Birding.

gallery_2472_324_93630.jpg

This Male House Sparrow lives in one of the bird houses here and is our garden protector from insects. First thing in the morning he is in the chives picking off the ever emerging Cicadas. This one didn't even have a chance to uncurl its wings to start to dry and he got it.

gallery_2472_324_29752.jpg

Not 10 feet away in the cucumbers I caught sight of this Male Cardinal eating a Cicada too. I thought they only ate seeds and nuts but apparently not. That hole in the side of his neck is his ear.

Edited by MikeandRong (see edit history)

gallery_2472_324_49435.jpg

gallery_2472_324_98125.jpg

gallery_2472_324_54170.jpg

This yearling Bluejay was eyeballing the garden from 30 yards away in the 1st photo. He swoops down and grabs a Cicada and flies up and lands over my head in the 2nd photo. The 3d photo shows him ripping off the wings before he eats it.

These Bluejays must have incredible eyesight, because I have seen them spot food or an insect from 30-40 yards away and dive right to it with no fumbling around and score a direct catch.

gallery_2472_324_49016.jpg

Another big rainstorm rolled through in the late afternoon today. When it finally cleared up and the sun came back out this full size adult Male Red-bellied Woodpecker showed up soaking wet and hungry. It's too bad he is so wet, if dry he would have looked even bigger and more colorful too. Not afraid at all and acting very confident while feeding.

gallery_2472_324_86953.jpg

gallery_2472_324_61881.jpg

gallery_2472_324_10244.jpg

Storms again last night but this time it both dropped the temp from 88 to 63 by this morning. Birds are relaxed and feeding heavy. Here are 3 different Downy Woodpeckers. First photo is a yearling Female alongside a young female House Sparrow. 2nd photo is a really small baby Male, looks about just 3" big. The 3d photo is a good looking yearling Male.