stage, and geez, they want the registry book? That seems way overboard. Is it even legal by chinese standards to take that out of the country???? Hopefully some other people here will have some helpful ideas. The degree to which we are all getting screwed by this process never ceases to amaze me-- truly, just unbelievable... This whole experience has made me so angry it's hard to express it. I feel for you, man, you've got it rough...

IIRC USCIS requested something similar for my I130. I sent them a notarized copy of the birth certificate, notarized copy of our marriage certificate, and a letter explaining why it was not reasonable to request the hokou(sp) because I would not be recorded in it. It seems they accepted my explanation, as they sent me the affadavit of support forms a few weeks later.

You Go Moon!!!! heheheh

and next time while you are at it.. tell them to just shut up and send your visa, as it is famously clear they haven't got a clue what they are doing!

I love it! "Son ... I said Son!.. don't be running round that hen house like your're cock of the walk... until you get some experience under your belt. Now get on out of here and fill up them water dishes... these ladies are getting thristy." F.Horn Leghorn

Mark and Bea :o :blink: :huh: :P :D

I wouldn't recommend sending the original.

She should bring the original to the interview. At that point, someone who knows Chinese can look at it and return it to her immediately.

To get it to the USA, you would have to mail the document internationally, then mail it to the BCIS. I believe that it is rare for the BCIS to actually loose documents. However they don't return many documents as part of the K1/K3 applications to the applicants either.

About two years ago, CSC purposely shredded entire applications including original documents that were submitted as part of visa applications. This was someone's hairbrained plan for backlog reduction. I doubt that will happen again, but it is inexcusable.

Call BCIS, and ask them if your wife can bring the registry for inspection to GZ (where they probably have some experts that could actually read it). And, perhaps she could have the interview at the same time.

As if uncle sam wasn't having enough fun with us already, I just got a notice requesting additional evidence of marriage, most of the documents I readily have on file, no problem.  However they have requested the original household/village registry of Manjuans family, which I am not, and apparently should not be listed on, Her family is a little concerned having to send this old and valuable document over here. I called the BCIS to see if a notarized copy will do, no way they said, It was implied, send it or else. Is the BCIS reliable in returning original  documents?  Anyone able to shed some light on this?

That really sucks! Out of curiosity, what other documents did they ask for witht he RFE?

Also, what do you think prompted the second name check and the RFE?

I apologize if you've already explained this elsewhere!

Thanks all, Excellent advise as usual here. I will send a notarized copy of the registry along with an explanation letter to the nazi bureaucrats.

James, they requested our original marriage booklet with appropriate stamps and any other "corroborative, objective and secondary evidence of marriage". As to what triggered the secondary namecheck I still have no Idea. I do know we are specifically hung up at the last stage of it at the FBI. they received the file from DOS last March 4. One of my state senators has made 2 requests for info, with no avail.

For those of you that have already read about the California Shredding, I am sorry for bringing it up again. Yet, for any government agency to allow that to happen is unforgivable. And, then for the same government agency to request original irreplacible documents.... Well, you can decide if the request is reasonable.

Put into any search engine:

INS Sredding Passports or something similar

You will bring up quite a few links.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/833326/posts

http://www.usvisa-law.com/news/shredder.htm

http://www.usavisacounsel.com/article-60.htm

Unfortunately, none of the articles are discussing the final outcome of the case. I believe a few people lost their jobs, but I don't know if there was associated prison time.

----- Clifford ------

That is unbelievable. The complete carelessness and lack of any sence of responsibility in some people is utterly sickening. That was people's lives they were shredding so someone could get a gold star by her name, or maybe the good parking space and could just sit on her ass in the process.

As if uncle sam wasn't having enough fun with us already, I just got a notice requesting additional evidence of marriage, most of the documents I readily have on file, no problem.  However they have requested the original household/village registry of Manjuans family, which I am not, and apparently should not be listed on, Her family is a little concerned having to send this old and valuable document over here. I called the BCIS to see if a notarized copy will do, no way they said, It was implied, send it or else. Is the BCIS reliable in returning original  documents?  Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Yea, I got one of those and the problem that I had was that I sent in the wrong Birth Certificate. I sent in the one from the Hospital that I was born at and they wanted the one from the state with the state seal on it.