My mom and 6-y-o niece passed B2 interview on April 9

Do any of the documents and/or letters from the USA (provided by my wife and I) need to be notarized?

Nothing needs to be notarized.

We had mum visit us for a few months last year, we simply sent over a letter of invitation detailing what we had planned for her visit, and sent an I-134 to show how she will be supported while visiting.

Is the I-134 a required document or a "nicety"?

In either case, should the primary income earner fill it out?

My wife has a job but I do not think she makes enough money that the DOS would consider adequate for support for an extended visit.

If I fill it out, do I have to reference the I-134's that were submitted for my wife and son's K1/K2 visa?

Is the I-134 a required document or a "nicety"?

In either case, should the primary income earner fill it out?

My wife has a job but I do not think she makes enough money that the DOS would consider adequate for support for an extended visit.

If I fill it out, do I have to reference the I-134's that were submitted for my wife and son's K1/K2 visa?

They are evidence which will show both financial and moral support for the trip.It sounds like you are the best sponsor for the trip.The section where it asks about other immigrants you are supporting is probably unnecessary in this context, but I would fill out the form to the best of your ability - i.e., answer the questions.

Yes, if you provide an I-134, you need to reference the I-864 that you filed when you adjusted status. Note the I-134s used for K-1/K-2 only covered the time from arrival in the states util they got green-cards, after which they I-864 attached to the I-485 when adjusting status kick in.

I apologize for asking what could be deemed lame questions on such a straight forward process, but I and I alone am on the hook for getting the DS-160 application completed as well as rounding up all the supporting documents.

And I and I alone will be held accountable if my mother-in-law's visa is denied (this was a decree, an edict, levied on me by my loving, caring wife).

So with fate of the free world in my trembling hands, I want to make extra sure that I understand this process so that I minimize the chance of making a mistake that could cost my mother-in-law her visa.

1. Does the I-134 get submitted prior to or in parallel with the DS-160? Or is it submitted at the time of the visa interview?

2. Do any documents get submitted prior to or in parallel with the DS-160? Or are they all submitted at the time of the visa interview?

3. Should my mother-in-law have all the supporting documents in hand prior to officially submitting the DS-160 for processing or can they be arrive after the DS-160 is officially submitted?

4. It is my understanding that pressing the submit button on the on-line application is the official applicant signature. Can I submit (i.e. sign the application) on my mother-in-law's behalf. I do not believe she can do it herself nor will she be able to find anyone who can help her. The risk is that if there is an error message displayed or something goes wrong, no one will be able to explain it to me in a language or manner that I would understand in order for me to fix the problem.

I would prefer just to do it myself, but I do not want to invalidate the application by doing so.

Thank you for all your help,

-Squonk

1. I-134 is brought into interview.

2. Nope, DS-160 is done on line, and fee bill generated on CGI US travel docs site then fee is paid at a CITIC bank.

3. This is a visit visa application, no supporting docs other than things to have at interview.

4. Yes you can, as well as do the process on the CGI site as well as set the interview date.

This is what my wife and I did last year.

• 2 weeks later...

From the DOS DS-160: Frequently Asked Questions section:

Can a third party complete the form on my behalf? Who is exempt from signing the form?

If an applicant is illiterate or unable to complete the application, the applicant must be assisted by a third party. The third party must be identified on the “Sign and Submit” page of the application. While the third party can assist the applicant in completing the application, he or she must instruct the applicant on how to endorse the application on his or her own behalf by clicking the “Sign Application” button

Not knowing how these interviews are conducted and what questions are asked, what is the risk that the Foreign Affairs Office will ask my mother-in-law a question concerning the above process?

Edited by Squonk (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a couple of follow-up questions (maybe silly, but just paranoid) to the above:

me and wife trying to help wife's mom (wife has green card for 1.5 years) apply for tourist visa, who lives in Shanghai.

1) does the invitation letter need to be in english and chinese (wife's mom can't read english)? i will be writing the invitation letter. wife will be going back to shanghai in a few weeks to visit parents. can she just give them the letter? or it's better i mail it so there's a "stamped" date on it.

2) Writing english only for the letter to VO is fine? Do they need chinese too?

2) should wife accommodate her mom to the US embassy? or better if mom go to the interview alone?

3) i believe she's receiving pension/retirement income, but she is definitely still working (very low income job). bringing both of these support documents should make the case stronger, correct? Or either one is okay? i also intend to fill out a i-134 for her(just in case...).

4) her dad won't applying for a visa. he doesn't like to fly (phobia, i guess...?). sounds funny, but would this be a valid reason to tell VO if asked "why your husband not applying with you" ?

thanks for the help and advice!

1) We emailed invite letter to my wife's sister who then printed it out for Mum, English only was fine.

2) English only was fine

3) Mum went to interview in Guangzhou by herself, I believe sister in law traveled with her, however mum was only allowed in the consulate.

4) I-134 shows how she will be supported while visiting, and yes the pension and job shows intent to return to China, we sent her an I-134

5) Actually that would also show ties to China and intent to return to China rather than stay in the USA.

From the DOS DS-160: Frequently Asked Questions section:

Can a third party complete the form on my behalf? Who is exempt from signing the form?

If an applicant is illiterate or unable to complete the application, the applicant must be assisted by a third party. The third party must be identified on the “Sign and Submit” page of the application. While the third party can assist the applicant in completing the application, he or she must instruct the applicant on how to endorse the application on his or her own behalf by clicking the “Sign Application” button

Not knowing how these interviews are conducted and what questions are asked, what is the risk that the Foreign Affairs Office will ask my mother-in-law a question concerning the above process?

Simply fill in the section about third party doing the I-160, the consulate does understand since the page is in English that the likelihood of having a third person do the form is high.

• 5 weeks later...

My mother-in-law passed her B-2 visa interview (the first time) and was awarded a 10 year visa.

I am once again surprised at the ease in which a visa that I am involved with is awarded.

Only 3 questions were asked. Why do you want visit the US? How long do you intend to stay? May I please see your retirement information?

Although my mother-in-law brought a hefty data package, my wife's invitation to her, letter for the Consulate, I-134 with all the supporting data, copies of passports, copies GC's, marriage certificates, etc...none of this data was evaluated.

The same thing happened with my wife's K1 a few years back. Very simple questions were asked with no request to see any of the data that my wife brought except for pictures of her and son together when he was a very young

I helped a few of my wife's friends husbands in their preparation (complete, comprehensive data packages) and once again it turned out in the end to be seemingly overkill and unnecessary.

I would not never change my approach in preparing for a visa (I have followed the advice and suggestions offered on this website), but it seems based on my experience in dealing with these visas there is something happening behind the scenes at the Consulate and that a decision has already been reached before the beneficiary reaches the window.

Congratulations!!!!!!

Yep, I would strongly expect that the decision is already made before our loved ones step up to the window.

My wife told me years ago that she knew for a fact that B-2 visa's were going to become more easily to obtain. She would not tell me how she knew or who told her. No one here believe her but as you can see it has come to pass. She has never been wrong in these matters at least so far.

Edit to add: It is my belief that in the future it will get even easier unless something blows up.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)