SSN for 14 year old

Here is the problem. I am considered a 100% disabled vet-service connected via Viet Nam. Therefore my dependents are eligible for free health insurance through the VA. However, to get it they must have a SSN. My new wife can get it I think but my new stepdaughter is only 14 years old. Anyone know how I can get a SSN for her?? If I have to add them to my private Insurance, it will cost $460 a month. VA insurance is free. Any Ideas??

Thanks all,

Trigg

I just got my lady her SSN with in 3 weeks of arrival here. All she needed was here passport with visa and was a done deal they did not even look at the birth cert. However the card is stamped for work authorization only. Who cares at this point she got her number..When we marry it will be esier to change. She is K-1 anyway the form I filled out for her is available at the SS site on the net and it only requires a signiture of guardian or parent for a minor my guess is if your step daughter has a visa/passport and Mom signs should be good to go. My info is all current with-in the past 4 weeks. I would get the form and go to it at the Local SS office. I think she will have in about 2 weeks. The form that is filled out is the one everyone usues US and Alien..

Mike B)

I was told that 1 14 year old alien can't get a ssn unless they get a job offer and a job offer is not legal for a 16 year old in TN. BUT I NEED ONE FOR VA INSURANCE?!?!?!?!? I am sure there must be a way to do this. I feel like i'm caught in catch 22 and going around and around and around and aorund and..... Now i'm dizzy

B)

ok i am not an expert at social security issues but.....

i had a social security number when i was 10 years old, i know the rules are different for people who are in the US under various visas and greencards, but i thought anyone could get a tax ID number, even if the dont plan on working? i dont see what EAD has to do with the Social Security Department? Also you might want to look into your insurance plan and see what there rules are on dependants, is a step child eligable for coverage? B) just a few thoughts

good luck

jm

Wow,

This all sounds strange.

They generally give out SSNs at birth to US Citizens now.

I think I got mine around age 4 (yep, too young to work).

The reason I got mine was that I inherited a little money which got put in a low interest CD.... (if I only had someone help me with stocks at that time).

Don't you need a SSN to deduct dependants on your taxes today?

Or, what is that College Fund IRA? Go to the IRS office and tell them that you are setting one up for your stepson, and you need a SSN.

I would think that any Foreign Nationals that have bank accounts in the USA would need a SSN or TIN (students, foreign businessmen, temporary workers, etc).

If you can't get the SSN, apply for the TIN (W7 form), and see if the VA will accept that.

Is it possible for you to "Legally Adopt" your stepson? How would that change things?

Good Luck,

Clifford

The VA will only accept a SSN. Not a TIN. It is a real mess. I plan on adopting but that will taker a lot of time. The VA rep told me today that they have no problem with her not being a US citizen but they MUST have a SSN. She can get one after she turns 16 but only because she will then be eligible to work. It's a damned mess---you gotta love red tape!!!!!!!!!! Also, the VA gives me stipend for each of my dependents. If the crazy lady next door was living with me the VA would give me money. Using a TIN number I can claim my new stepdaughter as a legal dependent on my taxes. So, she is a legal dependent according to the IRS and the VA, but the VA will not let me insure her or get a dependents stipend without the SSN. The whole thing is a little crazy.

:D

The VA will only accept a SSN. Not a TIN.  It is a real mess. I plan on adopting but that will taker a lot of time. The VA rep told me today that they have no problem with her not being a US citizen but they MUST have a SSN.  She can get one after she turns 16 but only because she will then be eligible to work.  It's a damned mess---you gotta love red tape!!!!!!!!!!  Also, the VA gives me stipend for each of my dependents.  If the crazy lady next door was living with me the VA would give me money. Using a TIN number I can claim my new stepdaughter as a legal dependent on my taxes. So, she is a legal dependent according to the IRS and the VA, but the VA will not let me insure her or get a dependents stipend without the SSN.  The whole thing is a little crazy.

:D

Ask more then one person at VA and also check with a few VA groups the government has a waiver or exception for everything somebody has to give in either the VA or SS office maybe if the VA will write a statement to the SS office they will have an exception there has to be a way.

I was told that 1 14 year old alien can't get a ssn unless they get a job offer and a job offer is not legal for a 16 year old in TN. BUT I NEED ONE FOR VA INSURANCE?!?!?!?!? I am sure there must be a way to do this. I feel like i'm caught in catch 22 and going around and around and around and aorund and..... Now i'm dizzy

I wonder what the exceptions to the rule are?

Acting and modeling? (they often start young)

Mowing Lawns, Lemonaide Stands, and Washing Cars????

Can't you explain to the Social Security Administration that you are teaching your stepdaughter how to mow the lawn, and you feel that it is vital to include lessons on social responsibilty with the lawn mowing!!!! :D :D

----- Clifford ------

• 2 months later...