school for fiance's child

Hello all,

Wow!! our K-1 visa interview is rapidly approaching (April 15th). Thanks to CFL I think we are completely and properly prepared. Mei and her daughter have already taken the medical and received their paperwork etc.

Now for me I just have to wait for the April 15th call.... "we are approved"

Combine that with the fact that I am moving to California 12 days before their arrival and starting a new job 3 days after their arrival.

Mei has a 17 year old daughter. When they arrive I would like to arrange for Mei's daughter to begin summer school for English. I have selected a great area to live. The high school is ranked 10 out of 10 and has a 40% Chinese student enrollment. I am hoping her transition will be smooth.

My question is:

Considering the K-1 visa what needs to be done in order for the daughter to qualify for school enrollment? Must we marry? Adopt? Put Mei's name on the lease? etc.? Any ideas?

She will be qualified the day she gets to the US. She will qualify for classes and help as ESL (English as a Second Language). My wifes daughter is 14 and we had no problem enrolling her. You won't have any troubler and don't need to do anything but take her to school and sign her up. Oh, and bring her school records from china.

Trigg

She will be qualified the day she gets to the US. She will qualify for classes and help as ESL (English as a Second Language). My wifes daughter is 14 and we had no problem enrolling her. You won't have any troubler and don't need to do anything but take her to school and sign her up. Oh, and bring her school records from china.

Trigg

Trigg,

Thanks for the heads up but are you saying that for her ID you used her visa and passport?

Louis

Louis,

I just wanted to add to what Trigg said about ESL.  They are on the internet, and one of the top ESL training schools is in California.  The rates are very good.  ESL costs less for a semester than I was paying for a week of Mandarin tutoring here in the states.

Dean,

Does ESL = English Second Language?

Assuming it does any contact info at hand?

By the way how are you guys doing? Hope all is well !!

Louis

P.S. Ahh just found it but seems a little expensive, is this what you were talking about? >>

Link' target='_blank'>http://www.unex.uci.edu/esl/stu_serv.asp[u...u_serv.asp]Link to ESL

Louis,

Yes ESL means English as a second language. Most public schools offer this. You should not need to do anything but sign her up for school. There are classes offered for a fee but as I said, most public schools offer ESL classes at nopcharge for a school age child. During my working life I had contracted my services to several public schools and have dealt with this before. It is generally no problem at all.

Trigg