US citizen travel to China with wife who is a Chinese national.

Quick question. Is it possible now? Planning on retirement there soon or part time. Any knowledge of this or thoughts would be appreciated. Just an average human. Not rich. We're both artists looking for a quiet life. Wife has her home there. Thanks!!

You need a valid visa and a Chinese covid vaccination, although they are beginning to accept other vaccinations as well.

They are beginning to open up again and the situation should improve as we get closer to the 2022 olympics.

There are plenty of cases of spouses trapped outside the country by the Covid restrictions and unable to return for now.

There are also plenty of us who never left and are still in China.

Check here for up to date information from the Los Angeles China Consulate or check the website of your own consulate.

HOME > Visa & Consular Services > Covid-19 Updates

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

This just (Published: Mar 31, 2021 07:13 PM) in from the Global Times

Foreigners, overseas Chinese share personal experiences of entering China amid COVID-19, refute Western media’s ‘inhumane’ claims
Foreigners reveal truths behind their quarantine experiences amid global pandemic

Who can enter China?

China, similar to most other countries around the world, has placed anti-epidemic restrictions on people entering the country taking the severe global pandemic situation into account.

It nonetheless allows those with real need who meet China's COVID-19 prevention control requirements to come during the pandemic, instead of simply keeping the door closed, observers said. 

At present, according to the latest policies, the foreigners who can enter China include those holding diplomatic, official, courtesy, and C visas; those holding permanent residence permits in China; those holding valid residence permits for work, personal affairs, and reunions in China; and those holding visas issued amid the pandemic after March 28, 2020.

For the foreigners with residence permits for work, personal affairs, and reunion purposes that have expired since March 28, 2020, have been able to apply for new visas to enter China since September 28, 2020, said an official notice released on September 23, 2020.

There were also people from certain countries being halted from entry into China for some time due to their then serious domestic epidemic situations. On December 24, 2020, China announced the suspension of flights to and from the UK due to a new coronavirus variant there, after several countries had announced similar measures such as closing borders and banning flights from the UK.

In general, China has been providing more conveniences to visitors from visa applications to after-entry quarantines as the global pandemic situation gradually improves. The latest policies it announced in mid-March no longer ask for invitation letters or negative COVID-19 results from some foreigners and their relatives who have been inoculated with Chinese-made COVID-19 vaccines in their visa applications. 

The policies also expand the scope of visa review and issuance for people coming to China due to emergency humanitarian needs, such as family reunions, attending funerals, or visiting critically ill relatives.

China is also working on offering entry conveniences to those being inoculated with non-Chinese COVID-19 vaccines, said the Chinese Foreign Ministry on March 23. "China has been in close communication with other countries to discuss a reciprocal arrangement for vaccination," said spokesperson Hua Chunying that day. "As long as a measure helps to prevent and control the pandemic and facilitates interpersonal exchanges, we are open to it."

• 1 year later...

Checking in to see if there may have been any updates. My wife and I have been wanting to go visit her family back I'm China, but she understandably would prefer not to make the trip alone. We can manage to bear quarantine if that's the only way. I just don't even know if I can legally travel there as all I have is a tourist visa at the moment.

8 hours ago, homerjay1011 said:

Checking in to see if there may have been any updates. My wife and I have been wanting to go visit her family back I'm China, but she understandably would prefer not to make the trip alone. We can manage to bear quarantine if that's the only way. I just don't even know if I can legally travel there as all I have is a tourist visa at the moment.

Visas issued before March 2020 are not honored. No new visas are currently being issued, except to those who had residence permits.

Not a good time to try.

3 hours ago, homerjay1011 said:

Gosh that's really unfortunate.

Any hope for that to change in the future?

YES, definitely! Borders are expected to open by the end of 2020 2021 2022 2023 . . .

China's "zero-COCID" policy, which they are still doubling down on, make it impossible to predict when any change might occur.

Pay attention, though, to anything which may come out of, during or after, the party congress later this year which is expected to elect Xi to a third term.

13 hours ago, homerjay1011 said:

It certainly feels impossible to predict!  But I'll follow the news and hope something changes later this year!

Thanks Randy!

Watch for potential changes coming out around the upcoming Party Congress. You never know!