SerpentZA and Other Vloggers

Randy W

Yes, the vegetable dance was cringeworthy. Yes, JaYoe and company should've probably been more forthcoming about the trip being sponsored. But who cares? This was a trip to promote organic vegetable greenhouses in some random village, not an elaborate scheme to use JaYoe or Barrett in anti-US propaganda. The YouTube scene on both sides, both pro and anti-China, is trash nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

Then the London Times picks up on it. I expect the Barretts were a little more vocal about the pro-China stuff, but I don't watch those two. Matt will respond tomorrow morning.

No. We are not "funded" by the Chinese Government. Let me tell you my side. Original Article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/beijing-funds-british-youtubers-to-further-its-propaganda-war-x5gqp5fg0

This is getting a little stale, but here it is.

Apparently they got an entire page in the Times, with the Barrett's photos plastered under a zinger of a headline... borders on being a trollish hit piece IMO, but I guess when you get involved in China/western politics there's probably going to be some blowback...

JaYoe's "rebuttal" vids are so dull... and it's always the same reply "even though CRI paid for everything, told us where to go, what to say, what not to say blah blah blah we're totally independent and unbiased"...

The Barretts are fairly giddy and vocal about their "utopian" life. Daniel Dumbrill is also pretty politically vocal - he even got sucked into a debate with an anti-China Xinjiang activist. His latest title - A Reflection on American Foreign Policy Arrogance & Hypocrisy

Gweilo is fairly giddy politically also, but managed to lay fairly low during the Vegetable Caper.

I would think they would want to lay VERY low politically. Suggestions: DON'T refer to 'Taiwan' as "the Taiwan Province of China", and DON'T try to defend the Xinjiang re-education camps. AND take it easy with the sponsored trips.

Me? I'm just glad I'm not a YouTuber.

pg 1.jpg

pg 2.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Randy W said:

The Barretts are fairly giddy and vocal about their "utopian" life. Daniel Dumbrill is also pretty politically vocal - he even got sucked into a debate with an anti-China Xinjiang activist. His latest title - A Reflection on American Foreign Policy Arrogance & Hypocrisy

Gweilo is fairly giddy politically also, but managed to lay fairly low during the Vegetable Caper.

I would think they would want to lay VERY low politically. Suggestions: DON'T refer to 'Taiwan' as "the Taiwan Province of China", and DON'T try to defend the Xinjiang re-education camps. AND take it easy with the sponsored trips.

Me? I'm just glad I'm not a YouTuber.

Amen to that. I agree with a lot of their vids that show the positive side to China - because there are a lot of things I like about China. I used to love Gweilo's old vids when he had <10k subs. I like the Barrett Huawei/tech videos. But getting involved in politics (whatever side you're on) just seems too risky to me. You're either going to get into trouble in China if you cross one line, or start receiving backlash in your home country if you cross the other line. Making videos defending the Xinjiang camps, or defending China's early takeback of HK, is flat-out reckless IMO. My guess is that little boy Barrett I is pretty damn upset about that article and his face plastered all over it. Worst part is that IMO the dad is the bigger offender. Those articles stick for life, no matter what "rebuttal" videos they come out with. 

Winston doesn't let up . . .

YouTubers taking money from the Chinese Government, pushing communist party propaganda and constantly attacking the west, are these things connected? Are these guys really Traitors? Is this a misunderstanding or perhaps it's something in-between? Come and find out...

Much more than what I would care to have to listen to

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=258353832314184&id=100044187081491

17 hours ago, Randy W said:

Winston doesn't let up . . .

Much more than what I would care to have to listen to

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=258353832314184&id=100044187081491

I'm surprised he's going full-on attack mode now after so many months of "I don't attack other youtubers". And just a few years ago those two guys actually made a video together in Shenzhen - someone recently re-posted this video on Reddit:

Man how times have changed, and it's almost heartbreaking to see, looking back, and now know that this video basically market the end of an absolutely awesome era.  Really depressing to see what's become of the YouTube community and China/America relations in general. 

. . . and Winston mentions that video in his latest - You CAN'T understand China if you CAN'T understand Chinese! - but basically just toots his own horn to explain why he's SO much better at understanding China. He claims Matt JaYoe "can't speak Chinese for shit" - but "not to say that that's a bad thing".

And I just listened to one from Cyrus Janssen explaining why Jack Ma's "disappearance" may be a GOOD thing in terms of China's culture (Jack Ma has resurfaced, by the way) in a video where my only thought was, "Just because you may be right doesn't mean it's not complete BS".

One thing about YouTubers, though, is that they have to keep up interest in their channels through regular videos. Maybe the quality will improve once the Covid stuff lightens up.

Jack Ma resurfacing . . .

Matt JaYoe digs up some pre-COVID footage.

The "lost drone" sequence begins around 3:57, and is an interesting story in itself.

*** Recorded January 6, 2020 *** Rode to Krabi town to prepare to take a ferry south to Malaysia via Langkawi.  Before I left I gave you an overview of some things I replaced on the trike.  Along the way, I had some drone trouble.

A nice little walk through a maintained but unrestored little village

This Old Chinese Village was established during the Song Dynasty, about 800 years ago. The Song Dynasty life in rural areas was simple and can still be seen when you travel in China today. This old Chinese village virtual tour of Niu Guo Lang shows a striking contrast against the bustling cities of China today, especially with over 80 well-preserved architectural buildings from the Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty. 

In 2021 you can still find old Chinese history while visiting an ancient Chinese village such as this one. 

the Point from CGTN

How dare they speak well of China? There must be a reason. @TheTimes says British YouTubers are being funded by Beijing to make pro-China videos on topics like Hong Kong, Xinjiang and Chinese infrastructure. However, the article is missing a few key points, like evidence and the other side of the story. Any response from the YouTubers themselves is notably missing in the article. But we managed to get a hold of them and give them a chance to share their side of the story. How do they choose what content to post? Where do they get their funding? And are they getting harassed for saying positive things about the country where they live? Don't miss this week's #HeadlineBuster.

. . . and the Global Times comes to (hopefully) the conclusion here that

Media outlets often represent the mentality of the elites in a country. But it is doubtful how many people in the West can still be brainwashed by their media outlets. At least judging from the views made under Barrett's videos on YouTube, only a few people believe what the Western media outlet said in this article.

Why The Times does not want readers to see true life in China

• 2 weeks later...

Our friend Kiun B obstructs traffic and then finds someone to practice her English with

The area with traditional Chinese houses in Beijing is called the Hutong area. Hutongs are Beijing’s traditional alleyways and the foundation of old Beijing. 
Life there is so different from what we are used to yet very peaceful and rich.

You can rent out the traditional hutong house here: https://www.wellcee.com/rent-apartment/1609118118424687

. . . and the the Guinness Book of World Records holder Chinese YouTube blogger (I posted three of her videos in the Those Chinese Videos topic)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/49227-those-chinese-videos/?do=findComment&comment=643656

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/49227-those-chinese-videos/?do=findComment&comment=642693

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/49227-those-chinese-videos/?do=findComment&comment=642657

from CGTN on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/565225540184937/posts/5730436006997172/

Chinese Internet celebrity #LiZiqi broke her own record with 14.1 million followers to become the most-subscribed-to Chinese YouTube blogger in the Guinness Book of World Records. She has over 20 million followers on overseas platforms.

. . . and her most recent video

• 2 weeks later...

Another perspective on the "vegetable dance" live streamers. This one is about another live streamer in Xinjiang.

Winston claims that they are producing "Communist propaganda".

A quote from the video - "We certainly can't afford to pay for Internet celebrities."

from the Sixth Tone
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1540207169507272

With the COVID-19 pandemic disrupting markets and supply chains, many of China’s city mayors and heads of villages, townships, and counties have turned to livestreaming to boost the sales of regional agricultural products. He Jiaolong is one such local leader livestreamer.

China’s Low-Level Leaders Livestream to Boost Local Sales
With the COVID-19 pandemic disrupting markets and supply chains, many of China’s city mayors and heads of villages, townships, and counties have turned to livestreaming to boost the sales of regional agricultural products. He Jiaolong is one such local leader livestreamer.