Wechat and QQ Chat

Hello. Last night I was trying to chat with my Lao Po friend's daughter. We started off with QQ Chat. I am much more familiar with using that that . My new friend wanted to use Wechat. To be truthful I didn't have any/much experience using Wechat. I have it on my phone and I have been logged into for about a year but I don't even know my password for it. With QQchat video chat, we can talk, use our webcam and also type messages, all at the same time. With Wechat we were mostly sending audio packets. They were short audio files of say about 20-30 secs long. Not really live. Does any one know if I was using Wechat correctly? Are there similar Wechat features like the ones when I use QQchat. Ability to talk, video and typing all at the time. At the moment my new friend had only her mobile phone. On my mobile I am already logged( always logged on) onto Wechat and QQ chat. On my computer I am logged onto QQ chat only. Wechat is asking for a password. Not sure what that is. I hope I wrote that down somewhere. As usually with computers I learn just enough to get things to work. I wonder how to reset my password. Danb

I prefer using QQ but it often will set itself permanently resident in memory. You have to disable it using other software for the tablet or cell phone, and the task manager for the PC. It often interferes with other software.

WeChat does not seem to have those difficulties although I have only used it a short time. It is like a walkie talkie. I almost want to say Over. Sends pictures easily.

My wife's QQ account has been ransomed several times. She does not understand how to set a complex password.

WeChat is THE chat app to use nowadays, QQ tends to be kludgy.

WeChat does video calls, the short voice messenger my wife uses with her friends all the time, however if is something that needs realtime, she uses video chat.

not too sure if can text while using the video chat though.

As for logging into wechat on computer or a device like ipad, wechat presents you with a QR code, simply scan it using your phone under (Discover) and it will allow you to log in on the computer or iPad.

I use both, with Rose and others. Wechat is much more popular, but there are a couple advantages to QQ, IMHO.

That being said, however, it requires you to be at a computer to make the most of it. That's why Wechat is more popular...it;s a lot more mobile.

If you're at your trusty ol' desktop, QQ can allow you to have a video call and simultaneously utilize the instant translation features built into QQ international. I do this all the time with Rose's mom and her friends in China who don't speak English. Wechat has a translation feature, but it takes a couple of steps to translate individual messages, and I can't SEND them translated (into Chinese) like I can with QQ. The person on the other end has to select the text, pull up a menu and tell it to translate. For conversations with family or friends, that minimizes the difficulty of the language barrier, QQ definitely has it hands down.

That being said, the Chinese community here uses Wechat a lot for the sound-byte-walkie-talkie messaging, or video calls. I see it all the time....unfortunately when I see it, it's usually a lady who's also driving :sweating_buckets:

but I don't even know my password for it. y. Wechat is asking for a password. Not sure what that is. I hope I wrote that down somewhere. As usually with computers I learn just enough to get things to work. I wonder how to reset my password. Danb

WeChat Help instructions state:"

What do I do if I forget my password?

On the login page, tap 「Forgot password?」. Follow the instructions, you may retrieve your password via:
1. SMS code
2. E-mail
3. QQ ID and password
If you still can't retrieve your password, tap「Request password retrieval」on the bottom of the page and follow the instructions."