What to declare at customs on the way home?

Ok, stupid question probably, but I'm not sure what we need to declare to Customs when we come trought the POE? For personal items Denise is bringing into the country, is it just nothing to delcare? Same line I normally go through, or do we actually need to delare her things since she has never lived in the US before?

Thanks

nothing to declare other then if you bought some gifts such as liquor/gifts and ONLY if over $400.00 value,cost. I have gone through many times with wine and tea andf never questiond of course the value is under the $400 mark., Her clothes are not counted when declaring. and personal items etc do not count.

Mike

That is good Moon. You are a true poet.

DVS . You do know you will be given a form to fill out on the plane? I would list the things you are bringing in and then add the values so you can juggle the figures a little if you need to. There is a Customs web site with more info.

Go through the Nothing to Declare (Green Lane)

Don't bring fruits, veggies, or open spices.

Anything I bought at the stores in China that was in a sealed bag or container has been allowed.

Also no Peking Ducks, even ones that are vacuum sealed... :P

Jerry

I think we have some people who have shipped significant amounts of stuff. Normally stuff purchased for personal use is not taxed.

Someone else had half a household shipped.

I have purchased items over the internet for personal use and never had to pay customs (including a new engine for my Fiat which cost 2 or 3 times as much to ship than to purchase :P)

If you do pay customs, it is about 5% or so for most items, thus about the same as a sales tax. I don't know if liquor or Cigs are different.....

Somebody said you can by the Cigs very cheaply in China :P :P :P

----- Clifford -----