Are Chinese and Asians really welcomed in the USA

danb

Here is a link to an article from MSN that I read the other day:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/spit-on-yelled-at-attacked-chinese-americans-fear-for-their-safety/ar-BB11AEg5

The young lady in the photo was spat on by a middle age man because she was..what? and because Why?

The article does not get the booze 's the clown side of the story but makes it clear that they ( the writer of the article) thought it was from unwarranted prejudices because the lady was Chinese. Very sad.

"She could feel him staring at her. And then, suddenly, she felt it: his saliva hitting her face and her favorite sweater.

In shock, Ms. Zhu, who is 26 and moved to the United States from China five years ago, hurried the rest of the way to the gym. She found a corner where no one could see her, and she cried quietly.

“That person didn’t look strange or angry or anything, you know?” she said of her tormentor. “He just looked like a normal person.” "

"A writer for The New Yorker, Jiayang Fan, said she was taking out her trash last week when a man walking by began cursing at her for being Chinese.

“I’ve never felt like this in my 27 yrs in this country,” she wrote on Twitter on Tuesday. “I’ve never felt afraid to leave my home to take out the trash bc of my face.”"

"In interviews over the past week, nearly two dozen Asian-Americans across the country said they were afraid — to go grocery shopping, to travel alone on subways or buses, to let their children go outside. Many described being yelled at in public — a sudden spasm of hate that is reminiscent of the kind faced by American Muslims and other Arabs and South Asians after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001."

How can this be in America?

Well at least:

"At Engage Armament in Rockville, Md., most gun buyers in the first two weeks of March have been Chinese-American or Chinese, according to the owner, Andy Raymond.

More than a fifth of Rockville’s residents are of Asian ethnicity, and Mr. Raymond said buyers from Korean and Vietnamese backgrounds were not unusual. But Mr. Raymond said he was stunned by the flow of Chinese customers — in particular green-card holders from mainland China — that began earlier this month, a group that rarely patronized his shop before."

Not entire sure what I feel about this bit. I want to smile but on the other hand I realize it is not a good solution. Neither, Am I not really sure what is the solution. Danb

Unfortunately this country still has a problem with "otherness" that was, until recently, kept mostly under wraps. For many reasons it has become less onerous for certain people to express their racist and anti immigrant views. This has been the case since the country was founded and becomes quite noticeable during certain periods of our history. It has ranged from people being against any immigrants, regardless of their origin, to times when they targeted specific groups of immigrants. I believe that the number of these types of people are becoming less as time passes. That may be just my hope, but over the 67 years I have been living, it seems that way. Unfortunately, it will never dwindle to zero, but hopefully they will become a completely marginalized group that can't do any harm.

"As a nation, we began by declaring that 'all men are created equal."' "We now practically read it 'all men are created equal except Negroes.' When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read 'all men are created equal except Negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.'" - Abraham Lincoln in 1855, at a time when the Know-Nothings were increasing their political power in the Northeastern U.S. Their major appeal was limiting who might be able to immigrate, and their major political attacks were against the Irish among others..

• 9 months later...

No problems in our neighborhood thank God.   Everyone treats the wife very well.   The only time she had a problem was when a black lady jumped the line right in front of the wife and had a lot of unfriendly things to say to the wife.   The wife never said a word but when she told me about it I went on the look for this lady but never found her.   The wife needs to grow a pair I think.