Question about travel together

Hi All,

Okay, I sent back our P3 and it was received May 19th, so we have quite some waiting to do.

However, being the sort that we are, my fiancee and I are already planning for the future.

I figure by the time Candy has her interview, I'll have a week of vacation. The big question is the logistic of getting a plane trip together back to the States, and if it's possible to buy one in a couple of days.

I know all about air travel in the U.S. and that if you buy a ticket today for a flight tomorrow, 90% of the time you get reamed. However, I would be hesitant to buy a ticket ahead of time, just in case the consulate would want something that would cause a silly delay (like a video tape, additional security check, etc).

How have people done this in the past in terms of flying back together? I know this is quite far down the road (hopefully not too far since GZ has finally started granting interviews again), but it's come up so many times during our talks that I figured I would like to ask people who have done it before.

P.J.

It seems to make little difference how long before the flight in the price with flychina.com I booked my flight to HK and back on a weeks notice. It was the same price as longer notice. Same thing for the one way ticket for Bing. The one way tickets can be a little dicey since they seem to run out fast, I would recommend you plan on staying a week or so in China after interview and book the ticket as soon as you have the visa in hand. To many what ifs to book her ticket before that.

Hey Carl and PJ,

I just booked through flychina.com on May 18 (for June). I believe that the LOWER fares need 7 days advance booking. More importantly is that they GENERALLY send paper tickets. Two day overnight with Memorial Day and the weekend was a Thursday to Tuesday stretch. I have their phone number also. Richard

Although I did not fly to china for the Interview and my wife and stepdaughter came by themselves, we did get cheap tickets on short notice. We waited until after the interview. I tried all the carriers and found cheap tickets with less than a weeks notice were Impossible. My wife went to a travel agent in china and got tickets with a 4 day notice cheaper than I could have done with a months notice. I'll try to get the name of the airlines but I know it went from GZ to HK-then on to SFO.

Trigg

Darrell,

Still haven't decided myself either. I'd like to be back for the interview, that's what has me worried.

Candy is more worried about traveling by herself to the US than she is about the interview. Whereas I'm 10x more worried about the interview.

Carl,

What I'm thinking is I'll figure on being out there a little bit after her interview. That way, we can travel together, and if anything happens to go awry, I can take care of it. After the BS they put you through, I've come to realize anything can happen.

All,

Went on flychina.com site and it seems ... umm ... pricey. Maybe I'm just poor but it was over a grand for the round-trip tickets. Well, I suppose I shouldn't worry too much about this now, and I appreciate everyone's responses.

Thanks,

P.J. :blink: ;)

Darrell,

Still haven't decided myself either.  I'd like to be back for the interview, that's what has me worried. 

Candy is more worried about traveling by herself to the US than she is about the interview.  Whereas I'm 10x more worried about the interview. 

Carl,

What I'm thinking is I'll figure on being out there a little bit after her interview.  That way, we can travel together, and if anything happens to go awry, I can take care of it.  After the BS they put you through, I've come to realize anything can happen.

All,

Went on flychina.com site and it seems ... umm ... pricey.  Maybe I'm just poor but it was over a grand for the round-trip tickets.  Well, I suppose I shouldn't worry too much about this now, and I appreciate everyone's responses. 

Thanks,

P.J.  :D  :(

With the gas prices going up so did airfares I can normally get them for $700 or less on flychina.

Went on flychina.com site and it seems ... umm ... pricey.  Maybe I'm just poor but it was over a grand for the round-trip tickets.

PJ

There is a thread on this "Airline tickets, where to get them?". Prices are at a premium June to August 31 and Dec. 10 to Jan. 10th. Flychina was the cheapest I could find for June- July. $886 out of LAX. Try bootsnall.com and maybe gatewaylax.com (gateway had cheap fares but I DID get 3 days of run around trying to actually book tickets). Richard

Definitely wait to book the trip back until you have the visa in hand- but as long as you give a week or so extra you should be fine- they said at the meeting I went to that you can give more evidence every day M-F from 9-10 so it should be okay. My fiance went to the US for grad school alone and his English was not like it is now and he had some trouble doing it- a Chinese-American older lady ended up helping him get his luggage and etc. I would think it would be very initimidating the first time because US airports are just so much bigger than those in China. I thought about going home after the interview to start helping my Mom with wedding plans- but I decided it would be so much more important to stay here and make the trip together- if a 31 hour flight isn't a bonding experience I don't know what is. I'm also going through customs with him and then jumping over to my line once he's through- just in case I need to straighten anyone out.

4 days on the train in China goining too meet her parents. Who have never seen a white person before and they did not approve of her first relationship with a Chinese man. She is a Medical Doctor and only DaughterAnd they do not even know about me at that time. Talk about tense but also very bonding. We are not in first class. there are beds but very small six to a stall and we brought our own food from the grocery store to save money. We learned alot about each other that trip and we are still geting married. Sorry off topic but I had to say something after I read the previous reply :P :D