China's Obsession With Hot Water

from the Sixth Tone

The History Behind China’s Obsession With Hot Water

Parched throats across the country gasp for refreshment served at searing temperatures — but where does this tradition come from?

http://image5.sixthtone.com/image/5/5/56.jpg

From left to right, Mao Zedong, American journalist Earl Leaf, Marshal Zhu De, and an interpreter in Yan’an, Shaanxi province, 1930s. From the WeChat account of the PLA Daily

In 1850, the Taiping Rebellion broke out in eastern China. By 1862, an estimated 1.5 million refugees had crowded into Shanghai. In May that year, cholera broke out in the city. At its height, the disease was responsible for 3,000 deaths per day. Not long afterward, the epidemic spread north, eventually reaching Beijing.
The south remained untouched, however. Folk knowledge dictated that this was because southerners drank more hot water than northerners. While at the time, traditional Chinese medicine was as widely accepted in northern China as it was in the south, people residing in the country’s lower latitudes were comparatively wealthier and had long practiced the habit of taking their water hot.
Research eventually showed that the epidemic was actually spread northward by mail boats traveling between Shanghai and Beijing. However, people at the time had no way of knowing this, and exaggerated tales of the powers of hot water soon spread across the country by word of mouth. No longer was hot water just a way to improve one’s health; it was now a matter of life and death.
. . .
Today, however, Chinese young people are increasingly enamored with filtered or sparkling water, energy drinks, and imported alcohol, most of which are best served cold. Western-influenced food and fitness regimes have also encouraged youngsters to eschew hot water in favor of cold. And — most tragically of all — the sight of a middle-aged former rock star dutifully carrying a thermos is now mocked as a symbol of a midlife crisis.

• Like 2

I am amazed at the worshiping of hot water but am very thankful for it. At every hotel room, for foreigners or not,a big glass cistern of hot water was always there. I love tea as well but that water was so hot no self respecting bug would live there too long. Hot water saved my ass.

• Like 2

One of my early trips to China I was in Nanning during summertime. My Chinese was limited to "Ni Hao" and I desperately wanted some water. I was in town shopping with my lady's mother and her mother's friend, but couldn't convey to them how parched I was. I saw a McDonalds-like restuarant and went in alone and pointed at a sink faucet and motioned for a drink. I was served a small glass of steaming hot water. :( Still, I appreciated receiving that small glass of water and was proud of myself having been able to communicate what I wanted.

Our Chinese friends today tell me that hot water disolves fat in our blood that we Americans eat (I've never been fed so much fat since being married to a Chinese wife). And, most Chinese where we live expect that I want to be served ice water. What I want is room temperature water.

Yes, I know that traditions, folklore and customs are hard to break.

There may be several other reasons why hot water is used, Didn't the British have their hot tea in the afternoon in hot arid climate all over the British Empire? Also just think about how much 1 yuan in all the hotels in China they save. It is much cheaper than giving away bottled potable water. My Lao Po swears by drinking a lot of hot water for a cold. It does seem to help. Danb

After a couple of years, my wife loves seltzer water, RT or cold, and appreciates cold milk washing down oreo's and other things. She still thinks hot water is called for in various settings.

P.S. Hot water can never dissolve fat; it can soften it, if it is solid at RT, still it's a nice thought. Hopefully, our blood stays at body temp's anyway

• Like 1

After a couple of years, my wife loves seltzer water, RT or cold, and appreciates cold milk washing down oreo's and other things. She still thinks hot water is called for in various settings.

P.S. Hot water can never dissolve fat; it can soften it, if it is solid at RT, still it's a nice thought. Hopefully, our blood stays at body temp's anyway

Exactly - it's hard to believe that ANYTHING would remain above (or below) 98.6°F for very long once swallowed.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 2 years later...

from Goldthread on Facebook

Why do Chinese people like hot water?

At home, restaurants, and in the office, you’ll often see Chinese people ordering hot water.
In this episode of “Why Chinese,” we’re diving into the history of China’s preference for hot water, from public health campaigns that encouraged it for hygienic reasons to explanations in traditional Chinese medicine.
This is “Why Chinese,” a series where we’re debunking common stereotypes about Chinese people one Google search at a time.

https://www.facebook.com/342615829579497/posts/859987084509033/

https://www.facebook.com/342615829579497/posts/859987084509033/

on YouTube

My wife usually drinks hot water. I pour her a cup whenever I boil water to make my tea. Surprisingly, for a couple of weeks now, she fills a cup with ice and water and sits it near the bed at night, to drink during the night. I haven't asked why.

• Like 1
  • Randy W changed the title to China's Obsession With Hot Water