Talking about Watermelons

I was talking to my wife the other day, and we started talking about how much i like watermelon. I ate tons of watermelon while in China. :P

She asked me how much a watermelon cost per KG in America. I estimated and broke it down into what she would understand. But, I have since started thinking about this.... I can see my wife now inspecting every single watermelon in the store to try to find the biggest one, because where I come from, Watermelons are sold as $5 a melon. Oh my, I can picture it now!

Patrick ;)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you buy the watermelons, please send Jingwen the seeds.  She can't seem to get enough of them to eat. :)

OK Frank, we have just finished planting the graden and have several watermelon plants. I'll tell Fang Ling and she will stuff all the fish she is going to give Jingwen with melon seeds.

When you buy the watermelons, please send Jingwen the seeds.  She can't seem to get enough of them to eat. :P

OK Frank, we have just finished planting the graden and have several watermelon plants. I'll tell Fang Ling and she will stuff all the fish she is going to give Jingwen with melon seeds.

Not as weird as it sounds. There's a great recipe for trout where you grind up walnuts with pepper and stuff the fish. I might want to try it with yellow croaker (Jingwen's favorite fish) and melon seeds.

Who knows? I've had weirder things. Which reminds me. During dinner one night Jingwen informed me that I ate dog while in Zhanjiang. :o What? Never. Yes, yes yes. When? At mama's house. :blink: Are you sure? :unsure: Yes. Lost my appetite and drank scotch for dessert.

When you buy the watermelons, please send Jingwen the seeds. 0„2She can't seem to get enough of them to eat. :P

Not as weird as it sounds. There's a great recipe for trout where you grind up walnuts with pepper and stuff the fish. I might want to try it with yellow croaker (Jingwen's favorite fish) and melon seeds.

Who knows? I've had weirder things. Which reminds me. During dinner one night Jingwen informed me that I ate dog while in Zhanjiang. :P What? Never. Yes, yes yes. When? At mama's house. :D Are you sure? :D Yes. Lost my appetite and drank scotch for dessert.

LMFAO Frank. OMG, I don;t exactly know how i would react. That was the first thing i told my wife on my first trip to China. I don't eat Dog, Cat, Donkey, Horses, Eels, Monkeys,or Snakes.

LOL, I hope i got my point across!

Patrick

That was the first thing i told my wife on my first trip to China. I don't eat Dog, Cat, Donkey, Horses, Eels, Monkeys,or Snakes.

They have a lot of weird stuff at the fish market also that I would not want to try. What about those funny little grubs that twirl their head around? Not tempting? That reminds me, I've got some buffalo meat I'm cooking tomorrow.

When you buy the watermelons, please send Jingwen the seeds.  She can't seem to get enough of them to eat. :huh:

Who knows? I've had weirder things. Which reminds me. During dinner one night Jingwen informed me that I ate dog while in Zhanjiang. :lol: What? Never. Yes, yes yes. When? At mama's house. :blink: Are you sure? :blink: Yes. Lost my appetite and drank scotch for dessert.

Scary... luckily I never had to try dog. Jun used to own a pet store and breed dogs, so she thinks eating dog is cruel. That was one thing her ex mother in law used to complain about, how she would never cook dog for her son.. :P I nearly tried it when stationed in Korea though. One of the Korean army guys I worked with was showing a couple of us around Suwon, and had planned on taking us to try dog... luckily we didn't have enough time. :P

I told Jun I would try anything but internal organs of any sort. I regretted making that my only rule after being offered scorpions on a skewer by a vendor on wangfujing. I was tempted to try it... almost did, then this older Japanese man in front of me orders one. The Chinese vendors keep saying "Oishii! Oishii!" ("It's good" in Japanese). The Japanese guy tries it, then says "Oishii janeyo!" Makes a face at his friend, and walks off. I decided to pass :P

Hey Jeff,

beautiful picture of xigua! makes my mouth water... Watermellon is one of those things that we can't grow very well in Portland because of cool summers..

So I'm visiting Fei's sister's family last September in Fu Shan, and Fei's sister takes some pride in her cooking... Frankly, the eel to me is the most familiar dish she serves, (its good!) several other dishes are ... unidentifyable, and Fei is no help .... gabbing away with her sister.... naturally I don't want to press too much about the food... just be polite and eat... Soup was good though! Chicken, with some parts I haven't seen before, but nice broth... until a came to the bottom... and to a large, light brown insect... could it really be a cockroach? hummmm..... have to draw the line somewhere...

Why don't the watermelons in China look like the ones in the US? In China they look like green basketballs, in the US they have the oval shape. Both taste the same. I bought one in China last week off the watermelon cart, dude used a knife to cut it open and show us there wasn't any bugs in it. If we could do that at the grocery stores in the US there would be a huge mess in produce. It's bad enough already people need to handle all the fruit in the bins and shake them around to make sure it's fresh. Imagine if we were allowed to cut them open to check the freshness.

• 2 weeks later...
frank1538 Posted on May 23 2004, 07:06 AM

...Who knows? I've had weirder things. Which reminds me. During dinner one night Jingwen informed me that I ate dog while in Zhanjiang.  What? Never. Yes, yes yes. When? At mama's house.  Are you sure?  Yes. Lost my appetite and drank scotch for dessert.

I'm Hawaiian, and we are taught at a young age never to turn down food when we visit relatives or family friends. One of my grandaunts married a filipino. My filipino granduncle bless his soul, would make every meal we had at his house an adventure. He loved my younger sister because she would try anything without hesitation and take a second serving just about every time, even if she didn't like it. She wanted our relatives to feel good about their food. My little brother was the one that had the most trouble eating the unknown. I've unknowingly eaten dog twice, both times when I was a kid. The first time was at my filipino granduncle's house. It's funny because I was chowing down on what I thought was beef adobo. I was the only one who didn't know it was dog adobo, and I was the only one who finished the first serving, and I even went back for more. Not even my younger sister went back for more. My mom clued me in, but I thought she was playing. When my grandmother confirmed it, I ran outside and tossed my cookies.

I let my fiancee know about that story, she was very upset at me. I told it happened when I was a kid, and that it wasn't on purpose. She loves dogs as pets. She was raised by her grandmother in a mountain village, and she had a dog that was part wolf. The dog took care of her, even followed her to school and waited for outside class until she went home. Some of her family don't think of dogs the way she does, they wanted to take me to eat dog when I visited them but she wouldn't let them.

I told her that I'd eat whatever they'd offer me, just because it's one of our customs. She made me promise never to eat dog, no matter what. I agreed, and she let her family know that they should never offer to take me to one of those restaurants.

Polynesians have some acquired tastes. I love Hawaiian poi, the poi made from taro.