Now no advantage for U.S. Citizen in bringing adult child

With the April 2017 Visa bulletin, there is no longer an advantage in being a U.S. Citizen over having a Green Card in terms of the time it takes to bring over your adult child.

• The line for a U.S. Green Card holder bringing over an adult child (F2b) have been moving rapidly over the last 6 months.
  • The line for a U.S. Citizen bringing over an adult child (F1) have been moving very slowly over the past 6 months - it's either not moving at all or moving only a week or two at a time.
  • The F1 and F2b lines are now the same.

At the current pace, the green card predictor site http://www.mygcvisa.com/calculator/ has the U.S Green Card holder F2b line predicted as overtaking the F1 U.S. Citizen line by next month.

I'm not sure how much stock to put in these things as they use past numbers to estimate the lines, but wanted to make anyone starting out aware of this.

Wife became a U.S. Citizen at my urging since I told her that it would help bring her daughter over sooner. Now that lying dumb%#$ American that she married, not only didn't deliver on his promise, but as a U.S. Citizen she must now actually PAY MONEY for a visa to return to China as well. I am in the dog house.

I know we can change lines but we have been within a month of her adult daughter's F1 priority date for four month now, so I don't think it is worth the trouble to try to change lines at this late date.

Wife changes lines at the grocery store all the time - usually backfires - as the person ahead of us tries to pay with a 4th party Peruvian money order - the manager is called over and the line stops for 20 minutes.

:)

Edited by True Blue (see edit history)

It's all about left over numbers from one class allotted to other classes, the timelines for the various classes can varry based on this.

I thought I'd share some info which might be helpful to others (please let me know if this is not typical or if I may have misunderstood something said to me)

I called the National Visa Center today. They said once the priority date is passed then that country's processing center (GUZ for Cina) would BEGIN the process of scheduling interviews (which might not occur for another 1 to 2 months).

So anyone in line should add another 2 months to the processing date before they (assuming they are not rejected or blue slipped for more information) can even begin to think of traveling to the USA.

So if your priority date hits on June Visa bulletin which comes out around mid May then you might have GUZ BEGIN scheduling interviews and then be notified in mid June for your Guangzhou interview in July.

Assuming no rejection or blue slip, and assuming you can't get or don't want to pay same day/week flight prices, you may be able to buy a still very expensive ticket for the following week or two (using that time to pack and get ready to move) then likely travel to USA in August.

For those who are familiar with F1 and F2b visa processing times in China, Does this sound about right or was the National Visa Center rep overally pessimistic or overly optimistic in timeline?

Also I know there is a medical exam involved? Will the instructions come along with the visa interview appointment so it can be finished before the interview occurs?.

One more question - once the interview has been approved, (other than doing something stupid or illegal (like raising a recuses and fighting during the flight or trying to smuggle something) what type of thing could cause a visa applicant to be rejected at the point of entry?

As always thanks for your help!

Check out the USTravelDocs.com web site for what you will need to know. Interview dates may be available sooner than you think - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/47967-cgi-stanley-step-by-step/

and http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45643-links-for-consulate-process-information/for (hopefully still current) medical exam information.

GUZ - Medical Exam Instructions in English and Chinese (includes list of designated hospitals)

One more question - once the interview has been approved, (other than doing something stupid or illegal (like raising a recuses and fighting during the flight or trying to smuggle something) what type of thing could cause a visa applicant to be rejected at the point of entry?

Any bars to entry from having committed immigrations fraud.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have relatives with F type (family F1, F2a or F2b) processing through GUANGZHOU recently?

Can you tell me how long between PRIORITY DATE and final playoff interview (assuming no issues) be passed and relative able to travel to USA?

With no movement on US Citizen line and still needing 8 days to reach priority date it is going to be very tight for unmarried (but very pregnant) adult stepdaughter to be able to come to USA. With the pregnancy, she can last safely travel (latest date) on the 1st week of August.

I am trying to figure out if she will be able to come to USA to have the baby or if she will have to remain in China, have the baby, and wait another year until my new grandchild will be able to fly.

There are several possible scenarios

(1) the F1 line moves 8 days and her F1 priority date comes up on the June Visa bulletin (published around May 12th)

assuming that she hustles, gets her med exam ASAP and goes to GUZ (also assuming no issues at GUZ) can still she make it through GUZ in time to travel to USA by 1st week of August?

(2) same situation but assume no movement in the F1 line until July Visa bulletin (published around June 12th)... Again assuming she hustles, does everything ASAP and no issues at GUZ, is it likely she can make it through GUZ in time to travel to USA by 1st week of August?

(3) Final scenario, assume F1 line doesn't move at all or reverts back or there is not enough time to get to USA by 1st week of August....

Can she come to USA by 1st week of August on tourist visa to have the baby and adjust status while in USA? She still has option to request a switch back to F2b unmarried adult child of green card holder under the child protection act (takes 3 months to process all the paperwork per my research on other visa sites) and the 2nd table on the visa bulletin shows she passed the F1 priority date for staying in USA to adjust status had she already been here in USA on a student or work visa. In other words, if she was already in USA on a student or work visa (she is not) her F1 family adjustment priority date has passed so she would not have to go back to GUZ to adjust but could do so by remaining in the USA.

A lawyer I spoke to who has visa experience thinks (3) is too risky. But because tourist visa can cover medical tourism, he thinks we might have a shot with proper documentation from some U.S. Doctors as being U.S. Based Heath care that is medically necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

June visa bulletin is out. Now 3 months with zero movement in China Mainland born F1 visa line (unmarried adult children of US citizen) and only 1 month movement during past 7 months. We need just 8 days of movement but alas, All the visa prediction sites predict that we won't make it in July visa bulletin either. Our back is against the wall.

Meanwhile the F2B visa (unmarried adult children of US permanent resident) line has sped by and already past my stepdaughters priority date for 2 months now and is expected to jump ahead another 5 weeks next month per the average of som visa prediction sites.

We have written an opt out request for her to move back to the F2B visa line and emailed it to NVC per the instructions I received in 2 separate calls with the NVC helpline.

I saw notes in another visa website forum (mainly Indian visa seekers) who dealt with this same issue several years ago stating that (1) the request needs to be in writing to both the NVC and by the top dept of homeland security official in the local country visa office (I presume this means Guangzhou or Beijing for China) and (2) it needs to be approved there by letter and that signed letter must accompany the visa applicant to the interview. I asked the NVC help line people about this and they told me it is likely a waste of time because until the priority date hits the visa file isn't even sent to the local office. The Indian visa forum basically said don't believe anything you hear from NVC and many who posted there had spent thousands of dollars in legal fees trying to speed things up with no good result.

Does anyone here have experience opting out of the F1 conversion that occurs when the petitioner naturalizes as a citizen?

If so, did you do anything more than an email from the beneficiary requesting the opt out ? If so what else ?

Did you get anything approving the switch in writing? If so how long did it take.?

• 2 months later...