College degree transfer?

Fanny asked a question of me the other day, that I'm hoping someone here can give me some direction so I can get her an answer.

She's an elementary school teacher with a degree from Guanghxi Teacher College. She's wondering how much of her Chinese education will transfer, should she decide to become a teacher here also.

Does anyone know, or know where I can research this more?

Thanks,

Perry

There is a good chance her degree will not transfer - the main issue that she will have to obtain a teaching certificate in your state. You can contact the State Board of Education or someone in the licensing office at the local school board. You can probably transfer her degree to some college near you and they will tell you what to do to turn her degree into a US degree. ALso, her level of English will make a difference.

This procedure also applies when you move your teaching certificate from one state to another. Some atates are easier than others.

Please contact me and I can probably get you some addresses to contact to see how your particular situation can/will play out. I would be happy to help you get an answer.

WHere do/will you live?

Hope this helps.

Jeff :D

Perry,

Welcome, and good luck with everything.

I assume you will find some organizations will recognize Fanny's previous education, and others may not.

I am not sure about teachers. I do know that it is very difficult for Doctors to immigrate to the USA and continue working as an MD.

Fanny could likely apply for a Master's of Education program and her undergraduate education would be recognized. After completing some education in the USA, many doors would likely open.

She might also consider pursuing a job teaching Chinese at a college level if it interests her (might also require or benefit from a Masters or Ph.D., especially if she wishes to get promoted at a University).

----- Clifford ------

Each state has different requirements for certification of teachers. In terms of her degree, it will probably transfer without too much trouble if she is applying for a masters program.

My wife Li was an English teacher in China. Here in Tennessee, if she wants to teach, she can either take the required undergraduate courses required for certification or go into a graduate program and get certified that way.

Some private schools do not require certification. There are a lot of options. Do as much research as possible about the requirements in your area.