Chinese/English electronic translators

Looking for a good pocket translator in the $100 to $200 range.

Appreciate any good advice on best models, features, etc.

thanks, :lol:

What I have is a View sonic Pocket PC PDA and some software CE Suite I think there is also a talking translator software it allows you to speak and it interprets, Etasco I think I bought a refub PDA for $150 software is cheap.

I bought a Lingo pocket translater but do not recommend it. It has about 10 languages which limits the number of words in any language. It is neat that it has phrases and will speak the works in either language. Also has time and money and metric conversions.

Looking for a good pocket translator in the $100 to $200 range.

Appreciate any good advice on best models, features, etc.

thanks,   :D

you may want to consider just taking the plunge and learning the language. If I can get by you can to. Pimsleur makes a decent course.

I failed to mention...it's not for me. It's for my wife and stepdaughter. They both use it extensively too the point that the one they have is worn out. I meant to mention that it needs to be a Chinese brand model translator.

Nope...not a translator for me........:D

Thanks for the replies.

I use the Ectaco software with my Palm m515. My fiancee's translator is better, as it is not in formal Beijing Mandarin - slightly less formal and more understandable.

I know the translators are available in China and they cost about the same as we pay here in the US. They sell them on the auctions - Yahoo and eBay. I found several Chinese brands that Chinese-Americans import here.

Ectaco sells translators on their website and if you keep asking for a quote (maybe 3-4 times) you can get a good price.

Youyue uses an old Handspring Visor I had laying around with the Oxford English&Chinese dictionary loaded on it. Allows C-E and E-C translations. Also allows Chinese character entry method. Available at: www.pleco.com

I also have the same loaded on my Treo phone. We've been using this for a long time and it's been great. If you already have a Palm device it's a cheap option at $49.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and thanks Stats for the "aim high" website. I saw this site the other day and showed it to my wife but she is too modest. She doesn't want me to spend any money on her. She says that that is not being "frugal", (an English word she learned)...lol.

So, just now, I ordered the B1100 translator. Not as pricey as the GD988 but it will do. She doesn't know that I ordered it but she will know when the UPS driver comes knocking on the door in a few days, and besides, "frugal" just isn't in my vocabulary!........ B)

Thanks again for all the great replies..... :P