From GZ to LAX POE

Well group, we are home and happy.

I thought I would just fill in the final details of the post interview process and the trip home.

I previously posted the interview details, but have just learned of a new question asked. My wife was questioned quite thouroughly during the interview on her sons custody status.

I had prepared her for this in our interview prep sessions, and she was able to go to chapter and verse in her divorce document and show where the court had given her full custody, as the father had done a runner, so was classed as abandonement. The VO had no problems with it.

We left GZ at 1:15 pm for LAX via Incheon, Korea.

I had bought her r/t tickets, originating in GZ. Even if she does'nt use the return the r/t was still cheaper.

We prepared to pass through exit control at the airport, and being the good husband, I filled in both of our exit forms in English. The Chinese passed me right on through. Then it was my wifes turn. They looked at her passport with nothing in it but a brand new US visa, then looked at the exit paper, and told her to go back and fill it out in Chinese.

She did so, then they questioned her quite thouroughly as to why she was going to the US, then asked her specific questions about me. It seemed to be to verify that she actually knew me and knew something about me.

They passed her through, and we were then shown to the business lounge. When it was time to board, the girl in the lounge walked us to the front of the line, and we boarded straight away, although flying economy.

We had a window seat, but the last view of China was short lived as it was a smoggy overcast day, and the airport quickly receded into the muck.

We had not seen much of the sun for the last week, and as I handed Lannie her sunglasses, she looked at me as if I were a mindless moron. A few minutes later, we topped the overcast over a brilliant sheet of sunny, white clouds. And that was the last we saw of China.

Three hours later, we arrived in Incheon, Korea. What an amazing contrast in airports. I played my united gold card again, and were soon in the Asiana lounge. All kinds of food were offered, but my wife at first desisted, thinking we would have to pay for it. When she found out it was there for the taking, I soon had to remind her that the airline would soon be feeding us 2 or 3 more times.

5 hours into a 10 hr flight to LAX, she looked at me and said, "telling me about 30 hour trips to China, and doing it are two different things."

After 15 cattle class trips to China, all I could say was I would do fifteen more to get you here.

What a great feeling after all of those trips, shoving greasy businessmens heads off your shoulder, kids banging the back of your seat, to finally have her head on my shoulder. Flying so much, I had invested in Bose Acoustic Noise cancelling headsets. My wife is somewhat prone to motion sickness.

When she put the headset on, and the noise faded to a quiet whisper, those things stayed on till we got to LAX.

We walked for several miles through a maze of corridors after arriving at the Bradley terminal at LAX.

I asked a lady directing traffic which line we should go to for immigration, and she told me take lane 11 or 12. I did'nt even ask if I could go with my wife, I just did. Five minutes later, we were standing in front of an immigration officer. He was very kind and relaxed. He opened the infamous sealed brown envelope, and started checking the documents.

My only mistake was that when I had filled out her I-94 document on the airplane, I had put her passport number where it asked for her visa number. He said, don't even worry about it, I'll fix it for you.

His next statement after looking at the medical docs was that my wife was very healthy. I then noticed that her sons documents (K4) were also there. We had always told the consulate and anyone else that he would follow at a later date. I questioned the officer about the fact that the sons paperwork was sitting there before him with the boy not arriving for several months. He said, OK, I'll take care of it. He made a notation on the back of the I-94 which stated that the son, a K4, would follow in August, then stapled the I-94 in my wifes passport.

He then took a left and a right fingerprint of my wife, and her picture, then welcomed her to the States. We were just leaving when he stopped us .

**%^^!! What could be wrong? He then said, I noticed on your paper work that you were married almost a year ago. Happy anniversary in 4 days.

POE took not more than 15 min, including standing in line.

Lannie was asked no questions.

We picked up Lannies luggage, then stood in line for an hour just to transfer the luggage to United. What is up with Bradley? That place is so retarded.

We walked to term 7 for our united flight.

As we sat waiting for the flight, Lannie was sitting in absolute amazement.

What's up, I asked? There are so many fat people, she said. And they don't have enough cloth to cover their bodies! And look, I can see that guy's butt! Trying not to laugh, I asked if she wanted a McDonalds.

OK. So I buy the same stuff we bought at McD's in GZ. She asks how much I payed, and figures out it's more than double what we payed for the same thing in China. Tells me to take it back. Tell her I cant.

4.5 hours later, we land in DC. Walk outside to 30 deg weather - another first for her. She opens suitcase and puts on more cloths while we waite for the parking lot bus.

The next day is sunny and bright, but still cold. She is totally amazed that it can be sunny and cold at the same time. Asks me if this is normal, or some anomaly of nature.

Driving down the road, I am informed that the steering wheel is for holding with both hands, not her knee. I demonstrate that I can drive with knee, and don't need any hands. Wife not impressed. I pretend to pay attention to driving.

We stop at Sheets for some quick food. Wife tries to throw wrapper out the window. I explain $200 fine for littering. Wife happily throws garbage in back seat.

Finally arrive home. Very tired. Go to bed.

Dean

What a great story that is Dean. My fiancee came in 5 days ago. Although I did not fly with her, I heard her say many of the same things. I am glad you mentioned the "fat people" story. I thought maybe she had a fat fetish. Seems as though she enjoys looking at the chubby folks too much. I had the same experience driving. She nagged for an hour about the 2 handed driving thing before I gave up and yeilded to the superior mind of the chinese driver. Good luck to you and yours. It only gets better!

Hey Trigg, I've been keeping up with you as best I could over the last week.

Congratulations. Life is good. I'm lovin it.

It is not fat phobia or anything, just such a change. I would experience the same feelings myself after comming back from 4 year tours on the Sahara. Our lifestyle and eating habits were very slim, and when you work in famine relief, when you get to the states, our wealth and girthline as a nation jump out at you.

My wife is constantly asking " Why, husband?"

In the past few days, I've been able to show her the amount we eat, coupled with driving everywhere and walking nowhere.

She just saw the hip - hugger jeans, coupled with the "thong" underwear raising yet another "Why, husband?"

So much culture shock, so little time.

Dean

So much culture shock, so little time.

Thanks Dean for sharing your tales with us, it's really great to hear these things! I'm also sure my darling will be thourougly amused by all the obsese people when she comes here. I'm always amazed too, even when I'm just overseas for a couple of weeks. I keep trying to prepare her for it. When I was with her in China last time, I tried to explain to her that sometimes she will see people with hips as wide as my fully opened arms. She laughed and laughed because she thought I was exaggerating just to be funny, but she never did fully believe me that some people here become that size. She'll be in for an eye-opening experience when she comes here.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to share your tales about her coming home with you - good stuff.

Congratulations to you, and enjoy the happiness!!!

Good story Dean. I think you probably soothed everyones worrys about coming thru immigration.

Every time I returned from Asia I would be shocked about how slobby Americans look. Could be one reason why I like Asia. But it is not just here. I was in Beijing with a friend and we were talking about what her friends thought about me. She said they could not believe I was so thin as all the Americans they had seen were fat. We were at the Summer Palace and I looked around and every white face in sight was fat. It is a national problem for sure.

All this is funny stuff. Before my wife got here I read some of these things and laughed but I never really believed them. Now I know they may have been understatements. Maybe we need to start a "Why husband" or "Husband what that" or "Why do" page. How about just a "Husband" page. My darlin' never says my name but several times a day the yelp "Husband!!" fills the house. I thought she just couldn't say my name. This just gets better---'life aint boring no mo!'

:D I am happy for eveyone that gets their wife here. After reading all the good things about the trips I am in tears hoping and praying my wife wil be here soon.. I am a Supervisor where I work at and I have a 15 minute Tailgate meeting every morning. Yesterday I was talking about things at the meeting and thoughts of my wife popped into my head.. The tears swelled in my eyes and I had to leave, I could not talk any more... But I am happy for everyone though, as I tell my Wife ( this will be forever ) Jiejun I Love You :wub: :wub: