SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

• 2 weeks later...

Gweilo spills some beans here - some personal stuff and his typical brand of politics, but also some information (beginning around 04:30), including that he expects to have to stay in China on a tourist (Q2, S2 student, or L) visa, but that he thinks he "might be able to work something out with the resident permit office". Doubtful. The S2 visa would allow him to stay without making border runs, but would require him to be a full time student, so I'm guessing Q2 is his best option.

He does say that he "no longer fits in in Canada", which makes it obvious that he went there only For Weifang's cancer treatments. We all make choices, that was his (and hers). Now he chooses China.

AND that he intends to continue making videos once he's finished "wallowing in self-pity".

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

On 10/23/2023 at 5:15 PM, Randy W said:

This guy's videos are usually too slow to hold my interest, but, well - he's got balls!

He ends the video abruptly, explaining why he had to leave China (for medical reasons), but it's unclear what his condition is.

The Village In China Where Women Have 2 Husbands 

There is a region in Yunnan province, in rural China, where the Mosuo people live.  The Mosuo are, shall we say, quite a distinct group of people.  They're known as one of the only truly matriarchal societies in the world: women run the show, and men are just kinda there helping out.  

But is that still the case in 2023?  Have the cultural traditions withered away, as they have in so many other regions of China?  I wanted to visit and find out.  

Most importantly, I wanted to see I could offer myself into the harem.

Here's another video from Sabbatical - interestingly, posted on Sept. 11
"The Village in China", where he posted about having to leave China was posted on Oct.23

No information about his medical condition was provided in either one. At about 26:00 in this video, he discovers the Liquan 1998 "Bill Clinton" beer

Gweilo spills some more beans, this time free of the self-pity and political ranting.

I think the PSB in Nanning can offer him a L visa with unlimited length of stay - I had one 10 years ago, but I'm not sure if they still offer those.

Under Chinese law, the house belongs to Weifang's heirs - not Gweilo. But I'm sure they will have no problem letting him stay there rent free.

He knows NO Chinese, so he will need for someone to help him pay bills, buy groceries, etc. I expect he'll get by.

8 hours ago, Randy W said:

Gweilo spills some more beans, this time free of the self-pity and political ranting.

I think the PSB in Nanning can offer him a L visa with unlimited length of stay - I had one 10 years ago, but I'm not sure if they still offer those.

Under Chinese law, the house belongs to Weifang's heirs - not Gweilo. But I'm sure they will have no problem letting him stay there rent free.

He knows NO Chinese, so he will need for someone to help him pay bills, buy groceries, etc. I expect he'll get by.

Didn't watch the video yet but my wife is from a similar tier city as Nanning and the though of staying there alone without her to help is nightmare-inducing... even staying there as a foreigner with her was challenging LOL

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Gweilo60 back on the streets in China:

Couple of thoughts that came to mind:

1. Hope he expedites his Mandarin learning, because getting stuff done on a daily basis is incredibly difficult in a city like Nanning without a Chinese spouse.
  2. I'm getting interesting vibes about the house situation. Seems like his the family is already trying to drive the situation (e.g. what to do with her remains, suggesting the house be turned over to his brother in law, etc.) The last thing I'd ever want to deal with is an inheritance in China. I've seen sibling relationships torn apart over 20k RMB as part of an inheritance. I've heard of judges being paid off. Foreigners getting screwed in favor of a Chinese national is also not uncommon. My wife specifically told her parents that she doesn't want anything and that her sister can take it all. Gweilo should be prepared to get screwed over and ready to find a rental, despite being totally in the clear. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but the chance ain't 0%.
  3. Wonder if Gweilo ends up moving to a different city. My wife is from a city similar to Nanning and while it's fun to be there with her for a couple weeks, there's just not that much to do as a single foreigner. Especially since Gweilo is functionally a tourist in Nanning and not working or going to school. I would much rather live in Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Chongqing, Shanghai or even other smaller cities like Chengdu, Suzhou, etc. Maybe even branch out to Hong Kong or Bangkok.

Once he has time to heal, it'll be interesting to see where he goes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Martin B said:

1. Hope he expedites his Mandarin learning, because getting stuff done on a daily basis is incredibly difficult in a city like Nanning without a Chinese spouse.
  2. I'm getting interesting vibes about the house situation. Seems like his the family is already trying to drive the situation (e.g. what to do with her remains, suggesting the house be turned over to his brother in law, etc.) The last thing I'd ever want to deal with is an inheritance in China. I've seen sibling relationships torn apart over 20k RMB as part of an inheritance. I've heard of judges being paid off. Foreigners getting screwed in favor of a Chinese national is also not uncommon. My wife specifically told her parents that she doesn't want anything and that her sister can take it all. Gweilo should be prepared to get screwed over and ready to find a rental, despite being totally in the clear. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but the chance ain't 0%.
  3. Wonder if Gweilo ends up moving to a different city. My wife is from a city similar to Nanning and while it's fun to be there with her for a couple weeks, there's just not that much to do as a single foreigner. Especially since Gweilo is functionally a tourist in Nanning and not working or going to school. I would much rather live in Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Chongqing, Shanghai or even other smaller cities like Chengdu, Suzhou, etc. Maybe even branch out to Hong Kong or Bangkok.

Exactly - that IS how Chinese inheritance laws work. I hope he has the wherewithal to work it all out. I think he's got enough money to weather the storm, but then building a new life is a whole different matter.

Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2024 at 2:58 AM, Martin B said:

I expect his relatives are cooperative, but you never know. But you can buy a lot in the marketplaces without any Chinese at all. I found that I would generally get a VERY good price without haggling, but my wife could get a few pennies more of a discount (laowai discount, as I thought of it) by accusing them of charging a foreigner too much. It was embarassing more than anything else - I'd rather pay the fair price when they're sitting out in the hot sun selling something I wanted - e.g. a $200 camera (actually bought indoors but still haggled over by the wife).

But as long as Gweilo can hang on to his wife's residence, he'll be okay. Yes, it was paid for and is in Weifang's name, exactly the situation I'd be in if something were to happen to Jaiying.

Trying to move and/or buying a new residence has a major disaster potential behind it.

Here's an update:

Looks like the family is already trying to squeeze him for money. He describes the "feeding frenzy" when family members "smell money" and talks about family coming out of the woodwork looking to shake him down. One cousin suggested he "donate" 100k RMB to a "family fund" (LOL), while in a previous video another family member suggested the house be titled in his brother-in-laws name which was a "point of contention" - YIKES. Gweilo is at a major disadvantage being a grieving foreigner who speaks no Chinese, isn't familiar with the legal system, has no guangxi, and is vastly outnumbered by money-hungry family. I think is just the beginning of his troubles and will be a first-hand crash course in the "fairness" of the Chinese legal system.

Edited by Martin B (see edit history)
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Martin B said:

Here's an update:

Looks like the family is already trying to squeeze him for money. He describes the "feeding frenzy" when family members "smell money" and talks about family coming out of the woodwork looking to shake him down. One cousin suggested he "donate" 100k RMB to a "family fund" (LOL), while in a previous video another family member suggested the house be titled in his brother-in-laws name which was a "point of contention" - YIKES. Gweilo is at a major disadvantage being a grieving foreigner who speaks no Chinese, isn't familiar with the legal system, has no guangxi, and is vastly outnumbered by money-hungry family. I think is just the beginning of his troubles and will be a first-hand crash course in the "fairness" of the Chinese legal system.

No - that's the "anything goes" system at work.He needs a lawyer, but the lawyer won't do him much good at this point.

Sad but true - your family members have more rights than you do as the laowai husband.

But it doesn't sound like they're hitting him up for a LOT - watch the movie I Care A Lot on Netflix for more old people woes.