SUpper quick passport renewal question.

Hello All, hope everyone is well. As the topic states I have a question about passport renewal. I sent it in about 2 weeks ago and already have my New passport in my posession. My question is I was expecting them to update the old passport with the new Exp date listed in it but they sent a whole new passport. This normal? Will I ever need to show dates of travel that were listed in the old passport? DO I request the old one be returned also? Let me know what you know...:)

Robert

Hello All, hope everyone is well. As the topic states I have a question about passport renewal. I sent it in about 2 weeks ago and already have my New passport in my posession. My question is I was expecting them to update the old passport with the new Exp date listed in it but they sent a whole new passport. This normal? Will I ever need to show dates of travel that were listed in the old passport? DO I request the old one be returned also? Let me know what you know... :)

Robert

Yes - your new passport should be completely blank with a new 10 year expiration date.

I would think they'd return the old one by default - you may need it (especially if you have a still-valid visa), and in any case, should keep it handy.

In 2015, I tried to exit China through Hong Kong with a new, completely empty passport - no visas, entry, or exit stamps. The poor (Immigrations Officer) lady at the counter had no idea what to do, and passed me off to someone else(I DID have my old passport - no problem).

This is normal, they will typically cut the corner off the old one as a way if indicating it is no longer valid.

Simply carry both passports if needing to use the still valid visa in the old passport. If traveling to a place where the visa is not needed like Canada, or Mexico, you can leave the old passport at home.

gallery_3366_4_62174.jpeg

I seem to recall my old passport returned seperately when I last renewed my passport.

This is normal, they will typically cut the corner off the old one as a way if indicating it is no longer valid.

Simply carry both passports if needing to use the still valid visa in the old passport. If traveling to a place where the visa is not needed like Canada, or Mexico, you can leave the old passport at home.

I seem to recall my old passport returned seperately when I last renewed my passport.

Last year when I renewed my passport the two passport ( old and new) were returned to me separated. Initially it did cause me some concern because my 10 year Chinese visa was in my old passport) Somewhere in the paperwork or the website it does state that they are returned separately. Danb

• Like 1