Why "wife or fiancee"

Like the "Why husband" thread, we should also start a thread about questions about China.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Why "Wife" question #1

Q Why are the DVDs so cheap in China?

A Because they are privated copies.

Why "Wife" question #2

Q Why people carry umbellas on sunny days?

A Because Chinese people don't like to be tan.

Sun may increase chance of certain STD

By Daniel Q. Haney, AP Medical Editor, 3/31/2004

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The long sunny days of summer may increase the risk of catching a common sexually transmitted infection. And it's not just because people have more sex when the weather is nice.

Researchers using data from Holland found that detection of papilloma virus infection during routine cancer screening peaks during August. Their theory: Sunlight suppresses women's immune system defenses.

Experts have long suspected that sunlight has powerful -- and perhaps conflicting -- effects on the body's tendency to develop a variety of diseases, including cancer. The best example is the risk of too much sun triggering skin cancer.

However, many suspect sunshine can have less obvious influences, and can even affect susceptibility to a variety of everyday viruses like papilloma. These viruses are spread through sexual contact, and they are the most common cause of cervical cancer, a disease that kills about 4,000 U.S. women annually. Although the virus can cause genital warts, most infected people have no outward symptoms.

"The sun is a kind of drug, a drug that influences whether a papilloma infection takes hold or not," said Dr. William Hrushesky, an authority on how disease patterns fluctuate over time.

Hrushesky, who is based at the WJB Dorn Veterans Administration Medical Center in Columbia, S.C., presented his findings Tuesday at a meeting in Orlando of the American Association for Cancer Research.

He looked at the results of more than 900,000 Pap tests done in southern Holland between 1983 and 1998. The test does not detect papilloma virus directly. But it reveals abnormal cells that are typically caused by the infection.

Hrushesky found that the sunnier the year and the sunnier the month, the higher the rate of human papilloma virus.

August is consistently the sunniest month in southern Holland, and the screening tests picked up twice as much evidence of papilloma virus infection then as in the winter. The virus fell off sharply in September.

The reason for the August spike? "Sexual intercourse did not appear to explain most of the variance," he said.

No one can say exactly when people are having the most sex, but one strong hint is when the most babies are conceived. Records show that conception is most likely to occur in Holland in March, although there is only about a 10 percent variation over the year.

Instead, Hrushesky theorizes that even though women are exposed to papilloma at roughly the same level year round, the extra sunlight weakens their defenses against it in the summer.

He noted that sun can dampen the body's production of antibodies and the activation of protective T cells, the main branches of the natural defenses against infection. Other research has suggested a connection between sunlight and susceptibility to herpes and adenovirus, among other things.

Dr. Bruce Armstrong of the University of Sydney in Australia said the impact can occur far from the patches of skin where sunlight hits, and an effect on infection of the cervix seems plausible.

"The relationship between sunlight and cancer is complex," he said.

Many studies have noted a link between cancer incidence and how far north people live. In general, these reports show that several kinds of cancer, including colon, prostate and breast, are less frequent in southern areas, suggesting that sunlight may protect against them.

Armstrong's own study, also presented Tuesday, found that the more sunlight people receive, the less likely they are to get non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. He looked at 1,398 people and found that those who got the most sun had a one-third lower risk than those who got the least.

My wife and I met in Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates, where the sun is especially strong and it was summertime. She was very careful about sun exposure over there! It was so cute the way she would use her hand to shade her face even if she could avoid just the shortest moment of actual sunlight seeing her when there was the unavoidable risk of a few strong photons striking that delicate skin while crossing the street going to the next shop.

Sun may increase chance of certain STD

By Daniel Q. Haney, AP Medical Editor, 3/31/2004

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The long sunny days of summer may increase the risk of catching a common sexually transmitted infection. And it's not just because people have more sex when the weather is nice.

Researchers using data from Holland found that detection of papilloma virus infection during routine cancer screening peaks during August. Their theory: Sunlight suppresses women's immune system defenses.

Whew,

Thank God, I am immune to developing cervical cancer :D

Unfortunately such a study is fraught with conflicting hypotheses and too many variables to control for.

For example,

As with any STD, HPV has a "carrier", as well as a person who catches the disease. Higher activity in the carrier would be reflected by a higher infection rate.

August????

Much of Europe heads out to vacation that month. Activities change. Blood flow changes, and perhaps for a few, sexual partners change too :D

So, what could account for the peak of incidence in the summer?

- 1 - New or "unique" Partners.

- 2 - Warts (human papaloma virus) are deeply tied into the host's blood supply, and are likely affected by changes in blood flow. If there is a general increase in blood flow due to more outdoor activities, it is quite possible that the virus would also increase activity (in the male (or female) carriers). Even more surface blood flow due to higher temperatures would likely affect the activity of the virus.

- 3 - Perhaps longer days would also affect blood flow, or otherwise increase the number of virus particles being exposed to

- 4 - For women, the temperature of the "host regions" would likely stay about the same year around. That may not be true for male carriers of the disease.

- 5 - Many diseases have diurnal or seasonal changes that affect the chance of propagation. "Colds" are much more commonly transmitted in the winter, fall, or spring, than in the summer. Mosquitoes carrying Malaria tend to hit much heavier at certain times of day than other times of day.

---- CK -----

Guest blsqueaky
Why Wife Question #3

Q.  Why do you leave the leftovers in a bowl on the counter?  Wouldn't the refrigerator be better?

A.  Cooked food does not belong in the refrigerator. :lol:

Talk about different cultures just in China. I know that at my wifes home, leftovers would go to the fridge, and one time we went to the store, bought some cooked chicken and other items, but them in the fridge when back to the hotel, and later that night had a western style picnic, cold chicken, salad, etc, and she enjoyed very much.

Why Wife #5

Q: Why, wife, there are so many girls holding hands walking on the street in China, are they all les?

A: 98% of them are straight, girls holding hands means they share the happiness of friendship, while boys(esp. those construction workers from countryside) holding hands to show their brotherhood. :lol:

Why wife #6:

Q: Why, wife, do you have so many kind of lotions and creams?

A: One for my oily skin on my fore head. One for my dry skin on the face. One for hiding my acne. One for cleaning my face prior to applying makeup. One for reducing lines and wrinkles under my eyes. One for protecting my skin from the sun. One for protecting my makeup. One for night application and one for day application. One for removing makeup. And lastly, one for making me beautiful.

My wife has been here for a week now and one issue I did not anticipate is that she finds the prospect of eating any kind of uncooked vegetable slightly disgusting. She believes that they must be cooked to remove pesticides. I guess I won't be eating many salads.

Louis

I have the same problem.. she ordered a salad one day and was scandalized because it wasn't cooked. Salad bars are out of the question... If I want raw vegetables, I either "volunteer" to cook, then purposely undercook them ( B) ), or I make raw vegetables for myself.. whenever I go to china, standards (for building, food, safety, etc) are definately one thing I miss..