Todays Culture Lesson

owenkrout

I must be in a different part of China. While I will agree that traffic here runs somewhat lax concerning the rules of the road, it seems okay to me. But then again, I was in the Phillippines 20 years ago, and that is my comparison. I hardly hear the horn used, and when it is, more than a few times, people seem to complain.

It is true I have learned to become a less considerate pedestrian. At first I was polite, and made sure to look both ways, and adjust my pace for bicycles and cars. I learned when I did that, I was the one causing confusion. Apparently the bicyclelists and vehicle drivers know pedestrians will assume they have the right of way, so when I slow down, they are confused. If I simply assume I have the total right to step out into traffic to cross the street and walk at a consistant pace, apparently all drivers know this is the right way to walk and will adjust accordingly. It took me three days to realize this on my first visit. Now my SO thinks I must be Chinese.

Very few horns. Perhaps there is a provincial decree not to use them here?

Same thing with steet beggars. I am told that there seems to be more pressure on minimizing this here, and I have watched some locals giving tips or admiring the beggars technique. I have actually been applauded for not giving in to a beggar who was becoming persistant on me. (I refused to give him anything because he looked like he was eating well enough to be overweight).

I am in Chengdu. I also notice this behaviour is the same in Zigong.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Having said that, I had my most horrifying road experience in Viet Nam..."

Hummmmmm.............  John, you may want to qualify that -----  based on the time you were there....  Recent?  or as a: "Young Man" ?

Kim,

That's true. I almost forgot. It is my most recent trip to Vietnam in February of this year, that I had some horrifying experiences on the road. The first time I visited Vietnam was 35 years ago, and I was dodging OTHER projectiles. Back then there weren't too many cars or motorbikes on the road.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in NanNing in the summer. I had finally convinced everyone that we could take a taxi instead of the bus. I thought I was given the seat of honor in the front of the Taxi closest to the air conditioning. I soon found out why the driver would not start until I had secured my seatbelt.....WHAT A VIEW....it all works; but I'm not thoroughly convinced why. I did see a couple of STOP lights and there are some marked crosswalks that no one and I mean no one uses. The collision of the Concrete mixing truck and a bus at night was really something...you talk about bent metal!

When I was in Shanghai we took a trip by bus to a small town in the northern part of the country. I've never driven a vehicle of any kind in China but after my experience I've surmised one must have nerves of steel to do so. In one 6 hr bus trip I saw more different types of vehicles than I've ever seen on the road at one time in the states. Cars, trucks, busses, bikes, motorcycles and pedestrians to be expected of course but along with the usual array was the unexpected. Carts being pushed or pulled, sometimes by person or ox. A lot of small three wheeled trucks and cars similar to the toktoks in Thailand but several different sizes, motorcycles with sidecars too. I saw at least 4 accidents. People driving left of center constantly and sometimes any combination of vehicles passing two or thee vehicles thick. Never in my life have I seen someone passing the person passing me at the same time with on coming traffic until China.

I was really impressed at the overall skill level of the drivers. With all the slower traffic, bikes, pedestrians etc, it takes a of skill to navigate and they can get real close to each other sometimes.

eeyore

Talking about crazy traffic, did any one try driving in China?  You do need a strong heart.

I drove. Still don't have my Chinese drivers license, but was it my fault that I took care to remain sober while everyone else who knew how to drive was getting drunk? B)

Traffic patterns in the smaller cities must be seen to be believed.

There are no traffic rules, only traffic suggestions, and why fit 3 cars in 3 lanes when you can fit 5 cars in 3 lanes?

I say old chap aren't you going a bit native there? A place for everything and everything in its place. Form, order, structure, these ideals are valuable in themselves, look at the Parthenon, man, you know what I'm talking about? Do you want people to drive Chinese taxi driver style on your local streets? The rules of the road are the basis of American civilization. Everyone, please keep to the right. We need a restoration of courtesy in driving. Yes, you can do something wrong sometimes, if it does not affect any other vehicle. For example, you can do a three-point turn if you don't cause a problem for the other traffic. I guess in China there are so many people and so much traffic that just the struggle to survive and still get where you are going necessitates a different driving style. But it sure is more pleasant the way driving is supposed to be here where we drive with nice habits just for the sake of safety and good order.

Yeah Robert, I was only kidding (sort of)

Here in Oregon, we foolishly allow people to use studded tires in the winter, so every major road develops deep ruts ..... which then fill with rain ..... causing hydorplaneing ..... thus making the roads more dangerous than the sheet of ice the studs were intended for....

So if everyone drove "Chinese style" (all over the place, all the time!) --- at least we would have uniform pavement wear, and no ruts! :rolleyes: