SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

This is an interesting chat between SerpentZa and laowhy86, about WeChat (Weixin) and Android app development after Google's exit. Whenever you see someone holding their phone like the girl in this picture, they are probably using WeChat.

Published on Jul 26, 2016

WeChat is the most useful tool you can use in China.

Made by the huge Chinese corporation, Tencent, WeChat is the be all and end all for social media apps. Find out why it is useful, and why you should be using it!

Hop on and find out!

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

This one is interesting - about the Chinese swimmer who was bad-mouthed by the Australian guy, and how easily a crowd mentality can turn against a foreigner. In the C-Milk-SerpentZA talk while riding the motorcycle format, but an interesting discussion, including about a scuffle C-Milk had with a taxi driver. C-Milk was found guilty, w/a 6000RMB fine, of hitting the driver, even after he had hit his wife first. Worth a listen

Sun Yang took a med that is for angina pectoris, which an Olympic swimmer can't have. Like a lot of dopers, he's probably an amazing athlete anyway, he just wanted that extra advantage.

Anyway, those are sad stories they told. An easily wounded people, but not unique to China. Credit to those guys for sticking it out with their wives.

I am a fan too. Someone turned me onto him about the Chinese money blog a while back. He got a little bit of unwanted attention for his "are chinese girls easy?" piece which is not what the title suggested. But people just don't get it and try to attack him. Wandering how long before he got sick of all the stupid attacks by local fen qin and pack up.

Someone shout post the "Do Chinese have a glass heart?" That one is even more sensitive.

Edited by jonathantwu (see edit history)

I am a fan too. Someone turned me onto him about the Chinese money blog a while back. He got a little bit of unwanted attention for his "are chinese girls easy?" piece which is not what the title suggested. But people just don't get it and try to attack him. Wandering how long before he got sick of all the stupid attacks by local fen qin and pack up.

Someone shout post the "Do Chinese have a glass heart?" That one is even more sensitive.

Look up about 2 posts above yours

While I can align some of his treatment with the occasional rallies of the masses against foreigners, I was mostly reminded of how immigrants had been treated in this country, Chinese especially. The Chinese exclusion act and whatnot. Don't know how they persevered in the face of such hostility.

It's fine to love China - or France or NYC - just don't expect it to love you back. It's just showing you it's true self. Not much worse than us wrt foreigners (at least we have green card and citizenship options).

Now Winston, any time a fella says 17 times in a 20 minute video, "I'm not upset, I've got thick skin, this only gives me a chuckle"... THEY ARE UPSET !!! :yay:

Chill out and get the lil' lady to give you a happy ending massage, son. And don't be tellin' us anymore than the 3 times you already have.... "I'm not going anywhere, I'm gonna stay in China and do what I have been doing"....we all know what that means.

If you wanna keep being the star in Chinartucky, then pucker up buttercup, kiss some butt and stop with the glass heart and white monkey stuff. It's China's restaurant, their rules only !!!

Nuttin' like seein' a man have a hissy fit...did he forget he was in China? You get along by going along. :eyebrow:

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nothing Winston describes when he talks about the "glass heart" can compare with what I went through in early May, 1999. After a nice evening celebrating Li's 26th birthday, we said good night and retired to our separate apartments on campus (this was before we were married and the powers that be would not let us live together). This was in Hefei and my first year in China. Hefei and Anhui is a very conservative part of China. About 2 am I was awakened by a brick flying through my window and landing on the bed. This was followed by a series of beer bottles, rocks, bricks etc. The phone rang and it was Li. She was hysterical. She told me to look outside. I did and my heart went to my throat. My building was surrounded by about 500 students, screaming anti-American slurs and hurling anything they could pick up. All my windows were shattered and I was more than a little concerned.

What set all this off was the NATO bombing of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade, killing three staff members. The excuse our fearless leaders gave was that it was a mistake due to the use of "outdated maps." The university confined me to my apartment for a week "for my own protection." They brought me a stash of instant noodles to live on until everything died down. My own students did not give me any grief, but a few goons from other departments made a few threats on my life. Li caught a lot of flack, being called a "traitor, etc." One of her windows was broken as well.

The fact that our planes bombed the embassy was bad enough, but the "outdated maps" explanation was the thing that really ticked them off. What with satellite imagery clearly showing the Chinese flag flying on top of the building it was pretty hard to mistake what the building was. I have an Air Force friend who was over there at the time and he was high up in the communications food chain. He said he knew they were going to bomb the embassy four or five days before the fireworks. Oh well. Anyway, that was the worse "glass heart" experience I had. I have my own theories about this whole event, but won't go into that here as it is a bit political.

After about a week, they set me free. No one on the street gave me any problems, not even any dirty looks that I saw. They did decapitate the concrete Colonel Sanders in front of the only KFC in town.

In this video I felt that Winston rambled and rambled along .I have a question. What exactly is meant by a glass heart? I googled the term on my phone and everything was referenced to songs. I googled it later on my laptop. There I got a different explanation. Is this a common term in the US or is it one used more in China? Danb

A Chinese person told me that we bombed the embassy because China was hosting a communications center for the wrong side (Serbs) at the time. There is a whole, alternate version of the event that includes such details.

Neither here nor there as they say .... being threatened like that should be an unforgettable story.

In this video I felt that Winston rambled and rambled along .I have a question. What exactly is meant by a glass heart? I googled the term on my phone and everything was referenced to songs. I googled it later on my laptop. There I got a different explanation. Is this a common term in the US or is it one used more in China? Danb

used in SerpentZA's video - easily broken, or, in this case, their feelings easily offended or directed against the foreigner

It may have been a poor choice of words, since it may have offended Chinese sensibilities in itself.

"When someone has a heart of glass, they are easily affected emotionally."

I wonder if one could says that in this video Winston's was demonstrating a heart of glass over the criticisms, reactions and intolerance of the Chinese people of some of contents of Winston's blog on China. Hmmm, I wonder if he was really rambling for real or was it intentional. What do you all think? Danb

PS. "What set all this off was the NATO bombing of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade, killing three staff members. The excuse our fearless leaders gave was that it was a mistake due to the use of "outdated maps." "

As far of the bombing of the Chinese Embassy I hope that it was not intentional and yet to says/claim that it was just an error never seem right.