Can You Get Into China?

Explainer | Can I travel to mainland China? A guide to entry restrictions, documents, and vaccination and testing requirements

• China has a zero-tolerance approach to the coronavirus and closed its borders to most international travel
  • Travellers to the country must meet a series of requirements

This story has been made freely available to our readers. Please consider supporting SCMP’s journalism by 

Is everyone allowed to enter China? 

No, not at all. 

Very few foreigners are still able to return at the moment.

Holiday travel to China is generally not allowed but people with special courtesy visas, such as government officials and diplomats travelling for personal reasons, can enter the country. Those from the same group travelling for official purposes on diplomatic and service visas are also allowed in.

China has refused to let foreign students return to the country to resume their studies, and has stopped granting visas to international students except to those from South Korea following a visa agreement last year.

Returning to China did NOT get any easier, and has likely become even harder because of China's ‘zero tolerance’ stand on Delta variant. However, it is still possible to enter the country for certain reasons. Mainland Chinese citizens can return home from overseas as long as they test negative for Covid-19 and obtain the health code required to verify this. Meanwhile, foreigners holding valid work, personal and family reunion residence permits are allowed to enter, as are those holding approved visa types such as air crew.

Foreigners can also apply for visas for humanitarian and emergency reasons, such as visiting critically ill relatives or attending the funeral of an immediate family member. However, some visas require travellers to have been vaccinated with a Chinese vaccine.

Flights from certain countries, such as Britain, Belgium and the Philippines, have at various times also been banned when cases surged in those places. Travellers are advised to check the Chinese embassy website in their country for the latest information.

Recently various Chinese Embassies even announced pre-boarding quarantine and other measurements, including regular checks during personal health declaration, nucleic acid testing reports and other relevant files, and even require CT scan. Check out the overview below.

What documents do I need? 

In addition to a valid visa or residence permit, you need to obtain a health code from a Chinese embassy or consulate before departure. To apply for the health code, travellers must submit a negative Covid-19 nucleic acid test result and antibody test online. Both have to be taken within 48 hours of the flight at a lab approved by the embassy or consulate.

Travellers will also have to submit vaccination records, if any, and may also be asked to provide other supporting documents such as flight itineraries and proof of residence.

They are also advised to take direct flights when available because Chinese embassies will decline to issue health codes to transit passengers if direct flights are available.

For travellers with no direct flight to China, only one transit is allowed in general, and health codes are required from the embassy or consulate at the point of departure, and at the transit location.

Travellers who were previously infected with Covid-19 also have to have a lung scan, undergo two nucleic acid tests 24 hours apart and do 14 days of self-quarantine before they can apply for a health code.

Those coming from some high-risk countries, such as Britain, may also have to take an additional nucleic acid test.

Are vaccinations required? 

Vaccinations are not a must, but those that have been fully vaccinated with a Chinese vaccine may be able to enter China for a wider range for personal matters such as to visit close family members, or to take care of elderly relatives.

Those who have received other vaccines will not be able to enter China for these expanded reasons. However, they may have to take a different antibody test to obtain the health code to enter China.

Most Chinese vaccines are inactivated vaccines, unlike other jabs such as the Moderna and BioNTech shots. Vaccinations may result in a positive result in the antibody test, and travellers who have been jabbed with non-inactivated vaccines may have to take a different antibody test to show that the result is due to the vaccine and not an active Covid-19 infection – a requirement not necessary for those who had inactivated vaccines.

What happens when I arrive in China?

Unless you are travelling on a “fast lane” arrangement that allows some essential travellers to skip quarantine (read: the top elite), you will generally have to undergo 14 to 21 days of quarantine.

Pre-boarding Quarantine: More Embassies Join List

Quarantine requirements vary among China’s provinces and cities. Beijing has some of the strictest, requiring travellers to undergo 14 days of quarantine at a designated location and seven days at home, followed by another seven days of health monitoring involving daily temperature and symptom reports.

Some travellers from Hong Kong to Shenzhen, on the other hand, are allowed to spend half of their two-week isolation period at home.

How can I get into China? 

Inbound travel options for China have been cut drastically.

Air travel remains the main way of entering the country but international flights to the country are limited. In March last year, China restricted both foreign and Chinese carriers to just one weekly international passenger flight per airline.

The civil aviation authority can suspend flights if there are a certain number of positive Covid-19 cases among a carrier’s passengers, although those rules have been eased this year. If between five and 10 passengers on a flight test positive for the coronavirus, the airline can choose to either suspend their operations for two weeks or continue operating at a maximum of 40 per cent capacity. Previously, they had to suspend operations for one week.

China strengthened its control of its land border with Myanmar amid fears over the spread of the Delta variant, and completely closed its land border with Russia last year to contain a spike in cases entering the country from its northern neighbour.

Source: SCMP

Also check previous posts in the COVID-19 in China thread which may prove helpful

Quarantine policies for inbound travelers to China
 http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/50020-covid-19-in-china/?do=findComment&comment=647939

Airports Offering on-site PCR and IgM antibody testing facilities
http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/50020-covid-19-in-china/?do=findComment&comment=648001

. . . and 2 or three posts following.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Sad 1
  • Randy W featured and pinned this topic

from Weixin ID:  GuideinChinaExpat

Can foreigners apply for PU invitation letter to enter China now

GICexpat Yesterday

According to the current latest policy, foreign seniors who join major companies or take part in major projects can apply for a PU invitation to work or project development in China, and their spouses and children under the age of 18 can apply for a PU invitation to enter China with the main applicant, but only for those executives or project members of large companies.

At present, it is only limited to the spouse of the principal applicant and the family members under the age of 18.

However, not all foreigners can handle the Pu invitation. The staff in some regions will pay attention to the necessity and urgency of foreigners coming to China.

GICExpat PU letter.jpg

List of materials:

(materials can refer to the requirements for handling PU invitation letters in various places)

Applicant, Application Letter, Schedule, Relevant project agreement documents or documents proving labor relations, Information Table, Vaccination certificate, Family members Proof of Relationship and vaccination certificate.

Notice on Airline Boarding Requirements for Certificates of Negative Nucleic Acid and Anti-Body Blood Tests Results

Passengers bound for China via direct flights must take nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests at a testing institution in the U.S. within 48 hours before boarding. Upon receiving the certificates of negative results of both tests, they need to submit them to the Chinese Embassy/Consulates (based on the consular district of the testing place) and apply for a green health code with the "HS" mark or a certified health declaration form.

Passengers bound for China via connecting flights must take nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests in the U.S. within 48 hours before boarding, and then take both tests a second time in their last transit country within 48 hours before boarding the plane to China. Passengers must apply from the Chinese Embassies/Consulates in BOTH countries (the U.S. and the last transit country) for green health codes with the "HS" mark or certified health declaration forms with their certificates of negative results of both tests.

Yes, you can apply online, and submit documents via email.

See

2020/11/23

As from 0:00 on December 1, 2020 Pacific Time, the Chinese Embassy/Consulates General will issue QR code with "HDC" mark for foreign passengers who are to fly from the U.S. to China. Foreign passengers can apply for the QR code with "HDC" mark by logging on the website of https://hrhk.cs.mfa.gov.cn/H5/ via computer or smart phone. The passengers can fill in their information, declare their health status and upload the test certificates, passports, itinerary and other documents as required online, which will then be examined and verified by the Chinese Embassy/Consulates in the U.S. Upon approval, they will receive the QR code with "HDC" mark. Foreign passengers must present the electronic or printed code, and follow the procedures for inspection by relevant airlines during boarding. For test requirements please read the Embassy notice on 29th October 2020 carefully.

Chinese passengers (including passengers from Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan) should still apply for the green health code with "HS" mark via the WeChat Health Code app.

Transitional arrangement: As from 0:00 on December 1, 2020 Pacific Time, the Chinese Embassy/Consulates in the U.S. will no longer issue the stamped Health Declaration Form through emails. However, foreign passengers who already have the valid Health Declaration Form issued by the Embassy/Consulates do not need to apply for the QR code with "HDC" mark once again. They can still use the Health Declaration Form for boarding. The emails or online upload methods previously published by Chinese Embassy/Consulates on Oct.29 will stop issuing the HDF since Dec.1.

• 2 weeks later...

October 2021: All Flights In & Out of China

from HeyExpat 5 days ago on Weixin

• Check out the full list of international flights to and from China below!

Do let us know in the comment section if you know of any updates.

• Please note that this does not mean that returning to China got any easier. This list of flights stands separate from the policy in returning to China. Very few foreigners are still able to return at the moment. For more information about this topic, please click here.

• The CAAC website is the latest and quickest way to gain access to information about international flight information in & out of China. Click here to check it out.

The list of the international passengers flights was updated on October 7th, 2021.

The information provided is based on our online research. As things change constantly, please double check the details.

Someone posted this on Facebook

I wanted to shed some lights on obtaining a Chinese Q2 visa by Humanitarian channel. 

I am Canadian living in Paris, France, with family (Chinese citizens) living in China. I sent an email to the Visa Application Centre in Paris with the following documents: 

My grandma's medical certificate proofing that she is critically ill and needed care
Proof of my relationship with my grandma
My grandma's ID photocopy
Invitation letter from my mom and her ID photocopy
My passport photocopy and proof of my residency in France

The Chinese Visa Application centre then submitted the request with all the documents to the Chinese Embassy in France for approval. I have just received the approval email (took 4 days in total) today, and I was given Wednesday & Thursday this week to submit all relevant documents to the visa application centre. 

Hope this will help people who wish to go to China via the Humanitarian channel.

from Going to China on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/going2china/posts/4322502517878086/

Recently, Hongkou District Court of Shanghai sentenced two defendants to 8 months in prison, 1-year probation, and a fine of 10,000 yuan, and confiscated the illegal proceeds returned to them for the crime of selling immigration documents.
It is reported that the two people were arrested because they helped foreigners provide application materials to help them obtain work permits and residence-type work permits in China, but the foreigners usually did not have any work contact with their companies.

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/uGbDQkz_5GO9VzGYJAfKPQ

from IjobinChina我在中国工作 on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Chinavisaworkpermit/permalink/1710632749140173/

illegal visas.jpg

Foreigners get Chinese visas this way, 2 people sentenced&fined

on Weixin

It's unclear if this represents anything more than potential hope.

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/633PIsly-y50k3Pg7xYdpQ

Family PU Letter Applications Now Accepted

from AustCham China AustCham中国澳大利亚商会 on Weixin 3 days ago

For months now one of our community’s primary concerns has been the ability to reunite with family here in China. AustCham China, in conjunction with other Chambers of Commerce, have been highlighting this issue to the relevant authorities in Beijing and elsewhere. We are informed that District Government Offices are now accepting applications for family PU letters.

In light of this encouraging news, we are happy to assist our members with the requirements of the application process and with the contacts in their district for the application.

Please note, we do not have a clear understanding as to the likely outcome of  applications at this time. However, the fact that authorities are accepting applications is a positive sign.

For more information contact: davy.zhang@austcham.org

from Going2China on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/going2china/posts/4360871750707829/

• 2 weeks later...

China’s quarantine: how long, what does it cost and what is the food like?

• Rules on the length of quarantine, and where you must spend it, differ from city to city, but here is what to expect
  • Arrivals in China also need to know which documents to prepare and how to get an all-important health code 

from the SCMP
85f0ef56-4209-11ec-b9bb-5bc84a21bb41_ima
Opening a quarantine hotel room door will trigger an alarm. Photo: AP

1) How long is quarantine in China?

2) Can I choose my quarantine hotel in China?

3) How do I get to the quarantine hotel?

4) What is the food like in Chinese quarantine? Can I order in food or deliveries?

5) How many times do I need to be tested?

6) What happens if I test positive while in quarantine?

7) Can people spend quarantine at home in China?

😎 Which documents do I need to enter China?

9) How do I get a health code to travel to China?

10) How does China’s health code work and is it the same for all destinations?

It's unclear what the source of this information is, but it seems accurate and comprehensive. Read and use it with a grain of whatever.

On weixin 

What possible ways you have now to come China?
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/RnRinPKP2yK90o0SdxcIPg

from Going2China on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/going2china/posts/4407624139365923/

What possible ways you have now to come China?

Elisa ForeignWire Today

As of today, there are three ways to enter China

• Holding valid Chinese residence permits for work, personal affairs, and family reunion.   

• Holding a diplomatic, service, courtesy or C visa. 

• Obtain a new China visa, it is only for work, or emergency humanitarian needs such as visiting a close family member with serious disease, or obtain a new visa upon official invitation. 

Q & A on foreigners entering China

Q: If I am holding a valid tourist L visa, M business visa, Q or X visa, can i go to China now?
A: No. If your visa was issued before March 28, 2020, you can not enter China with this visa, even it is for 10 years or still valid till today. You shall apply for a new visa instead. It is not about vaccinated or not. 

Q: My family members (spouse or child) are in China now and they are Chinese citizens, can I enter China for reunion now? 
A: Most probably not. If you do not have a family permanent resident permit, you won't be granted a reunion resident permit easily from overseas. Different countries or regions have different guidelines now. You can consult with your local Chinese embassy to see if it is possible to get a new reunion family visa to enter. 

Q: My spouse now is working in China with a valid employment permit and resident permit, can i apply my family visa to China to join with my spouse? 
A: No. In general, it is not yet open for foreign principle application to apply their spouses to enter China. However, there are some certain cities nowadays are considering and opening up for such application under strict requirement on the documentations. 

Q: Do I need a PU / TE / Verification invitation letter for my new visa application?
A: In general, you need an invitation letter for applying a new Chinese visa. However, it is different from countries to contries. There are some exceptional conditions, if you meet with certain condition, you might not be asked for an invitation letter: 

a. A few Chinese embassies / consulates overseas are granting new visas to foreigners if they have been inoculated with Chinese vaccines. You can approach to the Chinese embassies or consulates to check if it applicable to your country. 

b. If you used to have an employment permit and resident permit and it expired during the pademic, you can check with the Chinese embassy / consulate in your country if they will consider this status and give you a new visa. There are a few countries considering and giving visas upon the previous resident permits that you used to have. 

c. If your employer or your Chinese supplier is a big enterprise that making great contribution to the country, meeting certain criteria, the company has qualification to invite you to China. 

Q: If I am entering China with a M business visa, can I change it to work resident permit during my stay in China? Do I need to exit first and then enter again?
A: No, it is not required, you can divert your current visa to work resident permit without leaving the country. 

Q: I had already took two jabs of Chinese vaccine, do I need to take full quarantine or shorter term of quarantine than those do not take vaccine yet?
A: It is the same, you still need to take full quarantine no matter you are inoculated or not. 

Q: Currently I am in China with 1 year work resident permit and I want to leave and visit my family during Christmas, and then return back China, am I qualify to return back as normal? 
A: Yes according to current policy. 

Q:The air tickets coming to China are extremely expensive, finally I catch a ticket and transit via two other countries. Will that be ok?
A: Not guarantee. Catching a ticket does not mean you will be allowed to board. Please consult with your local Chinese embassy / consulate before paying a ticket, especially for those do not have direct flights.  Getting the green code is initially important. And please check carefully the relative policy in the tansit countries to make sure if it require a visa ornot and make sure if there is a transit testing support facilities in the airport. 

• 2 weeks later...

This post is public, but embedding is not allowed, so I'll just quote the first paragraph. Click through to see the rest.  -

Getting Back to China Update 1 (11/27/2021)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/going2china/posts/4443375062457497/

Hello All, 
I'm in the process of acquiring a Z Visa and returning to China. I think it will be of interest to people in this group that I share my experience and answer any questions as the process is ongoing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Border restrictions remain extremely tight, as Chinese authorities pursue a “zero-COVID” strategy. The strict policies have left large numbers of expats effectively stranded outside China. As many as 100,000 foreigners may be waiting for permission to return to Shanghai alone, local media outlet SmartShanghai estimates.

from the Sixth Tone on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/sixthtone/posts/3138733646445474

China’s Foreign Firms Are Running Out of a Key Resource: Foreigners
Nearly two years of strict border controls have led to a growing shortage of foreign talent in China. Some worry it could become permanent.

Local hires lack the international experience the firm needs, he says, but recruiting foreign professionals has become impossible. The company has tried everything — attending job fairs, using a headhunting agency, posting ads “everywhere” — but they haven’t found a single qualified candidate.

. . .

“I’m already desperate because of this,” the 46-year-old tells Sixth Tone. “It cannot kill the business, but it harms your efficiency, your profitability.”

The company is one of thousands of businesses in China struggling to deal with the effects of an unusual supply crunch: a growing lack of foreign talent.

China’s foreign population has plunged during the pandemic. As the coronavirus began spreading across the country in early 2020, hundreds of thousands of overseas nationals fled to what they assumed were safer parts of the world. Many have never returned.

. . .

But localization is often a far from ideal solution — and could be difficult to reverse in the future. Multinationals worry the trend may lead to a growing disconnect between their China businesses and operations overseas.

• Sad 1
  • 5 months later...

I'm seeing LOTS of posts like this on Facebook, very rarely with a link to any actual information.

While there may be some truth behind them, take it with a grain of whatever and ALWAYS check with your own consulate for current information.

Going to China.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

pic 4.jpg

• Randy W changed the title to Can You Get Into China?