Hi All,

I called Dept of State 202-663-1225 (press 1 then 0 - thanks to the members on the forum that provided this number) to find out my status of my case today since GUZ kept on giving me the same crap that they haven't received my case on file yet. When I got a hold of the operator, I was informed that GUZ indeed has the case on file and has asked the US Government for a clearance check (i.e. background check). The operator informed me that it could possibly take 3-9 months for this clearance check. Does anyone know more information regarding this process?

The operator also informed me that once the clearance check is cleared my spouse will get her interview date. Hopefully this is the case. Did anyone else on this board get this information from the Dept. of State?

Thanks,

-Jay

Hi All,

I called Dept of State 202-663-1225 (press 1 then 0 - thanks to the members on the forum that provided this number) to find out my status of my case today since GUZ kept on giving me the same crap that they haven't received my case on file yet.  When I got a hold of the operator, I was informed that GUZ indeed has the case on file and has asked the US Government for a clearance check (i.e. background check).  The operator informed me that it could possibly take 3-9 months for this clearance check.  Does anyone know more information regarding this process?

The operator also informed me that once the clearance check is cleared my spouse will get her interview date.  Hopefully this is the case.  Did anyone else on this board get this information from the Dept. of State?

Thanks,

-Jay

That's a new one on me. I was under the impression that after December of 2003 all security checks were done prior to sending to GZ. Some of the old timers talk about the second security check in GZ--but like I said not after 2003.

I'll bet someone will know. As for the 3-9 months statement. Take it for what it is, a manufactured timeline. I have yet to see them close on a guess. Things usually go faster than they say--maybe the overestimate times to make us feel oh so good when the get done before they said.

Hang in there jay, it is all worth it once they get the visa.

Trigg

Security checks are supposed to be done at NVC. However, if the Consulate has anything that they find suspicious, they can request a second security check.... (like what happened to me).

Often this comes after the P3 / DS-230 is returned to the Consulate (which would be the stage your application is at). Spelling a name slightly different can trigger it, or as in Patrick's case, having 3 women show up at the consulate with similar names.

As Don said, typically they are resolved within a few days or a couple of weeks. However, sometimes they can take longer. Mine sat in Moscow for over 8 months before finishing the secrity check.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Good Luck & Best Wishes

----- Clifford --------

Thanks everyone for the clearification. It seemed weird since the application reached china and then the embassy request a second security check. Not sure what that's going to achieve since they already cleared security check the first time and found nothing. Wonder what makes them think that it's going to be different the second time around. Well on the bright side, USA side has been pretty efficient so far so hopefully it wont take too much longer.

Overall the duration of this check sounds pretty quick based on everyones feedback. Hopefully that holds true. I will start calling Dept. of State once a week now to see if anything changes.

Thanks again,

-Jay

We are also going thru a second name check and as Cliff says our paper work is at the same stage.

Why this is I don't know, but we have finally said no more being nice!

Yesterday I sent off a letter to both of my Senators in Mass, Edward Kennedy and John Kerry. Maybe we will have some luck and see this thing finish.

irony..we are moving into month 16 and you should have your's completed in month 6... must be a typo!??

Mark and Bea