Health insurance options in California

KevinNelson

My wife and I will be going to California from Xi'an to stay, perhaps many years. But recently my wife developed a serious shoulder problem. We already have the CR-1 green card. My question is this: What are the insurance options for my wife? Initially, based on the last-year's tax return, we will be very low income. The way I see things, my wife may eventually need surgery to resolve the shoulder problem, followed by physical therapy. That can get very expensive if not insured.

Thank you,

Kevin & Amanda

Check with Healthcare.gov You will probably both qualify for 'out of season' enrollment due to your long distance move. She will qualify, regardless, as a recent Legal Immigrant. Depending on your income level you may be offered tax credits against the monthly insurance bill.

Recommend you call them. It's painless.

The tax credits have nothing to do with how much tax you paid. And, the Affordable Care Act does not allow existing condition exclusions.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)

Kevin Affordable Care Act is the easiest and cheapest way to go. Although many top insurance carrier's say they are dropping out in 2017. Blue Cross/Blue Shield and United Health Care say they are dropping out in 2017 because they have lost $475,000,000 each this last year. UHC is the largest in the country and BC/BC is like 5th place or something.

That shoulder operating is a breeze. It is the pain and rehabilitation afterwards that is tough. It took me a year to overcome it. 60 days of therapy and then continuing on my own the rest of the time. My insurance would only pay for 60 days of therapy.

Hope this helps some or at least sheds some light on the procedure for you guys.

Good luck.

Note that if the income is too low (below 133% of poverty level), you don't qualify for the tax credits; the idea is that you use Medicaid instead because you qualify for Medicaid.

But that would then create a potential disqualification for our ability to apply for a permanent green card.

Note that if the income is too low (below 133% of poverty level), you don't qualify for the tax credits; the idea is that you use Medicaid instead because you qualify for Medicaid.

But that would then create a potential disqualification for our ability to apply for a permanent green card.

If your income is too low, you are not disqualified - you simply need a joint sponsor

If you're concerned about the "public charge" aspect, See the USCIS' Public Charge Fact Sheet for a thorough discussion of the topic. Medicaid is specifically listed as NOT subject to public charge consideration.

• Like 1

We were required, as a part of our Affordable Care Act Application(s), to apply for Medicaid. Apparently some States have their own Medicaid rules. In our case, the application was denied as "ineligible." Reason- "A household member does not meet Citizenship requirements."

We were required, as a part of our Affordable Care Act Application(s), to apply for Medicaid. Apparently some States have their own Medicaid rules. In our case, the application was denied as "ineligible." Reason- "A household member does not meet Citizenship requirements."

Which state are you in? It seems strange that we are required by law to apply for something that is then not legal to apply for.