Birding.

Yesterday afternoon 1 of the 2 baby brother Downey Woodpeckers finally showed up, now 3 days post storm. You can see the spot on his head has not yet turned red, it's still a brownish red, but slowly turning. The females do not have that head color so it's very easy to tell them apart. When they first hatched and were learning to fly, they would go from the tree trunk or limbs and fly to the different clothes hanging on the clothesline and cling to them and rest. That lasted about 2 days and at first I thought maybe insects had landed on the clothes and they were eating them. But no, they were just learning to fly and taking an easy break.

gallery_2472_324_145192.jpg

We have desert woodpeckers but they look more like Beep Beep in the Wiley Coyote cartoon. The cactus wren on the other hand, is a character. Looks just like and eastern woodpecker without the red coloring and maybe a little bigger. Wish I had pictures like you do, Mike.

Maybe when the weather gets better I'll take a few birding trips.......

gallery_2472_324_316333.jpg

gallery_2472_324_19299.jpg

Yesterday morning was really cool, dry, and crystal clear outside. The rising sun at this time of day when it's still low enough to light up under the trees from below really makes the colors pop out. These photos are both of the same Male House Finches that were singing up a storm while they ate. The more red the bird, the more they seem to really enjoy the white safflower seeds.

gallery_2472_324_84139.jpg

Later in the morning yesterday this Mourning Dove came in to rest and sun just over my head. What's neat is that if you never knew where a birds ear was you can clearly see it's hole on the side of his neck, that's where it is on both sides. I got him to turn his head and open up by cooing to him a Dove call.

gallery_2472_324_121838.jpg

This morning was cool and very wet outside. More Cicadas are coming up and the Sparrows are getting in on the feeding frenzy. This guy kept hopping down into the garden picking off the ones that had just shed their shells overnight and were waiting for their wings and body to harden up in the sun later this morning. They quickly grab them and haul them up on the wood ledge. Then quickly rip off the wings (laying on the right side of him) and then stab the back of the soft head. Then when not moving anymore they fly off with it to eat somewhere else.

gallery_2472_324_19126.jpg

Can't believe a flock of maybe a dozen Double-crested Cormorants flew right over here. They only feed on fish by diving after them underwater, so they should not be over my house. The news says the floods are the worst in 100 years, so my guess is they are looking for some non flooded lakes to go feed in.

gallery_2472_324_27920.jpg

A Male Brown-headed Cowbird was feeding here today. The females have been here for the past few days, but this is the first male to show up. Again, flooding must have pushed them my way as I have never seen one in the yard here before this week. You can see how wet the grass still is from the dew that settled in last night.