WeChat Chinese Version has a wallet feature

Who knew? Not me. My wife's cousin in China sent (transferred) money last night to my wife who is here in the US.

How? WeChat Chinese version has a 'wallet' feature. My English version of WeChat on my USA version cell phone does not have it. My wife put her China based phone sim card into the Samsung Notepad 4 she bought last year in China. Up popped a message from the cousin about money has been transferred. My wife then used her WeChat wallet to 'send' the money to her CCB bank account.

On a side note, now when my wife uses her China based CCB credit card here in the US to make an online purchase in China, she is able to receive the cell phone confirmation code message required in China on the Notepad, also here in the US. When she first inserted the Sim card into the Notepad she had to accept "Use this for International Roaming" or some such message.

An example from a web search; "Chinese WeChat users can now find a new "shua ka" or "Small Payment" feature inside the "Wallet" section of the app. Pressing the icon and entering one's password for WeChat payments will automatically generate a QR code or a barcode. Using that, one can make in-store payments in such places as Dairy Queen and supermarket chain One Plus One where the retailers can scan the code to accept payments." at-

http://english.cri.cn/12394/2014/09/15/1261s844219.htm

Seems to be a China only feature. Does not seem to provide this option on the Me screen on my iPhone.

http://onestop.globaltimes.cn/wp-content/uploads/Wallet-a.jpg

http://onestop.globaltimes.cn/can-foreigners-use-wechat-wallet-function-if-so-how/

The English version of WeChat has this Wallet feature too, and I use it all the time.

After you update your WeChat to the newest version, you'll have it as well.

Well, I've had my phone 3 days. I just downloaded WeChat over the weekend. I don't reckon it could get a newer than that. I'll try updating it when I figure out how. I found some online blah-blah regarding changing the phone's (USA) Language and/or Wechat's Language, then power off and on. Tried all that to no avail. Still, no wallet.

Like Dan said, though, it may be a China-only feature. dan1984 is in China - the others who have posted here are in the U.S.

I can imagine that it would only tie in to financial systems in China, and NOT in the U.S.

Yeah, what Dan and Randy said.

Summarizing- My wife is in the US. My wife is using a Samsung Notepad 4. She bought the Notepad 4 in China last year. She has wallet.

I do not have wallet. I bought my Samsung phone in the USA last week.

We have both updated WeChat.

More on this: "After launching WeChat Payments as part of a v5.0 update for the app last August, Chinese users can bind their bank cards to the app and begin completing monetary transactions."

Emphasis on Chinese users is mine.

https://www.techinasia.com/5-ways-wechat-is-innovative/

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)

We uninstalled Wechat from my USA based phone. We downloaded a Chinese version of WeChat from a Chinese web site. Now, both the phone and WeChat are set for Chinese Language.

My USA based phone Wechat has "My Wallet."

Switch the phone to English. 'wallet' disappears.

Try again, switch the phone language to Chinese. Wallet reappears. Turn off the phone and power back on and switch to English. Wallet appears. Select Wallet. Return to the 'main' WeChat screen.

Wallet disappeared.

We uninstalled Wechat from my USA based phone. We downloaded a Chinese version of WeChat from a Chinese web site. Now, both the phone and WeChat are set for Chinese Language.

My USA based phone Wechat has "My Wallet."

Switch the phone to English. 'wallet' disappears.

Try again, switch the phone language to Chinese. Wallet reappears. Turn off the phone and power back on and switch to English. Wallet appears. Select Wallet. Return to the 'main' WeChat screen.

Wallet disappeared.

Really strange. I am about the farthest thing from a technical wiz, so I don't know why you are experiencing this - especially after downloading the Chinese version. I too have the Chinese version but toggled the language to English - and the Wallet functions appears and works like normal. I order food online and pay via this WeChat Wallet function, send and receive money to/from friends (transfer back and forth instantly - really really convenient), and if I have a freelance project every now and then am even being paid by this method occasionally. Hmmmm. Really strange, sorry I don't have any tangible advice :(